CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

2" clay pot hides from Michaels $.69 ea

Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
Nroc
2" clay pot hides from Michaels $.69 ea

It took her a day to warm up to these hides, but it seems that she loves them. She's been spotted in both of the new clay pots, and I haven't seen her go into the larger hides since. I may give her 2 more of the clay pots, and remove the others. I also bought 2 of the 3" pots from Michaels for later when she grows up a bit.

The drain hole seemed small to me, so I opened it up a bit with my Dremmel and a grinding bit. I then ground down the sharp corner left behind on both the inside and outside of the pot to provide a nice smooth surface. Some elevation is next on my schedule for this tank. I need to go vine shopping

I made it larger than I needed, but after feeding her, I wasn't sure if she would fit with a full belly. I haven't seen her go through the hole yet while full though there is room to spare when she is digested. I had her go in there last night, and saw how much gap surrounded her. I think I am going to resize the openings a little before the next feeding just incase. I'll try to snap a pic of her going through the hole; the large hole is still smaller than the penny.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #2
bitsy
Mine love these hides! Plus they're really easy to clean/disinfect and last for years.

Quote:
I wasn't sure if she would fit with a full belly. I haven't seen her go through the hole yet while full though there is room to spare when she is digested. I had her go in there last night, and saw how much gap surrounded her. I think I am going to resize the openings a little before the next feeding just incase.
Ooooh yes, do make sure the full belly fits through. I once had a very embarrassing visit to a vet with a freshly-fed snake stuck in a pot exactly like that. No amount of lubrication would shift him (I know - the mind boggles!) so the vet eventually just split the pot open with a single blow from a hammer and chisel.

Boy was my face red!! Mind you, Pumpkin is pretty dim, bless him, even by Corn Snake standards....

Old 02-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Nroc
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
so the vet eventually just split the pot open with a single blow from a hammer and chisel.
When I go vet shopping, I'll make sure that he is well versed in using a hammer and chisel

Old 03-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
jnk22
I knew I saw this somewhere. Awesome Idea I paid a little more for my pots but hey whats 20 cents?! LOL! Ours love them I have two one on the hot side and one on the cool side.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
kalena
I have GOT to remember to check this site for great inexpensive ideas before I go shopping...

Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Sinsational
Jnk22, How did you get the holes in the side?

Old 03-08-2010, 11:26 PM   #7
jnk22
Nroc I know you asked me about this on my thread i posted there but I will also post it here also hope you don't mind.
Sinsational I tried a metal drill bit and it didn,t work at all but it did go in a little in the side which gave me a starting point then i used a reamer to finish it it was easy once i finally found the right tool but this thread is the place i first saw them i just added a little twist
and on second thought Nroc I do think I am going to make my holes a little bigger now (better safe than sorry)

Old 03-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #8
Sinsational
Thank you!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google