CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Early introductions

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #21
carnivorouszoo
If you can't get the moss try pearlite, I hear its nicer than vermiculite.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #22
diamondlil
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorouszoo View Post
If you can't get the moss try pearlite, I hear its nicer than vermiculite.
I've not tried perlite before. The moss seems to hold the humidity better for layboxes (which lose water through the hole in the top of the box) so I'm off to see what I can get 'round the shops.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #23
diamondlil
Absolutely no luck with getting moss! I've got organic peatmoss compost without any fertiliser to try. It's holding the humidity better than plain vermiculite and all the girls have been exploring and digging around in their layboxes.
So now I'm hoping I'm on the count-down to eggs. Belle has just shed (prelay? fingers crossed) Annie, Polly and Sundance are blue. All the girls are a nice healthy shape so I'm hoping keeping them lean will pay off in all their eggs (or slugs) being passed without trouble)

Old 04-06-2010, 04:57 PM   #24
diamondlil
First up, Belle, still eating ravenously, and not in the mood to let me feel if she's egged up!
Second, Polly, all full up and looking so uncomfortable, but sweet and dopey.
Then Sundance, in shed, fat as can be and 'jello back' showing!
(The other 3 girls were not in the mood for photo-shoots, I left them alone in their lay-boxes)

Old 04-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #25
harm781
They look so uncomfortable. Good luck with the next 2 weeks and all the girls dropping eggs. Looks as though you're going to have plenty.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 PM   #26
diamondlil
Thanks. I'll be setting up the new incubator on Thursday, so it gets a chance to stabilise before they lay.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #27
diamondlil
No eggs here yet. Thankfully, because the incubator is running a little warm and there's an invasion of tiny little flies in the layboxes! I've sprinkled diatomaceous earth to see if I can kill the pests.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #28
wade
I hate those little gnats. They drive me crazy and they are tough to swat. It makes you look crazy trying to swat a fly nobody else can see.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #29
diamondlil
I hear you Wade! I don't want to disturb the girls too much, they are all digging around and settling in the layboxes, so I've sprinkled the diatomaceous earth in their substrate around the boxes. Don't want to use any chemical control this close to laying.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #30
diamondlil
The diatomaceous earth is working, only a couple of the little flies left. Fat girlies all around, Annie has eggs right to her vent and Kate has gone into blue again (2 prelay sheds?) Here's Belle, Pearl, Sundance and Polly

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google