• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

UTH and substrate

Quasar

We're going to be getting a baby corn snake in a couple weeks, so right now we're just setting stuff up. We have a 29 gallon glass aquarium we'll be using and heating it with a small reptitherm UTH. I'm wondering if this is big enough? The tank is 30"×13" and the pad is 8"×6". Room temp is generally around 70°. The pad will have a thermostat to regulate the temp. I thought I read somewhere the warm side should be about 1/4-1/3 of the tank, but now I'm now so sure and am wondering if I should go for a larger heat mat.

Also, I'm going to be using Aspen as the substrate for burrowing. Do I need an additional buffer of felt or reptile liner to prevent burns, or is the bedding sufficient?

I'm afraid the heat pad is too small. A larger one with a thermostat is a better choice, but if your thermostat can handle two pads that would even be better. The large pad on one end and the smaller one on the other. The aspen substrate will be fine as long as you can regulate the heat. There's a big difference in aspen substrate. I use aspen shavings so they don't pack down.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, when the heating pad came today I looked at it and thought it looked way too small. Maybe I'll use it for the cooler side or return it.

I have the specific ZooMed Aspen snake bedding. I'm not sure if that changes the recommendation.

Many snake keepers/breeders use the ZooMed because of its high absorbancy. i don't like it because I bought a hatchling that died of an impaction due to that aspen two weeks after I bought her. I know it didn't happen at my house because I raise hatchlings on paper towels. Others have told me the small pieces should pass through the snakes, but that info didn't help me. It didn't pass through. So now I use shavings for my larger corns. If I were you I would use the ZooMed, since you already bought it, but feed the baby in another container until it is larger. It should be fine as a substrate, but I can't tell you how deep it should be before it restricts the heat too much. I'd guess at one inch, but perhaps someone who uses it can give you a better answer.

Back