CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Tessera market

Old 10-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Jefe View Post
When you have a snake that is an "investment" you are going to get people in the market that are there for the investment. Sometimes people like to realize short term gain, especially if the market is volatile...which the snake market, especially corn snake market, can be. When someone buys it for X dollars and realizes in 2 years they can sell 5 of the offspring at Y which collectively is more than X, you start to see sales. The problem is, when one person can't sell theirs at Y they are forced to move to Z where Z is less than Y. Eventually, Z x 5 is also less than the original X and people start to panic and start selling there critters for Z -n where n is larger and larger and instead of making money back you are trying to get as close to breaking even and far from losing your shirt. When it becomes a money game, it is all about the math.
Jeff,

And Might I Add..... You Done did a Fine Job With that Math sir! All them X's Y's & Z'S !!!

Thought I was at work running My CNC Machine!

Scary!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #12
nmoore601
Haha that's good Rich. I was reading about Tessera hybrid speculation on another forum. Maybe that is having an effect as well. I'm not saying it is, just making conversation!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
AliCat37
I noticed that too. And yes, while now it's more likely that I can afford one, I'm not overly excited that the price dropped so fast. I think it's because it's a dominant gene, and too many were sold right away. I like how the palmetto market is working out right now, they should hold steady for years to come.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post
I noticed that too. And yes, while now it's more likely that I can afford one, I'm not overly excited that the price dropped so fast. I think it's because it's a dominant gene, and too many were sold right away. I like how the palmetto market is working out right now, they should hold steady for years to come.
Agreed!

I think Don is doing a wonderful Job with the palmetto!

True, It means I'll probably never own one.... But thats ok.

seen one in daytona!! (OMG!)

Old 10-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #15
Chip
Palmettos also aren't dominant. That was a big part of the problem with Tesseras. But the big problem was overproduction -people with one male breeding it to everything they own. Immediately, they had tesseras het for everything. Feed a baby boy well and he's making you visuals the next year. But in the meantime, they had a crapload of tesseras to sell. And NObody seemed to want the females. From day one the female price should have been about 1/3 the price of males.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
rich333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
Palmettos also aren't dominant. That was a big part of the problem with Tesseras. But the big problem was overproduction -people with one male breeding it to everything they own. Immediately, they had tesseras het for everything. Feed a baby boy well and he's making you visuals the next year. But in the meantime, they had a crapload of tesseras to sell. And NObody seemed to want the females. From day one the female price should have been about 1/3 the price of males.
Yup!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #17
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliCat37 View Post

No, too many weren't sold right away. They dropped in reasonable increments until this year. Then one person produced more than he could handle and dumped them and the person who bought them obviously had to disperse them, at a bargain price, but not dirt cheap, either. Brian Barczyk is the one who has totally tanked it. Still- for $150 you don't get the hets or poss hets. You can't research and find mating photos of the parents.

And do we really need to even bring up the hybrid crock of crap again? Seriously. ALL snakes, because of how patterns develop, are bound to have the same basic patterns across all species. Educate yourselves if you aren't familiar with that concept.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
nmoore601
Never heard of that breeder.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Nanci
You're so into balls, Nick, that surprises me.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #20
Mitchell Mulks
I was wondering when someone was finally going to mention the dominant component of tesseras. Being a dominant gene you get the phenotype in the next generation as opposed to two, just as several of you have already stated. That's huge. I know that I spoke to someone who said they bred a single male to almost thirty females and only had three bad clutches. Even if only a quarter of the tessera offspring were sold at cheap prices, that's still a lot of cheap tessera. Eventually, considering the popularity of tessera, and the ease at which you can produce the visual morph of your desire, they should ultimately be cheeper than non-tessera versions of the same morph. As consumers we pay for the rarity of the morph and its investment potential. Seeing as how it appears that they aren't that rare anymore and that the investment side is of it sucks, I highly doubt that the high prices we saw associated with tessera just two years ago will ever exist again...for any tessera morph.

Plus, it doesn't help that the super corn (75% corn X 25% striped cal king) looks identical to a tessera (and is probably the origin of this morph. Seeing as how Cal king hybrids have been made for decades...and while keeping Occam's razor in mind, it seems likely that this is the origin of the tessera morph in corns; jungle corns have been popular for a LONG time).

Btw, I still don't know how the freaking hognose market hasn't crashed?! They easily double-clutch, sometimes even triple clutch, and can lay upwards to twenty eggs per clutch. Weird!

Mitch

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google