CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Controversial Topic #3: Replies to "Newbs"

Old 06-01-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Roy Munson
Controversial Topic #3: Replies to "Newbs"

This subject came up enough in Topic #2 to warrant its own topic. Topic #2 seemed more suited to the more experienced members. Hopefully, this one will give the "newbs" a chance to express their opinions, and still allow the more experienced members to explain/defend their positions.

How do you feel about the way questions from new hobbyists are handled here? Do you have complaints, or suggestions for improvement?

This time, I'll resist expressing too many opinions until I feel they need to be expressed.

Edited to Add: This thread isn't about world peace, global warming, cohabitation, or your mother's weight. Feel free to participate, expect whatever, and remember: it's only snakes!

Old 06-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Joker
My opinion of the questions is the same as topic #2. Depends on their willingness to listen. The other day in chat a Newbie to the board was asking me boa questions in chat, but appearantly didnt like what I had to say because of their excuses as to why they couldnt do it. Then I was called a funny name just before they left. So yes I see both sides of the coin as well.

Josh

Old 06-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Billybobob
I personal feel that the way most of the members here handle the "Newbies" questions is just fine. Yes some members are a little short with newbies and could handle them a little nicer but this is a "discussion forum" not a "help all the newbies forum".

Members here have no obligation to ansewer newbies questions nor do we have to spoon feed the newbs the answers that they are looking for.

Allot of newbs think that the members that have been here longer are just being rude because they wont answer there questions and in turn we think it is rude that the newb did not first do a search before asking the question. I have yet to see a newb say thanks to some one that has told them about the search function or the FAQ's, normally they will respond with something like "well if you know the answerer then why not just tell me". But I don't look at all the post.

I feel allot of the problems come up from people not really being able to fully understand where the other side is coming from and that is a problem that we will never be able to fix.

This is just my opinion so if you don't like it I don't care

Old 06-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobob
I personal feel that the way most of the members here handle the "Newbies" questions is just fine. Yes some members are a little short with newbies and could handle them a little nicer but this is a "discussion forum" not a "help all the newbies forum".

Members here have no obligation to ansewer newbies questions nor do we have to spoon feed the newbs the answers that they are looking for.

Allot of newbs think that the members that have been here longer are just being rude because they wont answer there questions and in turn we think it is rude that the newb did not first do a search before asking the question. I have yet to see a newb say thanks to some one that has told them about the search function or the FAQ's, normally they will respond with something like "well if you know the answerer then why not just tell me". But I don't look at all the post.

I feel allot of the problems come up from people not really being able to fully understand where the other side is coming from and that is a problem that we will never be able to fix.

This is just my opinion so if you don't like it I don't care
I'm so glad I resisted expressing my opinions on this. You've done it for me.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
Kitty
I musta' dodged some serious bullets. In retrospect, I asked some questions that had been asked a jillion times before. Responses were quite civil.

I don't recall anyone pointing me toward the FAQ's. But if anyone did and I didn't thank you ( ), I apologize and offer belated "Thanks!"

Old 06-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #6
Billybobob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I'm so glad I resisted expressing my opinions on this. You've done it for me.
Great minds think alike.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Roy Munson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty
I musta' dodged some serious bullets. In retrospect, I asked some questions that had been asked a jillion times before. Responses were quite civil.

I don't recall anyone pointing me toward the FAQ's. But if anyone did and I didn't thank you ( ), I apologize and offer belated "Thanks!"
I'm willing to bet that you asked your questions in a manner that made people take you seriously. It really IS the key (imho).

Old 06-01-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
ghosthousecorns
OK I did post in c.t. # 2 that I was starting to feel weird about giving advice.
I was a newbie once, and have recieved great advice (even as a not so newbie) from the likes of Carol, Taceas, and many more.
I find it easy to see things from the point of view of someone new to the hobby that might not know how to search, asks a commonly asked question wanting to learn something and receives these 'jeez why isn't there a sticky about this?' or 'just do a search' kind of response.
I agree the same old questions can be a drag but today's newbie is hopefully tomorrow's knowledgeable person that can take up the torch and pass what he has learned on to others. Otherwise this site could end up being just 3 or 4 old timers who have said and heard it all. Just don't reply to the newbies if they bug you I guess, but try to remember when you got your first corn and had questions somebody helped you... Otherwise this forum could end up looking like this...
Serpwidgets - nice snake
Corncrazy - yep
Hurley - yep
Susan - yep
J/K of course but hopefully I've made my point
Maybe there should be a tutorial 'how to post on CS' kind of etiquette thread when you first join informing you of the search function etc... just a thought.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #9
Roy Munson
I'll express my own opinion on this sub-topic: hijacking. Many new members don't understand how rude it is to barge into someone else's thread and start demanding personal attention. I can be a little patient and understand that they might not be savvy to the way this kind of discussion board works, but sometimes they get downright snippy when alerted to their egregious breaches of netiquette.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #10
El Jefe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Munson
I'll express my own opinion on this sub-topic: hijacking. Many new members don't understand how rude it is to barge into someone else's thread and start demanding personal attention. I can be a little patient and understand that they might not be savvy to the way this kind of discussion board works, but sometimes they get downright snippy when alerted to their egregious breaches of netiquette.

A+ there! Hijacking the threads to unrelated topics sometimes seems like a new members duty. I love it ( ) when my for sale ads are hijacked with statements like:

I saw you are selling an albino. Man, I wish we had albino corns in Mongolia. One time I saw one in a pet store. They are cool.

And then someone else takes it from there and my for sale ad has turned into a talk about albino corns!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google