CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

sick snake

Old 02-12-2005, 03:24 PM   #1
hediki
sick snake

can a corn snakes catch a could or the flu?

Old 02-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
mbdorfer
I don't think so. They are prone to respiratory infections, but can't contract sickness from humans.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Missy
i always thought they could actually catch cold or flu from humans... am not sure where abouts i heard this, it was years ago i heard it though.

Old 02-12-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
CAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by hediki
can a corn snakes catch a could or the flu?
That reminds me of the story of the little corn snake that could....

Old 02-12-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
mbdorfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy
i always thought they could actually catch cold or flu from humans... am not sure where abouts i heard this, it was years ago i heard it though.
If I'm not mistaken, they are unable to transmit disease to humans and vice versa. I read this somewhere and have been looking for the source. If I come across it, I'll post the info

Old 02-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #6
TrpnBils
I don't have any way to prove it one way or another, but I would really be surprised if they could (and chances are there would probably be other threads about it on here if they could)...so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Old 02-12-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
MegF.
I think the only thing that can be transmitted is salmonella from the snake to you. Always wash thoroughly after handling.

Old 02-13-2005, 09:53 AM   #8
Skye
Salmonella is the main threat. There are a couple of other things you could, and wouldn't want from your snake, but these are much less likely for the snake to be carrying in the first place. As Meg says, always practice good hygiene. AFAIK they can not catch colds or flu from us.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:50 PM   #9
gardenmum
I would not think that it is remotely possible for your snake to contract a virus from you. The only species of animal - that we keep as "pets" in our homes - that can catch a human "cold", that I know of, is the ferret. Cats, dogs, horses, etc, etc, are not susepttible to human cold viruses. I would be EXTREMELY surprised if a cold blooded species could.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
Vinman
diseases

there are more than a few over 3000 from what I was told about 16 years ago
be sure you wash and dry your hands thoroughly. Trichomonas yes the S.T.D. can be transmitted between snake and humans, females are more at risk then men. It can be transmited through fecal contamination so make shure that when you go to the bathroom wash your hands add dry them twice thoroughly before you touch your animals or handle their water bolws ,food and other equipment so you dont pass anything to your snake
When you clean cages or get in contact with fecal matter wet or dry follow the same protocol especially women if you dont clean hands properly and go to the bathroom you may be at risk of getting Trichomonas vaginaly.
Ecolli and a host of nematodes,parasitic worms and protozoa (Flagellates) ect.
can be passed from snake to human and human to snake.
Salmonella is the least of my worries for most us are imune to this disease you will come in contact more with Salmonella around your kitchen than a snake or reptile .People tend to turn on and off the faucet when prepairing chickin to eat then you go wash your hands latter on that day turn off the water when your done .You think your hands are clean but not, you touch the contamied handles on the faucet.You are soposed to disinfect the faucet handles after your done cleaning chicken people raley do this they just rinse them with some soap and water. If anybody like more info feel to call my home 1 718 792 2593 10 AM to 12 AM est.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google