• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Supersize corn

OCfinfan, I can't beleive you consider hunting and herping the same thing. Hunting is either done for food (OK), or for 'sport' because some people like to kill things (NOT OK, IMHO).
Herping is done for the pleasure of it, whether it be to keep or release the snake after, and IMO if someone wants to have WC in their collection, then good luck herping to them. I only wish we had corns over here in the UK, I'd be out all the time trying to find wild specimens.
'you say we may be doing them a favour before we kill them'
I strongly doubt that anyone who goes herping would have any harsh feelings for corns, and would never hurt them. People who kill animals are the above mentioned hunters. Just my opinion.

Vouchers and road kill

Individual collecting, whether for research or hobby has virtually no affect on populations, which replenish themselves every few years.
Road kills alone far outnumber collected animals.
The only exception is wholsale commercial collecting.
Ethically, its an individual thing. No one can tell you what your ethics SHOULD be, since ethics are formed by years of growth and development.
Anyone who tells me that its wrong to do something is, in effect, wrong himself. There is no intrinsic right and wrong, it simply depends on point of view.

umm, I don't know about anyone else, but I still want to see those pictures of that monster wild corn... :shrugs:

Hallelujah! Someone else noticed the thread went into Neverland!

I would love to see those pics too.

Woke up early and started reading. This thread holds an uncanny resemblance to the last twelve years of my life. Kinda made me think it was old home week! :bang:

I'm glad to know we all have our opinions and I know I will regret this, but there are a lot worse things going on this world right now that could use the time, energy and attention spent on most of this thread. Does anyone feel better after all of those days trying to prove what seem to be crucial points on both sides of the debate? Did I miss the making up part? :eek1:

I love all life whether human, reptilian, amphibian, birds, bugs, insects and yes even the hundreds of deer who are eating the country's crops and causing automobile insurance to skyrocket in our area. But the thought of seeing a Corn that size makes my day! How on earth did left field jump up there and grab the conversation like that?

Bring on the Supersize Corn!!!

there you go

bea_giant_snake.jpg

ps : those peoples are destroying the specie

I meant the people on the picture of course
I mean it was a joke...
I mean...
oh hell, nevermind :'D

Mary said:
there are a lot worse things going on this world right now that could use the time, energy and attention spent on

I bow to you madam

I read all the way through this to see a huge 6.5 foot cornsnake but instead all I get is a huge headache. Where is that picture?

Rick

lol but we all check back because we are all curious to see if a picture will materialize.

it probably wont and I still think that Miami is the beafiest snake I have seen ;D

Oh well, it was probably a Rat Snake anyway.

If anybody finds a HUGH melanistic Corn in the wild, send it my way.

As much as he was being an egotistical person...I do have to agree with him.

I have issues about collecting adult specimens. I don't think its fair to the animal. I've caught wild black rats and kept them for a couple of weeks, but their longing to get back out broke me.

I don't care if you collect the few stray hatchlings. But to collect a gravid female and let her lay eggs, but I'd much rather see her released back in the wild where she belongs afterwards. Making more natural beauties. I just don't think it's ethical, at least in my code of ethics. My ethics also extend to people who collect an area dry and then sell off their finds. There's just something inherently wrong with that picture.

Look at how well cornsnakes have evolved with their different colors to meet their different habitat needs. Pretty soon, everyone collecting all the "pretty" snakes are going to find the species has made itself ugly to avoid collection. ;)

Taceas said:
My ethics also extend to people who collect an area dry and then sell off their finds. There's just something inherently wrong with that picture.
There is some validity to this statement. There are some isolated localities that have a specific micro-climate specific to a species of snakes that could be harvested into extinction by commercial collectors. Good examples of this are some of the Mountain King Snakes and islander localities. I have found some of these micro-climate areas of California and Baja Mountain King Snakes and it could be possible to destroy a locality population due to the isolated areas of good habitat, but it would most likely take dynamite. Heavy collecting in these areas would have a serious impact on the population in any event. The San Francisco Garter Snakes is another good example. They only have one small area left near the airport to live. Appropriate measures have been taken to ensure their survival.

The above circumstances do not apply to Corn Snakes in Florida. I have been to Florida many times and it is more like a jungle than a micro-climate. I do not believe that any amount of commercial collecting of Corn Snakes in Florida, even if we enlisted the entire efforts of our armed forces, would cause any long term effect on the Corn Snakes survival. It is legal to collect Corn Snakes in Florida and it is legal to commercially collect Corn Snakes in Florida with the proper permits. The authorities have studied this issue and found that commercial collecting of Corn Snakes in Florida does not have a significant impact on wild populations. It is literally like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

Taceas said:
Look at how well cornsnakes have evolved with their different colors to meet their different habitat needs. Pretty soon, everyone collecting all the "pretty" snakes are going to find the species has made itself ugly to avoid collection. ;)
I believe this is a joke. It would take many life times of our armed forces commercially collecting Corn Snakes to cause this type of "evolution".

I don’t believe that most people who think it is unethical to collect a wild caught snake has actually field collected. It is extremely difficult to find one single snake while field collecting on foot. Field collectors can destroy habitat, which I have seen, but sometimes they are creating more habitat in some cases. Collecting snakes by road hunting is much more productive, but even then, there are many more dry nights than successful ones. If these snakes are living by the road, and cross them to “sun bath“ (thermo regulate), then they will soon be eliminated from the population in a very short time anyway.

I also want to see the pics of that monster snake!!!

no more arguing.... make a new thread for ytour thots.. not here

New Thread

This thread was high jacked long ago and taken off topic. I did start a new thread for the original topic of this thread in my personal forum which I can control and keep on topic. I invite all of you that have posted photos of Super Sized Corns here to post them in this new thread. I would also like to see photos of other species that are extra large and stories of large snakes are also welcome. The photos of the Corns do not have to be Super Sized, but if they are one of the largest Corns or Snakes that you have, then please post them for all of us to see.
XXXL Corn Snakes

OK now I seriously Do not Want to continue this arguement in anyway. But arn't all corns and all captive bred snakes originated from Wildcaught? Why are we all argueing about catching a w/c corn, or stubbling upon a wild corn only to strengthen our breeding lines. I know for fact yes there are people like OCfinfan that are totally against or just don't want to see certain species decimated due to having w/c. But why can't we all see that all animals that are domesticated were once wild themselves? And on another note. Isn't that why we breed them? To maintain that number or keep it increasing, to make sure that that species does not go exstint or endangerd?

OK well thats done. Just needed to let that out. but then again thats only MHO.

OK so where is this illusive Monster of a snake picture? :p

I've bugged Martin for the photo and he told me it was taken on someone elses camera and they were meant to send him the photo by e-mail and never did and he's lost touch since...so I guess we won't see this one as it turns out I would have loved to have seen it too...in real life would have been even better.

Back