CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

...sigh! Fat Boy? or Gravid Gal?

Old 04-20-2009, 06:16 PM   #91
Old_School
Praying to the snake gods for you guys!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 06:44 PM   #92
Iguanagirl8662
I agree with Nanci, although I have not seen a prolapse in a snake I have seen them in turtles and it looks very similar. She will most likely need surgery to fix it. I am conflicted with what to do till you can get her to the vet normally you should try to keep it clean and moist but if she is still laying taking her out of the box may stress her more.

Best of luck, I hope everything turns out well with her.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #93
bekers71
OMG! That has to be the worst prolapse I've ever seen. Nanci is right a vet is in need immediately. Thank goodness one is on the way. I'm positive that's going to take surgery to fix and she will never be able to breed again. Bless your heart. I hope all goes well. If you think there are no more eggs, put her in a small tote on some wet paper towels.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #94
Chrissie&Coral&Lilly
OH MY GOSH, i think i rethinking about breeding my little female Coral (who i think is a amel)

Old 04-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #95
vetusvates
Good Luck, Mary Ann.
Sincerely,
Eric

Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #96
kathylove
I am glad you found a reptile vet who might be wiling to help - sounded like you had only cat and dog vets near you. Were you able to get to the vet today?

Keep us updated!!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #97
necromantica
Scary stuff, its crazy how such horrible things can happen anywhere, anytime, for any reason.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #98
kathylove
I received the reply from my vet friend I told you about...

I forwarded the photos to her, and she confirms what we all thought...

"Looks like she prolapsed her oviduct. That covering is the lining of the oviduct and the dark stuff looks like a clot inside the oviduct between the two eggs to me. The snake needs to see a vet."

Let us know if you got to the herp vet, and how it turned out.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #99
sierraherps
First just let me say THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!!!!! Please know how much Sean, Whytsnake & I appriciate your warm & caring words and incouragment.

And an EXTRA SPECIAL THANK YOU TO KATHY LOVE FOR GOING THAT EXTRA MILE & BEYOND, WITH ME FOR THE LAST COUPLE DAYS & YESTERDAY!!

AND TO NANCY, FOR HER LIGHTNING QUICK RESPONSE AND KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS!

ok..... now,

...................sigh! What a flipping nightmare this last two days have been. We were at the Vets for nearly 45 minutes before he showed up around 4:30 pm. During which time, one of the eggs broke through that "Oviduct bag", she laid another 2 eggs nomally over the top of the oviduct, and once again started bleeding.
When the "So-Called" Reptile Vet finally showed up, he manipulated the other two eggs out of the bag while telling us that basicaly, She needed the snake equivalent of a Hystorectomy and that including the anyastesia, (<-can't speel good) and IF there wasn't more wrong with her once he got inside, We were looking at about $1100.00, and there would be no guarentee she would recover, 'EVEN IF" she made it through the surgery, as she is obviously so weak. Oh yeah...and they would need a deposit of $750.00 up front, right then, to even get started. .......................double sigh!

Just like Brett with Dizz, we don't have that kind of money, granted we could put it on our Credit card, but then if she still died..........? (which he seemed to lay odds on) Not to mention the 12% interest... Well....you see my meaning I am sure..... (If you are squeemish, you may not want to read on...)
sooooo....
We discussed it (Sean & I) and decided to take her, the two normal eggs and the three eggs from her oviduct home, and "when" she began to show signs of distress or pain of any kind... We would put her out of her misery at home. Sean actually said, he could drown her... To which I IMMEDIATLY said...
"NO no no, I once helped a friend youthinize her 2 foot lizard with some kind of "Flesh eating infection" she was told the lizard would die from it... So, we took him out in the snow, and stayed with him until he was..... gone. (we were told he couldn't hybernate through 10* weather and that it was a very humane way to do it) It worked, and it was totally painless. We never saw even a hint of distress, as a matter of fact, it was the first time in DAYS, he wasn't distressed, because the cold numbed his skin instantly. So... when it is time, we will just put Whytsnake in the freezer over night... I would imagine that would do it after all I have read about what degree they should be "Brumated at". "
Poor Sean was SO releived that he would not have to do it his way... And understood completely how painless it would be my way.
So... we brought her home, I cleaned her up again, put a pillow case covering the bottom of her VIV. Clean, damp paper towels in her laying box and watched her for several hours. She seemed worn out completely although she did manage to drink a tad bit of water... she just laid still so we let her be.
We woke up EARLY this am to check on her, and she had come out of her box, and was curled up on the hot side, on the dry pillowcase. There was another egg (normal looking) across the VIV on her shell and get this... When I opened the Viv to see if she was alive or dead and get the egg... Not only was she alive... but that entire blood filled, ripped oviduct bag... was back inside of her! I pulled the laying box out and there was not one drop of new blood! Just the same amount there had been after the bag tore... I went to gently pet her head like she likes... and she raised her head into the pet... she even had some strength behind it! She then drank a sip of water and laid back down... That was all around 5am this morning. It is now noon, and she just got another short drink (the water is RIGHT NEXT TO HER in a shallow dish), there still is no new blood, and she doesn't appear to be anything except WORN OUT... Which seems perfectly natural considering.....
Now, I realize that this does not mean she IS FOR SURE going to survive... But hey, as long as she does not appear to be in pain or distress... Hell, who knows! Sean is getting some retile antibiotic and vitamins on his way to work, (it's better to have some around anyways, we do have 5 other snakes) and if she is still ok by the time he comes home around 8pm, we will put that in her water and go from there. And if she shows any signs of distress before then, well, now that I had accepted she was going to die yesterday, I will be strong enough to put her in the freezer if need be.

.......................so, there's where we are so far...............
And to those of you who have been through this prolapse thing, PLEASE! Do not be afraid to tell me that even though it receeded into her she will still die... Like I said, I accepted the loss yesterday, cried for 2 hours, then resolved myself to the same thing I had to when my little Princess dog was suffering three weeks ago... Youthinization is kinder than letting ANY LOVED PET SUFFER! I already thought about the possible infection of that thing being open and then going back into her, that is why we are getting the antibiotics...
I don't know folks, it seems that as long as SHE seems ok, we owe it to her to give BOTH HER and NATURE a chance.... We shall see soon I am sure...

Thoughts? Opinions? What do you guys think?

~Mary Ann

Old 04-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #100
richm2778
I have no idea how you stayed sane throughout this ordeal. I wish you and your baby the best. I am a pretty firm believer that the natural route is the best way to let things sort themselves out. I have my fingers crossed for you and your snake. Get her well soon, or love her until the end.

Rich

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google