CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Difficulty finding herps!

Old 05-25-2014, 09:05 PM   #11
WingedSweetheart
Only thing I ever find under rocks and logs are salamanders and bugs. Mainly ants...

I used to have copperheads in my back field because we have piles of lumber where some old barns fell down. I go out looking through the piles and all I ever find are rabbits. Haven't found a copperhead in years.

I have some pieces of tin out in the field too. Some out in the open some next to the forest. Used to find black racers under tin, but haven't seen one of those either for many years.

About two years ago I manged to see a big fat black rat snake basking in my driveway one morning and the same year I found some baby ring necks on a rocky hillside. Of course no camera in hand.

I managed to find some fence lizards running around on the side of a mountain while driving down the road. If there weren't cars behind me I would have stopped. There was no room to pull over. First time I've seen fence lizards even though they are supposed to be common.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
elliotulysses
Thank all of you for the suggestions. Especially about tin, I hadn't thought of that, but in the area I'm exploring, there is a lot of tall grass and rotted wood and rocks, so it *should* be snake country. I have only found some american toads! I will still be persistant and go on walks in the summer. I like to go on nature trails, something me and my fiance's mom share. Unfortunately, that sort of thing bores my fiance to death! Until then we will take short walks to the old railroad tracks and see what we can spot :P

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google