CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Newb genetics question

Old 10-03-2010, 05:23 PM   #1
yellermelon
Newb genetics question

Is there any visual way of telling amel from hypo amel? I bred a pair of amels het anery (as they was sold to me) and expected snows. Instead I got 4 normal looking babies and 4 snow looking babies. After a few weeks the snows looked almost the same as the normals just a little creamier. The normal amels was very high white and the red on the "snows" looks more orange. Anyway strongly resemble a coral to me. I sold all but one. I can get pics of parents and that one if anyone is interested in helping me.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
airenlow
I don't believe there is a way to visually tell them apart, for sure. Pics of everybody couldn't hurt though...

Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #3
yellermelon
Post them in a lil while

Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
Susan
Amels can be very light at hatching with the red color coming in later, usually you can see much more after just a shed or two. Here is an excellent example of how light an amel can be at hatching and how it looks after it's first and then second shed: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=104895

Old 10-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
yellermelon
Adult female

adult male

babies

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz317/yellermelon/geckos/DSC_0942.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-03-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
wstphal
It's hard to be sure but you have two different types of hatchlings, bright and pale. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2nd one turn out to be a hypo or something like that. Keep us posted as they develop, OK?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #7
yellermelon
Yeah the one pictured second is the only one I kept....I'll get update pics soon

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google