• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

SRCORNS.COM Hatchling Thread (2015)

Very interested on what they are going to turn out to be and how they look when they are big.

I am too! I suspect they are Kastanie. I did a pairing this season that should prove if they are in fact Kastanies.

Maybe it is allelic to Kastanie but not identical to Kastanie? Like sunrise? Seems strange that we would have 3 different mutant alleles at that locus, but with hypo we have hypo, strawberry, and Christmas, so it clearly isn't too far-fetched.

If they are all allelic and if the differences are not just due to polygenic effects outside the kastanie locus, it will be interesting to see which alleles are dominant over the others, or if you get new phenotypes when they are combined, like with amel and ultra.

Maybe it is allelic to Kastanie but not identical to Kastanie? Like sunrise? Seems strange that we would have 3 different mutant alleles at that locus, but with hypo we have hypo, strawberry, and Christmas, so it clearly isn't too far-fetched.

If they are all allelic and if the differences are not just due to polygenic effects outside the kastanie locus, it will be interesting to see which alleles are dominant over the others, or if you get new phenotypes when they are combined, like with amel and ultra.

Yes it'll be very interesting to say the least! It seems as if Sunrise and Kastanie are alleles and Sunrise perhaps is dominant over Kastanie. For example here are two pics of Sunrise X Kastanie (Het Amel). You can see the "Sunrise" look as hatchlings but soon get lots of color unlike Kastanie, but very much like Sunrise after some sheds.

Attachments

• DSCN4724.JPG
    DSCN4724.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN5334.JPG
    DSCN5334.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 117
I am not too familiar with sunrise, what do they look like without amel?

Edit: I guess you answered that for me, since you didn't get any normals, I guess they look like Kastanies?

I am not too familiar with sunrise, what do they look like without amel?

Edit: I guess you answered that for me, since you didn't get any normals, I guess they look like Kastanies?

Actually no one has ever hatched a NON-Amel Sunrise yet. If things go as planned I should produce some this season.

Actually no one has ever hatched a NON-Amel Sunrise yet. If things go as planned I should produce some this season.

I suspect they will look like Kastanies, since sunrise appeared to be dominant over kastanie in the presence of amel, yet the het kastanie het sunrise that were not amel looked like Kastanies.

If that is the case, then to test whether they are allelic or whether polygenic effects mask the fact that they are identical mutations, I'd cross the amel "sunrises" that are het kastanie to each other. If sunrise is allelic and dominant to kastanie you would get 3/4 amel sunrise 1/4 mandarin.

I suspect they will look like Kastanies, since sunrise appeared to be dominant over kastanie in the presence of amel, yet the het kastanie het sunrise that were not amel looked like Kastanies.

If that is the case, then to test whether they are allelic or whether polygenic effects mask the fact that they are identical mutations, I'd cross the amel "sunrises" that are het kastanie to each other. If sunrise is allelic and dominant to kastanie you would get 3/4 amel sunrise 1/4 mandarin.

Ok, sounds like a plan!

What is the difference between the Blizzards and White out corns? Do they look different or is it just the breeding that goes into them? Thanks :)

What is the difference between the Blizzards and White out corns? Do they look different or is it just the breeding that goes into them? Thanks :)

Blizzards are homozygous for charcoal and amel. Whiteouts are blizzards that are also homozygous for diffused. So they have even less traces of pattern.

Back