CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Will a corn snake eat other snakes?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:51 AM   #41
boabass6
Since everyone including me are not presenting very many facts and are just expressing their ideas, I will say I have a theory as to why snakes will cuddle. I should mention I have gotten a lot of bogus insults telling me I am being selfish for co habbing the snakes and that snakes don't need affection.

I never said the snakes needed affection or intimacy. I also don't think they hate being with each other. My original question was about weather or not a corn snake will eat other snakes. This has turned into a completely new discussion which is fine. I just wish people presented more facts or experiences rather than insults and unfounded beliefs.

I believe snakes cuddle because there is power in numbers. I see them all the time in the wild together, under boards and under logs, or sometimes basking in a blank spot in the field. I know eventually they go their separate ways, and in captivity they can't do this. My idea is if they have a big enough cage and it is kept clean, they should be fine. If your going to say they are under stress because they can't escape, then why keep snakes in captivity in the first place? If you guys want me to change my mind, then please provide research on the topic.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #42
BloodyBaroness
Quote:
Originally Posted by boabass6 View Post

@BloodyBaroness- Your making a good argument thus far about behavior and habitats, but if what your saying about animals being confined is true, then why keep snakes in captivity at all? If I do not want my snakes to get sick, then I should take precautions about making sure they have good husbandry...
ALREADY ANSWERED. I will put it in bold, heck I even underlined it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post

Until snakes grow vocal chords we have to based our standards of care off of their natural behavior. Natural behavior is not being trapped in a small space with another snake that they may secretly hate, but can't get away from. Sure natural behavior is also not being in a 20 gallon viv to start, but that's why we as keepers provide stimulating cage environments and add in what enrichment we can. It's our responsibility to give each animal the best care possible within the scope of that animals needs.

Quote:
If you guys can make better contribution in the matter I might be willing to separate the bulls. I don't want them to get sick or hurt each other. I've been keeping snakes since I was a kid, sometimes together sometimes separate. I don't like the idea of keeping two different species together, but I've kept garder snakes and black racers. What it all comes down to is my experience has taught me same species co-habbing as it is called here, does not bring harm, but I am not so sure about two different species. I know my bulls are growing, and my bull snake seems to be growing faster than my north Mexican pine. I know bull snakes eat other snakes, and so I would separate them because of size. If they didn't eat other snakes, like red tailed boas, I would not be concerned.
At this point I am calling a spade a spade. This seems to be nothing more than a passive aggressive trolling argument.

Good luck with your snakes. You have been given MOUNTAINS of good advice.

I suggest you take some of it to heart.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 AM   #43
boabass6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyBaroness View Post
ALREADY ANSWERED. I will put it in bold, heck I even underlined it.

At this point I am calling a spade a spade. This seems to be nothing more than a passive aggressive trolling argument.

Good luck with your snakes. You have been given MOUNTAINS of good advice.

I suggest you take some of it to heart.
Take what to heart? I can't even understand your argument. This is a debate, and it is not trolling. Calling me a troll and a spade a spade does not contribute to the debate. If you believe so much in what you are saying, please provide research or experience. So far there has been some, but I will need more.

Should also point out to what someone said about bull snakes not having other snakes in their diet: Bull snakes will eat other snakes, in fact, they even said to kill rattle snakes. I have heard this is true from some research, and not true from others so I can't say for sure, but it might be possible. They can be very aggressive. Thankfully my bulls are small and don't bite, but the Mexican Pine will shake his tail when I hold him.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #44
boabass6
Here is something that might interest people. This guy claims that keeping snakes separate is a general rule but he admits to keeping his North Mexican Pines together:
http://www.thirdeyeherp.com/mextext.htm

I should say in light of the fact that the bull snakes can sometimes eat each other and my bull snake is growing much bigger than my pine snake I might separate them.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #45
dan803
By saying the behavior is "power in numbers," all you did was project human emotions on them. That is just close-minded as the people on the other side who believe reptiles are simple creatures with no emotions of any kind. Solitary animals are hard to comprehend in humans because we are social, so having a belief set in stone like that is just ignorance.

Just because I've accepted the fact that they aren't social with each other doesn't mean I don't keep an open mind. I believe they may have some sort of 6th sense... they sense fear and it makes them more likely to tense up. But when you are calm, there is a sort of mutual respect and I think they may enjoy the positive energy or something. Just little things I think about sometimes.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #46
starsevol
Quote:
I know eventually they go their separate ways, and in captivity they can't do this. My idea is if they have a big enough cage and it is kept clean, they should be fine. If your going to say they are under stress because they can't escape, then why keep snakes in captivity in the first place? If you guys want me to change my mind, then please provide research on the topic.
Um because they can't escape EACH OTHER. THAT is what stresses them out.

Sadly, animals kept by idiots ALWAYS end up suffering.
It has happened since the dawn of time, and is not likely to change anytime soon.

MY experiance.....
housed 2 corns together TEMPORARILY because a heating element in one of my racks burnt out and nearly burned down my house. I had never believed in co habbing but had to make an exception. (and was too stupid and inexperianced to realize that Walmart had these cheap plastic bins).
Female got gravid, and died eggbound.
If she had been kept by herself, guess what, she would still be here!!
<<< my avatar is one of the few eggs that hatched.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #47
boabass6
Are you sure it was because the two snakes were together? Perhapse adapting to new heating changes spawned the stress...

Old 04-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #48
starsevol
Quote:
Are you sure it was because the two snakes were together? Perhapse adapting to new heating changes spawned the stress...
Well, if they had not been together, there would have been no eggs to get stuck and kill her. So, yes. She died because they were together. (She had been sexed as a male by the guy I got her from)

Old 04-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #49
boabass6
How did the other snake contribute to her death? Are you saying it is because she got pregnant?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #50
Gungirl
wow .... boabass6 you really seem to be just looking for a fight. I really hope that none of your snakes suffer because of your lack of common sense.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google