CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Large (2-3g) Pinky or 2 Regular (1-2g) Pinkies?

Old 08-11-2020, 10:00 PM   #1
Laculebrita.Sienna
Large (2-3g) Pinky or 2 Regular (1-2g) Pinkies?

I need to stock up on some mice for my snake and am looking to buy them in bulk. My 5 month old motley is about 15.4g so far and I know pretty soon I will have to start giving him bigger meals. Ive been feeding him a pinky every 5 days and he's been eating like a champ! I was wondering if I should purchase 100 regular day old pinkies to start feeding him double pinkies for the near future or say 25 pinkies for now and 50 "large" 2-5 day old pinkies for later. My worries are that Ive read/heard mixed things about feeding snakes multiple meals at a time. Also I'm not sure if he'll eventually be able to take large pinkies (by the time the regulars run out) because the regular pinkies now still leave a decent bulge (photos attached). Any advice?

Bonus quick question: does any one know how long it usually takes for corns to upgrade to large pinkies and fuzzies? I know every snake is different, but mine seems to be growing at a pretty average rate.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:31 PM   #2
Shiari
15 grams is when I typically move mine onto two large pinks. I would buy a bag of 50 of those, and start giving him 1 large pink for a few meals and then jump up to 2. I doubt you will need more than the one bag, honestly.

Old 08-11-2020, 10:57 PM   #3
Laculebrita.Sienna
Oh wow! So should I have started him on large pinkies already? I've never seen a large pinky mouse, does his girth look like it could handle one? I am terrified of getting a regurge

Old 08-12-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
SnakeCreations
Hi Laculebrita!

You are good. I also move my hatchlings to 2 single pinkies or a 3 gram pink (large) at 15 grams. I also agree that you'll move up rather quickly, so only get a bag.

One of my favorite threads is this one: http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...40&postcount=3

Enjoy!

Tonya

Old 08-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #5
Laculebrita.Sienna
Hey Tonya, thanks for your reply! I'd been looking for a guide like that everywhere but just kept reading "all snakes grow differently, you just have to wait and see". With all of this advice in mind I decided to go to micedirect.com and get a bag of 20 regular pinkies, 40 large pinkies and 20 small fuzzies. This way, I can start doubling regulars for 10 meals or have the option of mixing a regular with a large if necessary - and use the same approach for the large pinkies and small fuzzies down the road. Usually for a variety of sizes and amounts (not in bulk) it can get pricey but currently if you spend $49, they'll ship for free! I spent $60 total so I'm glad for that price he'll be set with food for a while with a good gradual increase in sizes dependent on his needs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google