CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feed Size

Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
AlexEarl
Feed Size

two out of my three snakes are on 2 pinkies every 5 days and have eaten them without a problem for the past 2 months. i went into my local reptile shop today and i asked when i should move them onto fuzzies and they said now. the fuzzy doesnt look that much thicker then the thickest part on one of my snakes but it is quite a bit bigger than his head . so i was wondering if i should just put it in there on feeding day to see if it eats it?

also my other snake is going into shed, so before moving up a meal size should i leave him to change his outfit before offering him a fuzzy?

Old 11-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
atmox
Snakes can handle bigger meals than you might think. If you want to be save cut of the front legs of the mouse they seem to struggle with this.

Some snakes will eat while in blue some won't. your choice i think

Old 11-26-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
AlexEarl
yer hes been fine with eating every other time he has shed, guess ill try them both out tomorrow

thanks

Old 11-26-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
bitsy
They should be able to eat something one and a half times the thickness of their body, so fuzzies sound fine.

Bear in mind that it will take them a lot longer to swallow the fuzzy than it does the pinkies, so don't be alarmed if they have to be left alone with the food for some time. Be careful not to stand over them or disturb them, as they might be inclined to spit it back out if they feel threatened. That will be made more acute by the fact that one is about to shed.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
AlexEarl
ok ill give it a try tomorrow and ill clean there tanks so im not tempted to watch over them, although the one in shed normally takes the pinky out my hand and eats it there and then, so i might watch him

thanks for the help

Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
AlexEarl
just remembered something i also wanted to ask, if they cant eat a fuzzy shall i offer them 2 pinkys straight away or wait a few days?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
bitsy
I'd leave it a couple of days. Mind you, they might sniff around a fuzzy for a while before eating - it's a new thing to them - so don't take that as a refusal, just give them a while to get used to the idea.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #8
AlexEarl
They both ate them fine which is good. How long should I wait before there next meal?

Thanks

Old 11-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Haarstad
i would wait 6-7 days before feeding again, i would follow this plan

Old 11-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
AlexEarl
so its been 3 days since they have eaten and the smallest out of the two hardly has a lump left, but the biggest has a noticeable lump which i believe is down to him not leaving his hide on the cold side so is not getting sufficient heat. how would i go about either getting him to wander out more (iv just added an extra hide that stretches fromte cold to warm side), or should i switch the side the heat matt is on so his favourite hide is over the heat matt?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google