CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Green spot in death

Old 03-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
Shaky
Green spot in death

Anybody ever figure out for sure what causes the dark green spot on a cornsnake's belly when it dies?

Old 03-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
Serpwidgets
Yes, the gallbladder.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #3
CAV
You didn't kill one did you Jack????

That pair of garters I recently found have been breeding. How long is their gestation period?

Old 03-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #4
Shaky
Green spot

Yeah, but what causes the gall bladder to burst?

Cav, I had a remaining little baby from an Oct. hatch that I brumated without feeding. It finally ate a few weeks ago, then regurged right away.
Died a week later.

I'll have to check records on the garters. What was the date you found them copulating?

Old 03-30-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
CAV
Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday....so far.

Ocellatus male and annectens female. I found both under the same piece of debris a week apart. I think he was probably following her scent trail.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
Shaky
gestation

As far as I can tell, the gestation is around 75 days, but I had one bear young last year on July 26th.
I could be that the temperature plays a part in counting days for these guys.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Hurley
The gall bladder doesn't burst, it becomes leaky. It takes energy to keep those bile salts from leaking throught the membrane. After death, the wall weakens and the pigmented bile salts leak out causing that green spot. I've also seen this happen in some corns prior to death when death is imminent and everything is shutting down.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #8
Shaky
Thanks, Hurley

When Serp answered me, I remembered that I already knew that it was the gall bladder, but I never knew why.
Several years ago when the only outlet was chatting on kingsnake, it was still a matter of conjecture. "I think it may be the gall bladder' was tossed around when the subject came up.
Turns out I'd never had a death like this before, so it kinda slipped my mind.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:43 AM   #9
MegF.
Just a question Shaky. Why did you brumate a hatchling? Does it help stimulate an appetite in a poor or non-feeder?

Old 03-31-2005, 03:15 AM   #10
Joejr14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegF.
Just a question Shaky. Why did you brumate a hatchling? Does it help stimulate an appetite in a poor or non-feeder?

It seems like quite a few people do it and get it to work. I would assume in the more temperate ranges of the corns natural habitat they have to 'brumate' in some form or fashion to stay alive.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google