CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Diseases

Old 03-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Jla293
Question Diseases

Is it possible for corns to carry or transmit any diseases? Is it very important to wash your hands after handling one? I'm just curious about any health hazards they could have. Thanks!

Old 03-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
CAV
It is possible to transmit micro-ickies to a human (and vice-versa) or even other animals. Reptile hobbyist should make a habit of washing their hands immediately after handling their collection. Waterless hand sanitizers are great to have around when you are handling your animals.

Did you every get your snake sexed?

Old 03-16-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
hediki
yes some things can be transmitted by snakes like salminela and other things. colds,flues and ect canot be transmited to snake and RI cant be trasnmitted to humans.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:06 PM   #4
Jla293
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV
Did you every get your snake sexed?
Nope I didn't!

Is it common that they can transfer salminela? What exactly is that?

Old 03-16-2005, 09:36 PM   #5
CAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jla293
What exactly is that?
From the Center for Disease Control

What is salmonellosis?

Salmonellosis is an infection with a bacteria called Salmonella. Most persons infected with Salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts 4 to 7 days, and most persons recover without treatment. However, in some persons the diarrhea may be so severe that the patient needs to be hospitalized. In these patients, the Salmonella infection may spread from the intestines to the blood stream, and then to other body sites and can cause death unless the person is treated promptly with antibiotics. The elderly, infants, and those with impaired immune systems are more likely to have a severe illness.

What sort of germ is Salmonella?

The Salmonella germ is actually a group of bacteria that can cause diarrheal illness in humans. They are microscopic living creatures that pass from the feces of people or animals, to other people or other animals. There are many different kinds of Salmonella bacteria. Salmonella serotype Typhimurium and Salmonella serotype Enteritidis are the most common in the United States. Salmonella has been known to cause illness for over 100 years. They were discovered by a American scientist named Salmon, for whom they are named.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #6
MegF.
Gosh, yer so edimicated Cav!

Old 03-16-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
CAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegF.
Gosh, yer so edimicated Cav!
If by "edimicated" you mean "I know how to cut and paste" then yes, that would be me.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:13 PM   #8
moreptiles
I get the question about salmonellosis all of the time, and I was curious as to how many cases of salmonellosis have others on this forum had over the years from handling captive bred corns?

My experience --- None.

Do we know that this is really a common thing or is it just hearsay?

Mark

Old 03-18-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
Jla293
Quote:
Originally Posted by moreptiles
I get the question about salmonellosis all of the time, and I was curious as to how many cases of salmonellosis have others on this forum had over the years from handling captive bred corns?

My experience --- None.

Do we know that this is really a common thing or is it just hearsay?

Mark
That's a good question! Anyone have an answer?

Old 03-18-2005, 11:58 PM   #10
MegF.
I have read many a source that say that reptiles can carry salmonella. I certainly would not want to risk it. Besides, you should wash your hands after handling them just to avoid spreading disease to the rest of your collection. I also wash after playing with my dogs, my horses, and anywhere else that might load a bunch of disease causing germs. It's just good practice.