• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My first corn!

PeterD

Hey,

As you have maybe read from the new member area i'm scared of snakes! and this is my first one.

Heres a few pics i managed to get on day one of his arrival (he's a yearling)

Any thing you notice about the viv that might need changing would be nice to hear about.

Thanks in advance

Iphonelatest197.jpg

Iphonelatest196.jpg

Iphonelatest193.jpg

Iphonelatest192.jpg

Before Nagini arrived. No substrate so you can see the layout!
Iphonelatest186.jpg

Thanks for looking

extraordinary setup-really beautiful.
Personally, I'd use a different thermometer and place it on the warm side.
The lamp isn't the best method for heating- I'd advise a UTH

Looks like there is a UTH on the side though, but it would be best on the ground, as corns need belly heat for digestion. And as others said, those stick ons do not work well. Most would advice a thermometer with probe, so you could leave it on the substrate. Other than that, the viv looks great.
I love the shot of him getting water, while completely VERTICAL!

hey again!

thanks for the fast responses :D

The lamp isn't a heat lamp and is temporary until i get my Bayonet to screw fitting adapter through so i can put a natural daylight bulb in just so we can see in the tank.

The stick on thermometer is for rough temps just so i can peer in and go hmm yeah its roughly what it should be.

I'm waiting on a order for a digital one with a probe to come through.

do you reckon i should get another heat mat and put it under the substrate? under the actual tank didn't work to well.... the wood just got very hot.

I got a ministat in there to which is sticking down just from the light cage to get the ambient temperature there... is that correct or should i move it?

And thanks on the nice viv i thought it looked alright compared to some others i have seen!! i like the natural look andd didn't wanna have to much to clean either! :p

Wow, looks really great!
I too, would advise 2 hides(one warm one cool)
I have both for my corn and she uses them both all the time.

As the others said, 2 hides is what you need, one on each side.
The UTH should be fine under substrate. I have 2 setups where the UTH is under 4 inches of coconut husk. The snake shouldn't burn himself on it. I'll post my Vivs sometime today or tomorrow as well.

Diamondlil, I have a question then.
About the thermostat for the UTH temp control.
Both my vivs are homeade, wooden vivs, so I need the UTH inside.
The temp on top of the substrate is around 86-88 in the middle, I am assuming this is fine?
There is 4 inches of substrate between the snake and the UTH, unless he feels he needs to warmup, in which case he would just burrow (I'm assuming, as I've never seen him do this).
Thanks for any tips.

I've heard a few methods of using a uth inside a wooden viv. One is to cut a part out of the bottom and put something that holds and transfers heat better where you will put the uth. The other is sticking the uth under a ceramic floor tile and putting that in the viv (with a thermostat of course)

The light is in a cage to stop the snake getting to it but i haven't had it on since being on here. only to see where he is!

I got a 15watt daylight bulb which barely heats up but will be inside that cage so that we can see in the viv.

At the moment hes hiding behind his tree on the cool side of the viv. reckon this can class as a hide as theres a load of shrubbery in that corner. he seems to like that spot seen him here a couple of times.

With the heat mat at the bottom, i'm using aspen would i need to pile it up a lot more??
really am worried about hurting him.

Back