CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

Tool to put holes in Sterilite?

Old 03-26-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
DLena
Cool Tool to put holes in Sterilite?

Gypsy, my new adult will only eat in a separate container, covered with a blanket. I've been putting her in a 26 gal tote I had laying around, and waiting for her to sneak out from under the blanket to put her back in her viv. Didn't lid it because it doesn't have holes. I need to put holes in it. How many? Location? What tool to use. I don't want to break the bin.

Old 03-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
it's just plastic. If you were strong enough, you could probably poke an ice pick through it. I personally would use a Power Drill, but then I already own one. I've heard of people using Soldering irons as well. Just get it good and hot and it will slide like butter. It will make a little smoke and stink a bit, but if you're careful it should be ok.

I'd keep the holes fairly small, 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch diameter, and then place a row of them all the way around the tank maybe about 2 inches apart and mid way up.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
DLena
Thanks, Karl. I have a power drill, so I'll do that to avoid those toxic fumes and the cost of a soldering iron.
...I teach HS kids. I'm not allowed to have an ice pick...haha. 😬

Old 03-26-2016, 06:47 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
LOL! I'm surprised they let you own a drill either

Old 03-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #5
DLena
The cord seriously limits my range.

Old 03-27-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Nanci
The problem with using a drill, though, is you can get sharp edges, or even cracks (which can cut snakes' tongues.) I'd stick to a soldering iron, and get a short heavy duty extension cord so you can get outside with it.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
Dragonling
I think I paid less than $10 for my soldering iron. I just use it outside, works for poking lots of very smooth holes in tubs very quickly.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:00 PM   #8
colubridcando18
I have used both initially .... but as said ... drill makes holes with burs and if push too hard in attempt to expedite will crack. Some drills/drill bits will do less damage and not bur as much but I switched quickly to a soldering iron and never looked back ... I do use it outside due to smoke and smell.

Old 03-28-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
DLena
Thank you for the suggestions. I just snagged a soldering iron and will give it a go tomorrow, in the garage.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
Shirl
Uh oh! I just used a soldering iron to make holes in 8 bins for my new rack....I did it in the house....and lived! Hopefully no permanent damage done! Be careful. Mine gets crazy hot!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google