CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Who houses their Corns together?

Old 08-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #11
TandJ
Touchy subject with some people.. I don't house any of them together at the moment, although things might change when we get around to breeding season. Solitary animals..

Regards..

Old 08-13-2005, 12:09 PM   #12
Clint Boyer
All of my cannibalism issues have been with hatchlings of the same size housed together. Most often with problem feeders but occasionally good feeders put back together after feeding.

These two were the same size.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
viktoria333
Unhappy Cannibalism

So would you suggest i house them separately in tubs in the viv?How long should i keep them separately for?When could i let them go in the viv together permanently?Would i always be one the lookout for one fat snake?I don't want my kids to see that.I don't want to make any mistakes with them,I may just get only one now,I did hope to be able to house them together eventually,i can keep them separate for about a year,i think.Is this cannibal thing,does it go on all the time if you leave the hatchlings together and not separate them?Or is it more like a small risk?cheers,viktoria

Old 08-13-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
Clint Boyer
"NO" mistakes? House separately always.

Slight risk? In my opinion, it is only a slight risk, but you have to be prepared for the consequenses.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:55 PM   #15
viktoria333
Red face Housing corns together

So you would recommend to either only get one,Or house them separately permanently?Also,is it easy to tell the sex of a four to fiveweek old hatchling?Was hoping to get two females,as these i have heard don't tend to get as big as the males..An amelanistic and amelanistic cross albino.Has anyone found that the colour of the snake coincides with thier personality?Is ther a particular colour morph thats more bitey than the rest?Would two different colour morphs get on once adult.Other peeps on this site are keeping females together[adults,granted]but was wondering if there is anyone out there who has kept a pair of corns together since hatchlings?Would especially like to know.I don't want to make a mistake tomorrow..Cheers,Viktoria

Old 08-13-2005, 02:15 PM   #16
Serpwidgets
This is a loaded question. You might want to ask about those who used to house corns together but do not anymore because of problems. But asking those who do it is a good way to filter out any negative responses.

It's like asking if being a stoner makes you a loser. Of course those who smoke pot on a regular basis aren't going to tell you what losers it makes them, even if they could see that. Nor will they tell you how it completely stops all intellectual and emotional growth, because they aren't capable of understanding that other people continued growing long after they stopped. They don't get that they are still 13-18 year old mentalities stuck in 30, 40, or 50 year old bodies, they thnk that's what everyone else is, too. So you're not going to get an honest answer of "look at what a pathetic loser and waste of human potential I am."

Anyway, I used to house corns together, when I first got into corns. I found that it caused problems I wasn't even aware of, until I separated them after 2 years. (Then one of them, who was much smaller and a picky feeder with a bad attitude, suddenly sprouted and is an entirely different snake.)

There is no guaranteed method of sexing snakes, and even the best in the world make mistakes, so just because you THINK you are housing two females together, unless they have already both laid eggs, you do not KNOW that they are females and you still risk premature breeding, eggbinding, etc.

There are also issues of stress, cannibalism, and many other issues. There are plenty of good reasons to not keep them together, and there is not one single good reason to keep them together. (IMO keeping more snakes than you can afford is NOT a good reason.)

Just some food for thought.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:25 PM   #17
SnakeLuvrs
i have done it...

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23342

Old 08-13-2005, 03:09 PM   #18
graffixcs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpwidgets

Anyway, I used to house corns together, when I first got into corns. I found that it caused problems I wasn't even aware of, until I separated them after 2 years. (Then one of them, who was much smaller and a picky feeder with a bad attitude, suddenly sprouted and is an entirely different snake.)
I totally agree that corns should be housed separate for the reasons mentioned numerous times before, however, as many people know I have an adult pair that were housed together for 4 years. Only after I separated them did I run into "problems". Both were great eaters and placid, as corns are. Once I separated them the female became very aggressive. She has all that she could want, space, heat, regular feed,peace, hides etc.

I don't understand why, all I know is her name now is "The Biotch", there is no bluffing with her. IMO she definitely defies the guides, maybe there is more to this.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #19
viktoria333
Red face Housing corns together

After much advice am gonna go for one hatchling,Don't know which one yet,will follow my heart when i see them.Any more good info that you just don't find on care sheets for me?I find hands on information priceless so if theres anyone out there willing to Share some hints and tips it would be most appreciated..cheers.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #20
Serpwidgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by viktoria333
An amelanistic and amelanistic cross albino.
Just FYI, in cornsnakes, albinos are called amelanistic. (The reason is that albino generally means lacking pigment and can apply to anerys/charcoals/lavenders/amels/etc, but amelanistic specifically means lacking the black pigment melanin.)

So there is no difference between "amel" and "amel cross albino." (Either you are mis-quoting the source or they don't know what they are talking about.)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google