• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Ultramel Ghost CornSnake?

Mario

Corn Snake Addict!
I was on a website looking at cornsnakes for sale and into a Ultramel Ghost Cornsnake. I really have no idea how a snake that is homo for ultra/ultramel anery and hypo would look like. Here is a picture though

Photo by Sean Niland, VMS Herp

H024-03M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you got Sean's permission to link to his photo. That's typically frowned upon. :nope:

:awcrap: I didn't think about that. I didn't mean any harm I'm just interested in the snake.

I'm sure you could also email Sean and ask him directly about the snake, or the Ultra gene in general. I have a few VMS snakes and I love them.
Sean is a stand up kind of guy who runs a great buisiness, my dealings in the past with him have always been great, and I do not think he would mis represent an animal he is selling.

I'm not terribly experienced with Ultra/amel, but I know that in Ultramel Anery morphs there is a tendency for an extreme yellow wash. The snake looks to me like exactly what it is labeled as, but like I said earlier, I think the best way to get information about this particular snake is to send an email to the breeder.

I was hoping someone would be able to distinguish or make guess if the snake is a combination of Ultra Anery and Hypo or Ultramel Anery and Hypo. I have no idea myself. I talked to Sean and he said it could be either and on his site he mentions that it can be hard to tell the difference so I posted the picture here to see if what others thought.

it's almost impossible to distinguish a difference between Ultra an Ultramel. You can harvest a guess but generally you need to do breeding trials to prove it.

ok,
allow me to throw myself to the wolves....as i'm not positive either..but....

it's in the eyes.......look at an ultramel's eye...it's pupil(the dark part) will be a deep ruby red.....the iris (the light part) could be blue ,silver etc. in the ghost morph the eyes are usually blue as well...so if this snake has ruby red pupils and light colored iris's it's probably what sean said it was! LOL

speaking of sean niland at VMS and the Ultramel form....

this morning at 9:11am i was handed an Ultramel charcoal corn. straight from Vms and sean niland... Now...i know that this snake is in essence the same as a phantom (charcoal x hypo) except using ultramel instead of hypo. Virtually identical visually...except 1 thing....yeah...the eyes..is it a definite marker for telling what is or isnt ultramel? i dont know....but the corn i received today has the deepest ruby-red pupils..and the prettiest of blue iris's. my phantom has the blue eyes as well....but the pupils are black. so, through e-mail, i asked sean how do you tell it apart from a phantom? he explained that the phantom is hypo/hypo and charcoal/charcoal the ultramel charcoal is ultra/amel and charcoal/charcoal. then he told me how to SAFELY breed ultramel charcoals so that you KNOW you have ultramel charcoals....so if your questioning whether the snake is what he says it is....trust me..he knows..and it is. he also suggested that i,and i quote, "Make damn sure that neither parent has hypo in their genetic make-up. why? because...you wouldnt be able,with 100% degree of accuracy, be sure whether you had Phantoms(charcoal hypo) or ultramel charcoals.....and thats just how nice this guy is...taking time out of what i'm sure is a grueling work schedule to answer some bone-heads questions, and then throw in a tid-bit of advice to top it off....he's just a great guy.

rich

And then an entire clutch of 20 ruby-eyed ghosts (hypo anery) messes with the theory...

I would ask Sean as he is the breeder and knows exactly what went into making that little guy.. He has some great looking snakes and genes in his collection. That would be the way to get the best answer..

i would agree.....and sean would probably tell ya everything you want to know...and a few things you didnt.

I would ask Sean as he is the breeder and knows exactly what went into making that little guy.. He has some great looking snakes and genes in his collection. That would be the way to get the best answer..

I know that line very well and there is hypo in that line but as everyone has said it is hard to tell the difference. I have adults and babies from that line and this year bred a anery het ultra and hypo to 2 snows het hypo so there are 4 different shades of babies. Ultramel anery, ultramel ghosts, anerys and ghosts which is exactly what the genetic predictor says the clutches should be.
Long story short, Sean is a great guy to deal with and will not tell you something if he is not 100% certain.
John

Back