CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Ball Python??

Old 07-14-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Bug22baby
Ball Python??

Ok I know this is a Cornsnake Forum and I do have 11 cornsnakes, but I recntly got a 3 month old male ball python and I know many people on this forum have other snakes besides corns, that could have great information. Right now I have him in a 35qt tub with papertowel and aspen for a substrate. Is aspen bad for Ball Pythons? I read in one book that its bad and another that its good. Just doesnt make sense to me. I keep getting the same thing with humidity. One book says they should have around 80-90 percent Humidity and another one says dry with a water dish for soaking. Also he eats live adult mice normally, and last week was the first time I fed him (1 week after getting him). I hate feeding live I was nervous the entire time, today I wanted to try frozen thawed see if he will eat it, does anyone know what the best way to get a live eater to eat a frozen thawed mouse? Or should I just lay it in the tank like I do with my corns?? Thanks For any Information. Amanda

Old 07-14-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
DAND
When I had ball pythons I used aspen without any problems.

They do need higher humidity.

Trying to convert a live feeder to frozen sometimes takes time, other times they just do it. I'd try just putting it in there first. If that doesn't work you will have to either use some tongs or tail the mouse and move in front of the snake so it seems to be alive.

Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
LilJack
Congrats on the Python. Aspen isn't the best choice for them mainly because it can cause a respiratory problems if ingested while the feed. And you'll have to monitor it closely and remove any soiled parts to avoid bacteria and fungus.
You don't need to provide any special humidity, this can become a problem if you for instance mist the snake every day possibly causing blister disease. Instead provide him a large enough water bowl to drink from and soak in. He'll get enough humidity from that. As far as feeding the snake f/t after it has been on live mice, try first laying the mouse in the area with the snake and see if it goes for it. If not, use some tongs to dangle the mouse in front of him. You don't want to get bit by the python, it hurts more than a corn<g> If it doesn't take to the f/t at first. Try again in a couple days before giving up.
Hope this helps

Old 07-14-2005, 11:39 AM   #4
TBurkeIII
i use cypress bedding for all of my balls. this works great. never a problem. awesome for spot cleaning too! i use freedom breeder racks for all of them and tend to keep the back moist where the heat/hot spot is. and believe it or not i dont have any balls that eat frozen thawed. the balls for the most part are good when it comes to not getting hurt by live rodents. i can throw one in there and keep an eye on it. i remove it after a little while though if they have not yet snagged it. this can become a pain though if you have to run out to the store every week just to obtain a live rodent. balls are picky eaters so dont be surprised if you cannot convert it to F/T rodents.

Good Luck!!

Old 07-14-2005, 11:41 AM   #5
Bug22baby
Thanks

Great, Thanks For the INFO!
I got corns down, I just been trying to get insight on the ball to make sure hes taken care of properly. Dont wanna be like the well know Reptile Addict! As for my set up, like I stated I have him in a 35qt tub, for some reason and I do not know why, the tub keeps getting water droplets on the sides as in high humidity. I have no clue why it is happening in his tub only, and not in my corns since they are pretty much very similar. The only thing I can think of is that hes getting in the water and the movement of the water along with the heat is causing it. Im back to the aspen confusion. To keep it or get rid of it? Once again I got mixed answers lol. I guess maybe its whatever I find best works for me. I do not feed in the tubs, I remove all my snakes and feed in seperate feeding containers. I guess I will monitor him in the aspen and see how he does, if I sense any stress or problems I will remove him from it. My temps are warm on one side in the upper 80's and a lil bit cooler on the cool side upper 70's to low 80's. Depends on the time I temp out the tub. I find him always on the warm side, is this a sign that it may be beneficial to provide a even warmer basking area, or are those temps good you think? Also if you have any input on the water droplets collecting, I been wipeing them out to keep it from getting to humid, but would it be fine to leave them? Or maybe more aireholes lower? Thanks Again for your comments, much appreciated. Amanda

Old 07-14-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Bug22baby
Frozen Thawed

Im gonna try tonight with a frozen thawed, previous owner was Gregg aka Drizzit_19 of this forum. The first time I fed him was a week ago and I fed him a live adult mouse because he told me that he feeds adult or small rats. Well the first mouse he just balled up on, he eventully struck at it twice but then he never got it and balled up and hissed at it while the thing climbed all over him. I then took him out because I was scared to allow my snake to get bitten by this dumb mouse, who eww feeding live is gross the mice poop everywhere! Anyhow I took that mouse back and exchanged it for a hopper, which is like a snack for the size of this ball, not even a minute later he struck and ate it. I was told by Gregg that he did eat a Frozen thawed previously but he had to make it look alive. So Im gonna test him out tonight see if I can convince him into frozen mice.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
TBurkeIII
balls need to be much more humid than corns. the water is fine in the cage...trust me. as long as it isnt soaked throughout the cage your good. i keep my balls 90 on the hot side and low 80's on the cool. they are the easiest things to keep as long as you keep them feeding. LOL. no worries you are doing fine. Cypress mulch will hold the humidity real good though, so you may want to consider that, and from experience there has never been any problems on my part with it. about 30 balls and none have any problems. good luck

Old 07-14-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
Jynx
I also use cypress for my balls and my boas for higher humidity, and found it works very well. I do a light mist once a day in the morning on both, and my humidity levels stay at optimum.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:06 PM   #9
Bug22baby
Thanks

Thanks Alotfor all the Info, next time Im at the pet shop Ill look into cypress for him. Maybe increase temps a lil bit. Other then that as long as he eats a frozen thawed (HOPING) I should be good to go. Now if only I had someone to spoil me and give me optimum living conditions at all time! Thanks Amanda

Old 03-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #10
reeper7823
Anouther thing you might look at. I use reptile carpet. Ijust take the one out and wash it and let it dry. I keep a few clean ones just for this reason. Just got back into haven snakes about 5 months ago.
I donnt use any wood chips like liljack said they could eat it when it sticks to the food item. But harder to keep humidity up becouse of that. But my bp seem to shed fine.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google