CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

2000 Trans Hypo male

Old 10-08-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Serpwidgets
2000 Trans Hypo male

Got this guy yesterday on breeding loan from Joe Pierce. Whenever I can get my camera fixed, I'll get better pics... including some super-macros.

So far here are the things I've noticed about him that are interesting:
  • belly gets red/pink toward the back end, which (I understand) is typical of Locality Okeetees
  • Some keeling on dorsal scales near the back end.
  • Fading out head pattern. (cool!)
  • The normally black "stripes" aren't really visible, but from certain angles you can make out "white stripes" in that same place.
  • Red scales (on the saddles) have gray spots on them. They're more concentrated where you normally see the longitudinal lines, but are also there on the entire saddle.
  • Chin is a clean white instead of the usual black/white "tiger striping" (or brown/white on hypos) and up close you can see traces of the striping, but almost looks like what you'd see on an amel.... that weird yellow/green coloration

Anyway, he's really great, and I cant wait till spring. Apart from the test against the "Dream" line, I have some additional fun crosses to make with him.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:03 PM   #2
Marcel Poots
What a gorgeous snake. What is your dream line?

Old 10-08-2003, 01:13 PM   #3
Simon
well I don't really get this
I have just heard
Ultra Hypo and Trans Hypo from Kat
so this is like a new kind of hypo right?
Assume:
The old usual hypo that we see is like called 'hypo a'
ultra = 'hypo b'
trans = 'hypo c'
right?
It's just a different kind of hypo, am I correct?
I do seem to see some difference in these hypos but not greatly.
As Serp might have mentioned a few of the differences, how else can you tell (well of course other than breeding)
so if you breed a 'hypo a' and a 'hypo b' would you get a normal or would there be a hypo?
is the hypo gene co-dominant or recessive????

Man...these hypo genes are making me mad......

Old 10-08-2003, 03:32 PM   #4
CrazyCorn
Ah but hypo b is sunkissed lol so I think there are 4 types most known out there:
Hypo a (Normal)
Hypo b (Sunkissed)
Hypo c (Ultra hypo)
and now (Trans hypo)
But there still is what ever hypos that rich is plagued with too! LOL

Old 10-08-2003, 03:46 PM   #5
Darin Chappell
You know, there might be an inherent value to having a line that was proven to be homozygous for all of the hypos floating about out there . . .it would certainly make the breeding of the animals a lot more predictable, wouldn't it?

Old 10-08-2003, 03:54 PM   #6
Kat
Actually, the whole point of the breeding experiments this spring is to find out if Dream hypo and Ultra hypo match up with any of the other known hypos.

What we know:

Sunkissed != HypoA
TransHypo != HypoA
TransHypo != Sunkissed
UltraHypo != HypoA

What the currently planned breeding trials will find out:

DreamHypo vs TransHypo
UltraHypo vs TransHypo
UltraHypo vs Sunkissed
(There may be others... I don't know what crosses Don S. is doing.)

-Kat

* '!=' means 'is not equal to'

Old 10-08-2003, 04:05 PM   #7
Darin Chappell
Kat,

Are you going to have the opportunity to test the compatibility of the Ultra and Dream hypos?

Old 10-08-2003, 04:30 PM   #8
Simon
Ah~~
my head was spinning when I was reading this thread....
now that there are more hypos adding on my head is spinning even more....I don't get this!!!!1 Sigh...

Old 10-08-2003, 05:44 PM   #9
Serpwidgets
Heh, yeah, it can get confusing. Part of the problem is that many people have used the name "Ultra" but I've yet to hear anyone who used these names say if they've done any breeding trials to determine if it is or is not compatible with what lines. The whole idea with these breeding loans and trials is to clear up the messes that are out there right now. My predictions are:

1- Ultra Hypo and Trans Hypo will be the same thing.

2- Dream Hypo and Standard Hypo will be the same thing.

We'll see next year, hopefully. If the Trans X Dream cross produces normals (proving them different) then I will be trying "standard" hypo X Dream. The funny thing is that we still won't know if other people using the "Ultra" name are working with one of the three currently known forms, or which one of them, or some other line. (Nor will they know... sucks for them, and the people who buy from them. I guess they will start to see first-hand why it is unwise to just tack a new name on anything without any proof of what it is or isn't.)

Also, Sean at VMS Herps has a weird looking ghost which he bred to a (standard) ghost this year. It produced anerys and ghosts... Apparently it's het for standard hypo and expressing some other form of hypo.

IMO it's going to become more and more valuable to be able to supply someone with info about which line of hypos an individual is from, and to have "standardized" identification (we all use the same names) for these lines, so that people can still rely (as much as possible anyway) on being able to produce hypos from Hypo X Hypo breedings. The goals of this cooperative effort are to try to get some answers.

Old 10-08-2003, 06:00 PM   #10
Kat
Nope, Darin... I don't have any Dream hypos... Serp has one... I have an Ultra hypo. It'll be a while before we can test Dream X Ultra, but if Ultra proves to be Trans, or Dream proves to be HypoA, we won't need to. It'll all just depend on how things go.

-Kat

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google