CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Classifieds Section > Other Animals and Related Items For Sale
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Other Animals and Related Items For Sale Any other types of animals, plus caging, feeders, etc, can be posted within this area. ALL members can place ads in this section.

Does your reptile have MITES?
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #21
Vinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemrak551 View Post
I didn't mean to offend anyone. This is not snake oil, and it is not Chemicals. There are no chemicals in it, unless you think that water, iodine, and a very small amount of Dawn liquid soap is chemicals. We use them everyday on ourselves, and none of us has died of an overdose of Dawn. The powder consists of nothing but very finely crushed earth. You use it in your pools to soften your water, and you swim in it when you take a dip in your pool. The powder is not a chemical either, it works better then seven dust and doesn't have any pesticides in it whatsoever.
I just happened to stumble on this as part of research for a better mite treatment, my vetrinarian suggested I try it, she uses it on her patients as well, she just never perfected the right amount of each ingredient put together. The ingredients have to be together in the right amounts to work better and more effectively.

What this treatment does, is it soothes and heals bites from the nasty little buggers, and it also suffocates any of them that are still alive on or around the reptile. But will not suffocate your reptile or its scales.

So no I am not a scientist, and I don't sell snake oil. I am just a person that wanted a better mite treatment then subjecting my reptiles to absolute poison, and possible death due to poisoning from pesticides.

I also use this treatment around my house for ants, bugs, spiders, etc. It is awesome and there are absolutely no pesticides in it. It is safe to use around all my birds, reptiles, tortoises, and dogs and cats. That is what I was looking for, and this is what I came up with. We have been bug free for the past six years, and have not lost one animal to the treatment.

Just wanted to share with the rest of the reptile world, thought they would benefit from it.

So when Jack Daniels invented his whiskey, do you think people confronted him about that it was just another scam. HECK no they drank it up. Just like Jack I am wanting to share a creation with my fellow reptilian lovers.

Thanks
Karmen

iodine, Dawn liquid soap is chemicals. That is a very old remedy and does not always work.
Nix hair lice removal cream rinse gets rid of mites & ticks and there eggs in one treatment. It is a proven method. You can get it at any drug store. Why use a home made chemical mix ???

Old 02-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #22
DavidBeard
While this solution might kill adult mites, it won't do anything to kill the eggs.

Provent-A-Mite or Black Knight are still the most effective methods of treating mites IMO.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #23
bubba6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoxCorn View Post
I'm really quite skeptical to say the least. Iodine is extremely toxic if injested. I don't think this is something I'd want to submerse a snake in and risk a snake injesting this solution. Sorry.
iodine is used in small amounts to make untreated water drinkable.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #24
Vinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba6 View Post
iodine is used in small amounts to make untreated water drinkable.
before you go banging your head against the wall do you know how many part iodine to part water is safe for drinking water . Also do you know how much iodine is in the mite solution. Bet you the mite remedy has way more than is safe for drinking. Another thing no one has talked about what is the shelf life for this solution.

BTW to the OP of this thread it is illegal to sell your mite solution with out it being aproved by the food and drug administration

Old 02-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #25
bekers71
This is an interesting treatment and I'd like to hear from people who have actually used it. The OP did say it's used in the store she works in so it must not be killing the snakes they use it on. Any mite treatment, Nix, POM etc, can kill a snake if ingested. They contain some very harsh chemicals hence why every one is so careful to not get it in the eyes, nose and mouth of the animal. When using Nix for head lice humans are super careful to avoid eye contact and inhalation. There's a reason why. I see no need to flame the OP for trying to help others with some thing that works for them. Dawn soap is used on animals all the time. They have used it for years to bathe animals that are covered in oils from spills. It is also a great flea dip. I know this for a fact because I use it on my dogs and my cat and have never once had an ill effect from it.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #26
Vinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekers71 View Post
This is an interesting treatment and I'd like to hear from people who have actually used it. The OP did say it's used in the store she works in so it must not be killing the snakes they use it on. Any mite treatment, Nix, POM etc, can kill a snake if ingested. They contain some very harsh chemicals hence why every one is so careful to not get it in the eyes, nose and mouth of the animal. When using Nix for head lice humans are super careful to avoid eye contact and inhalation. There's a reason why. I see no need to flame the OP for trying to help others with some thing that works for them. Dawn soap is used on animals all the time. They have used it for years to bathe animals that are covered in oils from spills. It is also a great flea dip. I know this for a fact because I use it on my dogs and my cat and have never once had an ill effect from it.
When using Nix you dont have to worry about getting in the eyes of a snake they have a protictive eye cap. you make sure the snake has had water first. I have used it for years on lizards and snakes with no problems and is a one time treatment. It last for 2 weeks once applied and it is cheap to buy and easy to get.

This concoction the Op is selling is a old school treatment and does not always work. There are much better methods to get rid of mites. It is also illegal to sell, it is not FDA approved.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #27
snakewispera snr
Mites are easy to drown and soap will soften the water to drown them quicker...
Vin is right, this is an old school method that doesn't always work....
I like P-O-M... a light spray in the bottom of the rub allowed to dry for 30 mins has always worked for me, with no ill effects...

Old 02-06-2010, 09:21 PM   #28
Vinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewispera snr View Post
Mites are easy to drown and soap will soften the water to drown them quicker...
Vin is right, this is an old school method that doesn't always work....
I like P-O-M... a light spray in the bottom of the rub allowed to dry for 30 mins has always worked for me, with no ill effects...
Mike what is POM ????

Old 02-06-2010, 11:04 PM   #29
sinisterserpents1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
BTW to the OP of this thread it is illegal to sell your mite solution with out it being aproved by the food and drug administration
This was exactly my first thought. But to each their own for what they chose to use to prevent/kill mites. But yeah the FDA has to approve it first or it is illegal.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #30
Vinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterserpents1 View Post
This was exactly my first thought. But to each their own for what they chose to use to prevent/kill mites. But yeah the FDA has to approve it first or it is illegal.
If I'm not mistaken RZ can be held liable for letting someone sell something illegal on his site.

BTW sinisterserpents1 Rep points given

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Closed Thread

Tags
mite, reptile supplies, treatment