CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Tessera market

Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #61
Rich Z
Warning: This conversation will likely be much more interesting and instructive to readers without the interpersonal derogatory bickering. So please stop. Otherwise we are all going to be doing without the participation of ALL involved parties for a few days.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #62
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin S. View Post
Ask and you shall receive.
Snake #1, amel- not a cornsnake head pattern. Really- I can't pick on this one too much.

Snake #2, obvious banana coloration. Head screams cali king to me. The short snout, the pale nose and abundance of pale scales around the eyes, the way the saddle color bleeds into the border of the central stripe..

Snake #3, obvious banana coloration, cali head

Snake #4, lack of side pattern indicates a stripe, (if it were a striped Tessera) but then the central stripe would be perfect, not jagged. And the stripe turns back to a blotched pattern on the tail. Pretty snake, though! He's really the most corn-like, to my eye.

Anyway, just what I see.

Personally, I don't really care if tesseras, or ultras, or palmettos, are hybrids or not.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #63
Kokopelli
People COME ON, dealing with morphs and "keeping it natural" have very little to do with one another.

Going overboard with species purity but still chasing morphs is trying to hold the rope on both ends.

IMHO, people who go into morphs should be aware and know that at some point, the species purity of their animals might become slightly compromised.

Anyways...

Corns are PROLLIFIC animals. You can't compare them to BP's or Hognoses due to the sheer number of keepers and the rapid rate at which they grow and breed... (not to mention the large clutches).

Without a strict selling protocol, price drops are simply a part of owning Corns...

Having known the field for a few years now... I'm not sure anyone can really rely on a single project having a longer than 2 years life-span before the price seriously drops... that's just how the Reptile world works.

It takes allot of effort to prevent that.

For instance, I was told that in the beginning of the Jag project in carpets, a seller used to sell males after he made them sterile... thus ensuring his status...
So... since I don't advocate such acts, all I can say is that it is extremely rare and difficult to make tons of money with a relatively small investment(AKA, a single pair of animals with an already proven trait which you're not the sole owner of).

Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #64
Tom Tuttle
This thread is so off topic now!

IMHO: It's rude to hijack a thread to discuss your opinions on wether or not Tessera is hybrid. Please have the common courtesy to start your own discussion in the proper section.

Most of this thread now belongs in the morph section.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #65
Reptilekyle64
I loved the start of this thread and I love even more when I know and see people destroying the corn snake market, Other then Palmetto there is nothing left to keep the this market afloat, Hooray for maybe the 1 gene found a year the people can take that and belittle it. Why exactly does anyone breed the crazy amount of snakes that they do, (30-50 clutches is too much IMO) of course your allowed to do what you choose, but are you even pulling out the profits or progressing the community

Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #66
Jaded_Heart
I never understood why Corn Snakes are and have always been one of the most affordable species that has a huge variety of genetics to play with. You would THINK because almost ALL of our genes are recessive, the time and challenge it takes to create new stuff would make them MORE valuable then say... BALL PYTHONS, which has a tiny handfull of recessive genes, but most of their stuff is Dom/Co-Dom and pretty easy to toss stuff together and make new morphs. Yet they have a LARGE number of morphs in their industry that fetch the price of a stinkin' CAR!!!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #67
bitsy
Quote:
I have also done some reading on the Tessera morph and from what I read is the original owner of the trio that was sold had his info on his hard drive and threw it into a lake.
Think you'll find that was Ultras - on this comprehensive thread somewhere I think (sorry, didn't bookmark the specific post): http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...120832&page=20

Old 10-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #68
ghosthousecorns
I think it's just hard times right now, many people can't afford to spend the money, to the point where dropping the price isn't going to make them spend money they don't have.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #69
nmoore601
Very true ghosthouse

Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #70
knox
I was wondering why there were so many Tesseras on the classifieds pages that are just sitting there. Makes sense now.

But heck, there is even a Pied Ball that is in the Other Animals section that has been there for quite a while. So Pied Balls have dropped as well.

It doesn't seem much is selling these days.

Wow! I just went to BHB's site. Tesseras - were $500, now $150. Talk about a price drop...

Personally, I prefer my Corns with saddles. I was never into the Tesseras and wouldn't have paid more than $10 for one. If I want a striped snake, I will get a Garter. I like my Corns to look like Corns. That is just my opinion - it is quite obvious that many, many people prefer the stripes on the Corns.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google