CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

So Peach is now Amaretto?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #21
MysticExotics
I thought it was named Cinder, but Rich didn't want to call them Cinder, so he started calling them Ashy, but I could be wrong.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #22
iculatr
Looks like the trade name issue has been around for many years. Just out of curiosity, I searched back to where "Orchid" started showing up. I found this post (http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ghlight=orchid) which also includes "Plasma," "Avalanche" and "Moonstone." Interesting...

Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
airenlow
I miss KJ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN View Post
Most of the "new trade" names are created by people that have nothing to do with the morph in question (other than owning one) but want to feel like they actually contribute to the hobby. Of course, a name is nothing like a new morph, new mutation, or a new set of knowledge; but it is the best they can do. Soooo, they create a name, wave a flag, and feel like they have somehow altered the course of herpetoculture for the better. That's how I see it, anyway. These confusing names made by Johnny-come-latelies represent all that was embarrassing to herpetoculture with the ball python craze. It was like some cornsnajke guys looked at all the dumb stuff being done in that market and said "Hey! We can be sillier than that!"....and succeeded.....lol.

EVERYONE: Use whatever name you want - just don't expect that others have to, too. ...and be prepared to list the individual genes that make it up for the 90+% of cornsnake buyers that don't care what the morph is called as long as it (1) has the look they like and/or (2) has the genetics they want.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #24
iculatr
Quote:
Originally Posted by airenlow View Post
I miss KJ...
Never knew him, but as I was reading the responses in that thread, I could tell he sure wasn't afraid to speak his mind!

Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #25
Outcast
I miss KJ as well. Where is he?

Old 04-30-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
Outcast
Well, it seems as though he still logs on to the forums. Last activity 4-30-2012

Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
Did a little research and it seems that the "peach" mystery line corns produced by Rich Hume are NOT amber lavenders. The exact reason for their coloration and their full genetics is still unknown and may simply be selective/line breeding so they can still be called "peach" corns while hypo caramel lavenders can be called "amaretto" corns.

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ighlight=peach
http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...ighlight=peach
Thanks Susan for getting this info. This is what I see that people just can not comprehend for some reason.

This goes back to the original post question.......so Peach is now Amaretto?? Answer: NO it is not.

A Peach corn is not made up of the genetic trait combine of: HYPO + CARAMEL + LAVENDER............however a Amaretto is.

We are talking about two different visiual morphs made up of a different trait combination, period. So there are Peach Corns and there are Amaretto Corns.

Again, my post here is not about who likes the trade name of ANY particular morphs, it's about the fact that Peach & Amaretto are two totally different morphs.

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #28
airenlow
Thought that was established in the other thread already...

Peach is not Amber Lav. Amber Lav = Armadillo!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
Walter Smith
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns View Post
I'll chime in, I like names that I can tell what the morph is better than "pretty word names" too, I like hypo lav, anery lav, caramel lav, sunkissed lav etc much better than the alternative stuff, moonstone orchid and what have you. I don't really care what other people use but I try and put the morph name on my delis: Anery bloodred, Hypo cinder, etc.
Jen,
I understand you don't like trade names and that is perfectly fine and your right and I'm defiantly not trying to change your mind here so please don't take this as that.

However, I think you may run into a little problem ,when the time comes, to label a deli cup containing a:
Sunkissed Hypo Lavender Stripe Bloodred Tessera.............well without covering the entire lid anyway

Walter
BOUT' CORNS !!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #30
Susan
And since it's been asked, Rich Z discovered the first ashy/cinder corn and it was initially named "morph Z" or "anery Z". Once Rich had a better idea how the morph as a whole was going to look, he named them "ashy". Carol got hers from him via a hidden het and marketed hers under the name "cinder". Most people preferred the name "cinder" and that's the most widely used one at present, proof that just because you discover a gene or are the first to produce something, doesn't necessarily mean that the name you give it is the one that will stick.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google