CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Basking

Old 06-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #1
bauch1234
Basking

So ive heard when most people turn the light on there snake will come out and bask the past two days (i just got 3 days ago him still trying to get night temps worked out) the day before night temp was 75 last night it was 60 he burrowed last night and didn't come out for 3 hours so i got him out he was cold to the touch why did he not come out was he just to cold

Old 06-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauch1234 View Post
So ive heard when most people turn the light on there snake will come out and bask the past two days (i just got 3 days ago him still trying to get night temps worked out)..........
You should have had the cage set up, in place, completely furnished, tested and ready to go, before you ever got the snake.

Corn snakes are not basking snakes. My snake never basks, Whoever told you that is an idiot. The snake needs darkness at night just as it needs light during the day. 12 hours of light, 12 hours of dark. (I keep my light on a timer so I don't have to mess with it.)

Your temps should not be getting that cold at night. You're supposed to have a heat pad under the tank with a thermostat to make sure that doesn't happen. A light is not going to help, as the snake needs darkness at night.

You should have 1 end of the cage heated to about 85 degrees, the other side should stay between 70 and 75.

If the cage gets too cool, your snake will think it's winter and go into a form of hibernation. They need warmth to keep their metabolism active otherwise they get very slow and sluggish, they won't eat or digest properly, and could even get ill.

"Consistency" is always a good thing. Keep your temps the same, year 'round regardless of what the temps outside are.

Old 06-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #3
Dragonling
On rare occasions you will find them basking in the wild, but more typically on cooler days when it's much warmer in the sun than in the shade. Consider that your body temperature is 96°F where a well-regulating corn's should be no more than 80-83°F...naturally he will feel cool to the touch.

Old 06-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
bauch1234
I know I should have shame on me but the heat pad just isn't enough I have to have a night light as well got in from pet smart I had to get the right wattage it's why it changed that much but now I have it so that should be fixed and thanks for telling me that didn't know they didn't bask

Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
DollysMom
Sometimes my snakes will stay on the cool side for days at a time. Our job is to provide a proper heat gradient. Their job is to use it as they choose.

Don't worry, you'll get there. Remember you are better than most new owners out there. You are here, asking and learning. Best wishes.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
obboi34
Keep in mind that your snake will almost always feel cold to the touch. They do best at 82F or so and our skin temp is usually around 91F. As long as they have a gradient that they can use and you have a way to regulate their temperature, ideally with a thermostat, you'll be just fine. An overhead light is more for our aesthetic than anything else.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google