CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Holes in Tubs?

Old 05-09-2019, 06:01 PM   #1
Dennis Gulla
Holes in Tubs?

In the past, regardless of what species of snakes I’ve owned, if they were in tubs the tubs had holes on all sides for ventilation. As I’m starting over and doing my research, I’ve seen some videos on YouTube where people are showing their rack systems and snakes. In some of the videos I’ve noticed a lot of people don’t have holes in their tubs. Is it an unnecessary waste of time?

Old 05-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #2
Twolunger
I have 15 quart containers and half of them have holes that I poked in with a hot nail. I bought more of the same size and didn't poke any holes and there's no problem with the snakes. I have 28 quart containers and they have about a six inch gap on the edge about 1/4 inch deep, so no ventilation holes were poked in them.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #3
Dennis Gulla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I have 28 quart containers and they have about a six inch gap on the edge about 1/4 inch deep, so no ventilation holes were poked in them.
Thank you for your reply, but I’m a bit confused about that. Could you explain or possibly show a picture?

Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #4
Twolunger
I bought my Sterilite 28 quart storage containers at Home Depot but Walmart also had them. There is a lid that snaps on to each end and and I think the edge of the container has a slight cut out where the lid snaps on. Saying it another way, if you turn the container over and lay it on a flat surface without the lid, like a table, there's about a 1/4 inch gap on each end right in the middle. Stop in at your local WalMart or Home Depot and check out them out.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:16 AM   #5
Dennis Gulla
I get now! 1/4 gap six inches wide where the lids would snap on. Thank you! So I’m thinking, unless I hear otherwise, I’m not going to worry about putting holes on all sides of my tubs.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
Twolunger
I bought a sub-adult corn a few years ago and he was shipped from Idaho to Florida. He didn't show up the next day and FedEx said their pilot couldn't fly because of the weather in their Memphis hub. He was delivered on the third day and when I opened the box he was in a large deli cup with no air holes. Their were no air holes punched in the box either. Apparently, their respiration does not deplete the available oxygen very fast. My hatchling rack has containers with no air holes, but since I feed them every 4 or 5 days there is sufficient air.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Cane
I only have 2 corns (so far!) so I don't have the need to go to racks yet but my thoughts on this are that extra ventilation won't hurt with corn snakes. With a high humidity species I wouldn't bother but I think the extra air flow can benefit the corn's quality of life. They can do fine in stale waste scented air but......

Old 05-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
Dennis Gulla
So I’ll probably put a few holes on all sides, just not as many as I used to.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
dave partington
I put a single row of holes half way up on one side,
a double row of holes across the top edge of the other side,
air moves through the vivs thanks to the magic of physics
a cheap soldering iron from a tool import store works well

Old 05-14-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Dennis Gulla
Thanks for the tip?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google