CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

A few q's about clay and snakes.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
necromantica
A few q's about clay and snakes.

So, I've been thinking about making some monster super hide/ jungle gym for my corn snake which was an idea i got from all these posts about d.i.y clay hides and snake furniture, I was needing to upgrade his hide anyways because hes getting much too big for it.

So, Ive been investigating on Google, and also on the forums, but I cant seem to find any information on whats safe and what isn't. So I'm just going to throw these questions out their being if I cant find the answers, I'm sure other people are looking for the answers also.

1. What types of clays are toxic/ non toxic for cornsnakes to be around?

2. What types of glazes or sealants are toxic/ non-toxic?

3. Is it safer to not use glazes or sealants, if the structures are not being used to hold water? *My personal opinion is regular baked clay without glazing has a more natural look which is why I ask about not using glaze*

Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 AM   #2
jen murphy
Quote:
Originally Posted by necromantica View Post
So, I've been thinking about making some monster super hide/ jungle gym for my corn snake which was an idea i got from all these posts about d.i.y clay hides and snake furniture, I was needing to upgrade his hide anyways because hes getting much too big for it.

So, Ive been investigating on Google, and also on the forums, but I cant seem to find any information on whats safe and what isn't. So I'm just going to throw these questions out their being if I cant find the answers, I'm sure other people are looking for the answers also.

1. What types of clays are toxic/ non toxic for cornsnakes to be around?

2. What types of glazes or sealants are toxic/ non-toxic?

3. Is it safer to not use glazes or sealants, if the structures are not being used to hold water? *My personal opinion is regular baked clay without glazing has a more natural look which is why I ask about not using glaze*
I'll take a shot at this...

1. Anything from stoneware to polymer clays would be fine if fired / baked properly.
2. Use lead free glazes. Anything you could eat off of would be fine for your snake. As far as sculpey goes, the only stuff I have is sculpey gloss glaze and I'm not sure about that. I myself wouldn't feel comfortable using it with my snake. There is a caution on the bottle, it likely has volatile solvents that dissipate when it dries/cures. Maybe I am just paranoid (yeah ok I am.)

Also - got this from the internet:

Examples of glazes which contain toxic ingredients are Golden UVLS and most crackle finishes. If you have any concerns, ask for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) when you are trying a new glaze.

3. I wouldn't see why you would have a problem using either bisque fired pottery or lead-free glazed.

Just so you know, a pound of sculpey is going to run you anywhere from 10 to 15 bucks. Not sure how giant you mean, but it has the potential to get expensive fast. I used to buy scrap cane ends off of ebay for cheap. Usually you might find a mix of sculpey, primo, fimo. All bakes at 265 F and would be fine to use.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
necromantica
Wow, I didnt think Id get a response so fast! Thanks!
But yea I'm not sure what the difference is between where you are and where I am but I already had three bags of clay sitting on my fridge doing nothing, *I used to take pottery classes to pass the time."

And this gives me a great opportunity to finally use it all up if its non-toxic I will have to look into the brands.

But out here I can get huge bricks of clay for only like 5 to 10 dollars which is enough to decorate about 4 tanks lmao.

But what I have on my fridge is... 2 bags of jovi and a box of sculpty oven bake. Their about 3 months old but I haven't opened them so I'm guessing they are still buildable.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
carnivorouszoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen murphy View Post

Just so you know, a pound of sculpey is going to run you anywhere from 10 to 15 bucks. Not sure how giant you mean, but it has the potential to get expensive fast. I used to buy scrap cane ends off of ebay for cheap. Usually you might find a mix of sculpey, primo, fimo. All bakes at 265 F and would be fine to use.
I get plain white sculpey 1lb for $6.50 or there abouts tax included at Walmart. I don't really like the idea of the pre-colored. I feel pre-colored limits you more. Of course I don't mind painting, letting it dry then sealing and letting it dry before I can "use" the item depending on what it is.

Personally I would not give an unsealed sculpey item to an animal or use it myself except as a display piece. I'd be too worried about droppings being absorbed by the exposed porous material and encouraging bacterial growth.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #5
jen murphy
I guess I am getting ripped off...I just checked Michaels last weekend and they wanted something like 12 bucks for a pound of super sculpey. Maybe 10 for a pound of white sculpey. Now I know why they give you the 40% off coupons periodically... All makes sense!

Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
necromantica
Lol, well sounds like you have been supporting keeping there business going well. :P

Old 04-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
necromantica
By the way, Ive decided using clay, no paint, then sealant to prevent the issues listed above.

I wanna keep a "natural" look for my snake to use, but if i end up deciding paint will be better because im famous for never "fully making up my mind."

Anyways Im going to make it and burn it tonight, "still dunno what im exactly making yet"
but when Ive finished "phase 1" of building and burning I'll post some piccyz :P

Old 04-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
carnivorouszoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen murphy View Post
I guess I am getting ripped off...I just checked Michaels last weekend and they wanted something like 12 bucks for a pound of super sculpey. Maybe 10 for a pound of white sculpey. Now I know why they give you the 40% off coupons periodically... All makes sense!
I only go to Michael's to scope out clearance. Yup I have the box in front of me: 1.1 lb (500 g) white, Original Sculpey Stays soft until you bake it. Just found where it says Non-Toxic

I'd still use a sealer on it for use in a viv especially if you paint it. Modge Podge is also Non-Toxic and commonly used as a sealer for stuff using Sculpey for dolls and figurines.

The Sculpey sells at walmart for $5.97 plus tax for this package. They also offer a pack of Sculpey III variety with sculpting tools for $9.97 and it has several colors as well as some white. I haven't gotten it because I am not fond of the colored clay, but still sounds like a good deal. Mind some areas may have higher prices due to location.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
clay, hides, structure