CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Animal Cruelty Local Boy Charged.(not for weak at heart)

Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 AM   #1
RyanR
Animal Cruelty Local Boy Charged.(not for weak at heart)

well today i was reading the newspaper... and a 14 year old boy was charged for animal cruely.. would you like to know what he did/does? he got a kick out of watching his snake eat Live... But didnt want to risk hurting it,,. so he would take Nail clippers to the mice's TEETH and cut them off.. and then cut them tip of the tows off.. when i read this i was PISSED... Im only 16.. and this kid is giving snake owners bad name + "kids" will be labeled this way around here now... stuff like this pisses me off!!!

Old 12-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
princess
Angry

That's just horrid. He deserves to have his fingers and toes hacked off, teeth ripped out and be fed to some hungry cougars...

What a horrible person.

Old 12-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #3
Gintha
GAH! Thats disgusting!! The poor mice!!!!

Old 12-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #4
mbdorfer
Yeah, even I'm appalled at that.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Roy Munson
That is a terrible story, but at least he had his snake's welfare in mind. It's completely legal to maim a cat by having it declawed, and this is usually done for the sole purpose of protecting non-living objects (e.g. sofas and table legs). And at least these mice were put out of their misery fairly quickly after the "operation". Can't say the same for all those multiple-amputee declawed cats out there.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
ultimuttone
That is truly horrible, and strange in a way that he would have his snakes welfare in mind, but think nothing of maiming the mice. Unfortunately he is not the only one who sees a creatures value only as its place in the food chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
That is a terrible story, but at least he had his snake's welfare in mind. It's completely legal to maim a cat by having it declawed, and this is usually done for the sole purpose of protecting non-living objects (e.g. sofas and table legs). And at least these mice were put out of their misery fairly quickly after the "operation". Can't say the same for all those multiple-amputee declawed cats out there.
You would be amazed how many people (including cat owners) have no idea how the declawing process is done. Apparently most don't even ask before having the procedure done on their own pets. After seeing it done by both options, I could never do it.

Old 12-11-2005, 03:13 PM   #7
weaver
I guess I must be one of the cruel ones. I have all of my cats declawed and I do know how the process is done. The cats are put to sleep, the vet makes a small incision and then pulls the claw out and stitches it back up. I'm sorry if you all think I'm cruel but it benefits everyone involved. The cats don't get yelled at and beaten for scratching up the furniture and in return they get to live a comfy life in a warm house among people who love them. I also look at mice as part of the food chain. I buy frozen mice for my snakes. I don't care how they get frozen, just that they serve the purpose they are intended for, food for my snakes. I buy live crickets for my chameleon and I don't particularly feel sorry for the cricket as it gets eaten. It is intended to be food. I also don't care how they kill the pigs, cows and chickens that I eat. They also serve their purpose. I do think that the boy should feed frozen mice if he's worried about the mice hurting his snakes. I don't feel I'm being cruel to my cats when I have them declawed. I also had my husband neutered and didn't give it a thought about how it might affect him later in life. It was a necessary procedure.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
Jimmy Johnson
cats

I have cats. All indoors and none de-clawed. If you don't want cats to act like cats don't get cats.
They don't just snip the claw they take the first joint also.
The actual procedure doesn't hurt, they are under anesthesia of course, but the next 10 to 14 days are pure hell on them.
If you say they aren't, you are either lying to us or to yourself.
I have seen de-clawed cats limping around with their feet bandaged and they sure as hell aren't happy.
I have actually had both of my "big" toe toenails removed, permanently.
This is not as invasive as de-clawing and I can tell you first hand it is painful.
It takes a few days to get past the pain. Especially if you don't take your pain killers.
If you don't believe it is cruel to de-claw a cat then, well, I can only say IN MY OPINION, you are an idiot.
One of your reasons for de-clawing the cats is so you don't have to beat them. Now that is one hell of a good reason!
Yes, I eat meat and yes I feed my snakes mice, but I can bet you money no one took snips and cut off the cows teeth or hooves before they killed it and I can also guarantee the mice I buy have not had their feet and teeth cut before freezing.

Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 PM   #9
ultimuttone
I have seen it done both by amputating the last joint of the toe and by literally prying and ripping out the nail bed(which is not always successful so usually amputation is done). Both painful recoveries.
I had one cat I considered having rear declawed because she had a skin allergy and would literally rip a hole in the back of her neck scratching and had to be stiched up 3 times. I ended up keeping SoftPaws on her back feet-problem solved. Other than that, I trim my cats nails weekly and live with them scrathing up my office chair
I realize it is a very common procedure, just like cropping ears. But we can't kid ourselves into believing that it is not painful or done for any reason other than owner preference. Their is no real benefit to the animal.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
ghosthousecorns
I am against declawing cats, not only because it causes them pain but because it takes away their ability to defend themselves. Keeping them indoors is no guarantee they won't get out sometime and meet the neighbor's dog. And if you value your furniture that much a cat is the wrong pet for you. Although... puppies chew and destroy things so should they be 'detoothed'? What about small children, they can be destructive! You'd go to jail for 'defingering' them!
My cat has a scratching post, gets her front nails cut with nail clippers and gets squirted with a water bottle if she goes at the couch, but then again I have a kinda cheap couch since material things like furniture don't matter that much to me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google