CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

Cannibalism

Old 08-27-2003, 05:28 PM   #1
Rich Z
Arrow Cannibalism

When I am packing bulk shipments, I will normally cull out the ones from the stuff I set up for retail sales and just put all of those culls into 5 gallon buckets with a water dish. They are in there for no more than 24 hours. Well, this afternoon I was packing a shipment and looked into one of the buckets and saw what I thought was a dead and bloated corn snake. I was surprised it could have gotten so bloated so quickly. But when I took a closer look, here is what I saw:

This doesn't happen often, but it DOES happen!

Old 08-27-2003, 05:31 PM   #2
Darin Chappell
Wow! That looks like it got a couple of them stuffed in there!

Old 08-30-2003, 11:10 PM   #3
CornCrazy
Ewww...it does look like he ate a couple! I've been hearing a lot lately that the cannibalistic corns end up dying because they ate too much. Do you know if this is really true?

Old 08-30-2003, 11:31 PM   #4
Simon
ouch!
I wonder what it ate......(well yeah corns but what morph)

hope that litle guy does survive....

Old 11-04-2003, 07:15 AM   #5
sumguy
hi Rich
did this little guy ever make it?

Old 11-04-2003, 12:01 PM   #6
cj_corns789
wow! thats was the first time i ever seen a corn eat another one well n this case 2 or 3 i guess this another reason not to keep 2 corns in the sname cage also.

Old 11-04-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
RyanR
well

I have 2 male corns a anery and amel That have been living together for 1 year now in a 50 gallon tank but when chrismas comes im gunna serprate them because after seeing that i got worried!

Old 11-04-2003, 06:54 PM   #8
Chip
Exclamation WOW!

I've had it happen only once (in my younger and frugal years when I kept clutches together) and was AMAZED how huge the hatchling got from one sibling. From photo#1, I'd have bet $1000 he only ate one snake. Then I saw the second. That's even more bloated than my recollection, AND mine ate a pinkie. Well, directly or indirectly, one of them had! For the record, I don't recall having a regurge, or losing the cannibal. Not that I wish to repeat the experience, but I keep much better records now, and could verify.

Maybe you can double his price and market him as "Hannibal!"

Old 11-04-2003, 08:12 PM   #9
RyanR
well i for one would rather not have a canibal snake :P

Old 11-05-2003, 02:39 AM   #10
Rachel
Hi Rich, just wondering if it's ok for me to use this pic on another site to show that cannibalism does happen. Its a thread on housing together so I thought that it would be appropriate!

Cheers, Rach x

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google