CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Keep pinky and the brain
Yes keep them, and let them be happy and looked after 47 95.92%
Dont be stupid - find them a good home cats and snakes cant live together! 1 2.04%
Get new flatmates?? 4 8.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

corn snakes and cats

Old 09-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
Zombiegirl
2 cats, 3 dogs. when i take my snake out to handle her/feed her i do put the dogs away only because the youngest is really nosy and just HAS to get in my business and see what i'm doing because "she is super cool and wow and can i can i can i"?. curiosity really, they would never intentionally hurt her (i do realize they are dogs and things can happen). same with my dragons...just HAS to see whats going on. my cats like to watch "cat tv", when the dragons are active or the snake is exploring, but can't get ontop of vivs. my cats pretty much know to stay away when i'm dealing with the reptiles.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
stroodsue
hiya, we have lots of.. 22 snakes, 1 cat, and other beasties BUT

the cat, Billy, HAS to be there with whichever snake we have out. OR, IF we are in our rep room, he's there calling.. meoooow.. I am here Mum, lol he nuzzles in to get a sniff a quick lick to whatever we have hold of, lies down and is quite at ease with them all!!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
yojoe05
For the most part our cat's don't even know our corn exists, they get jealous and like to investigate her when she's feeding but that's about it for the most part. Our male cat really likes her though and she'll sniff him in which case he gives a loud meow rolls over onto his back and start squirming around in a purring fit. He's always been a little weird though...

Old 09-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
beautifullywild77
I have 2 old cats and 2 kittens with around 20 snakes. The kittens are curious about the snakes but seem to do alright with leaving them alone! I give them lots of toys.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #15
stroodsue
Can you keep the snakes in your room? I see you have flat mates.. be easier that way then they are not in their view... so it speak!

WHO'S house is it?

The cats should be fine with them as long as you teach them . so if they go to the vivariums.. that they know... "NO don't" "come away" they soon learn!

How has it gone oh by the way you do have the snakes housed separately !?

Old 01-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #16
smigon
This question scared me at first because I already have 4 cats that are going nowhere, so if I had to make a choice, that would have sucked.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #17
stroodsue
We now have another cat, young one 8-9 Months ish, He is soooo funny with the snakes, he was a stray cat so, I am sure he's been in contact with wiggly things outside...

What he does is, lie down next to me, watches, and when I see the bum starting to wiggle i tell him , easy Golly lol it's ok, then he wanders off. Funny wee fella he is!

The snakes don't roam i=on the floor by the way, this is when they have snakey cuddles!

Happy New Year by the way!!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #18
kaypar2011
I mentioned the 3 snakes and 2 cats, well I also have an African Grey Parrot, 2 cockatiels and a dog. They all get along and live together in my home.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
HermesMom
In our house {and none are shut away from the others} we have a dog, three cats, 2 guinea pigs and 5 snakes. Everybody co-exists peacefully, for the most part, sometimes the cats will pick on the dog though lol. As far as the snakes, I let the cats sniff/check out the new viv and then that's enough. After that first time checking it out, I tell them to "Git!" and they know to go away from it. The only time I have to lock any of them up is when defrosting mice, my calico likes to steal them and run off. Once in a while one of the cats will get fascinated by one of the corns exploring their viv, but I shoo them away. They know the vivs are off limits but I am very diligent in that regard. I have to be diligent with the mini zoo we have. I've even somehow managed to get one of my dog-hating horses to tolerate the dog going out in her area.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:19 AM   #20
Swellmomma
I have all the caged critters in my livingroom and my cats roam freely. They have never even noticed the snake, they lay on top of the tortoise cage for heat and on top of the guinea pig cage if it is by a window. They ignore all the other critters. My big Tom ignores all the animals basically, he doesn't care as long as they let him sleep. Heck when he found us and adopted us I had 2 foster puppies and one of the puppies and this Tom were best buds. He is just a mellow cat (though the neighbors say he is mean to their cat, hissing at it when it tries to go outside) The kitten is more curious. The other day he learned how to open the guinea pig cage, I found him inside, front paws wrapped around the guinea pig licking it. Not sure if he was tasting for later or grooming it but I had him out of there too quickly to find out. All in all though all my furry animals learn to leave the rest alone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google