CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

cuddling corn snakes

Old 12-15-2004, 03:12 AM   #11
princess
Red face

My 3 big snakes are all under brumation in separate tubs just now, but normally the adults live all together in a large, communal visplay viv. Then I keep my little ones (4 hatchlings from June/July this year) in a smaller terrarium. I feed them all in a plastic box outside their home terrariums but I feed them pretty much at the same time. I put one in the box, give her a mouse...the heads not even half down and I give the 2nd one her mouse and set her down in the box beside the 1st...etc. I'll end up with 4 hatchlings in a plastic tub with mice dissapearing to various degrees at the same time.
Only my adult amel seems to not like eating in company, so I feed her last with the lid on the tub and when I come back 5 mins later, mouse is gone and tummy has a bulge!

I'm at the first steps of building a rack system, so from march next year or so, I'll have most of my corns, if not all housed sepparately. I was keeping and feeding my snakes all together before I know about cannibalism issues and it has never been an issue for me (I don't think anyone told my snakes they could snack on each other!!) but in the future I'll house them appart to remove any unnessesary risk factors.

Old 12-15-2004, 03:17 AM   #12
princess
One more thought...

Oh, I forgot to add. Even when offered 3 or more hides, they invariably end up in the same one...so I really doubt they find each others presence annoying, threatening or frightning. Just make sure the little ones stay well fed on a regular schedule and don't overcrowd them or it could be an issue. The only problem I could see with adults housed together would be a female being unintentionally bred, or 2 males getting territorial and fighting in the breeding season.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #13
darkpbstar
that is good info. THX.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:58 AM   #14
MegF.
Are there three hides available in the same area, or one in each section? It may be that they prefer the same temps and that's the hide available. Anyway, my only worry would be disease. Especially putting newly aquired snakes in with established collections. You don't know if the new ones are healthy or not. Good way to lose your entire bunch.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:27 PM   #15
cornman1979
I should have mentioned that a new snake need's to be quarentined, i quarentine mine for 6 weeks then have a stool sample exampled, just to make sure that their is nothing showing up, and when i get the test result's back, if it's clear (i have had 1 bad one in the last 15 snakes) only then will i put the snake in with another.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #16
darkpbstar
yea the guy I get them from take relaly good care of them, and knows when they have diseases adn stuff, and I have already learned my new snake. And he told me some stuff.

Old 12-18-2004, 07:39 AM   #17
Itsnowingcorns
Cornman1979, what a familiar scene! My snow and amel curl up like this!

Old 12-18-2004, 09:53 AM   #18
cornman1979
It's a brillant sight isn't it, knowing they get on great and "seem to" enjoy each other's company, this 1 is a favorate of mine

Old 12-18-2004, 10:35 AM   #19
Itsnowingcorns
How cute! When I have some more batteries for my camera I will post a pic of mine together.

Old 12-18-2004, 08:14 PM   #20
darkpbstar
that is a really awsoem picture, that is howmy snakes are, the lay on top of eachotehr soemtimes, well one on top of the oteher. Really good pic. I'm going to go check on mine now. YEA

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google