CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Controversial Topic #3: Replies to "Newbs"

Old 06-02-2006, 02:53 AM   #31
Taceas
Will it fit in a deli cup? Cause if not, its too fat for me.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:22 AM   #32
lefty_mussolini

Old 06-02-2006, 08:52 AM   #33
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwyatt
There's not much to get. HONEST. The FAQ's are just there to help with basic questions in each section of the forum. These are the questions that get asked over and over. For that reason they've been deemed "Frequently Asked".

There's no special way to "use" them. Think of them as a sort of search function. If you have a question that you're seeking an answer to, first do a search. If that doesn't yield anything, then head to the FAQ's.

Each sub-forum: Husbandry, Health Issues, etc... has the FAQ's stickied at the top of the page. So when you click on the Husbandry sub-forum from the cornsnakes.com main page, the FAQ thread will always be there right at the top. Just scroll through it and see if you're question has already been answered.

If you didn't find it with a search and it's not in the FAQ's, then it should be safe to start your own new thread to ask...BUT if you're still worried about being flamed just do what I always do/did and preface all new threads with the standard
"I did a search on this and couldn't find anything "
Got it, I as a newbie was going to the FAQ section, next to user CP, typing in word or phrase and getting nothing, It was mentioned to me theya re at the top of each section, but since that isn't always the case, I was confused.
However, again I feel bad for asking, as it is so simple nad thank you zwyatt for your answer. susan

Old 06-02-2006, 09:27 AM   #34
PtDnsr
I really do love this one Dean. My biggest pet peeve of newbies* is the lack of grammar and netiquette. I feel bad when you see one of those posts that you can't read and I see that it's someone my age. It gives others bad impressions of me (and those younger than I) in turn. As for the people that don't natively speak English, I do cut them a break. Then again, some of them speak better English than those of us that have been speaking it our entire lives.

Katie

*I say newbies because once you've been around the forums a while it seems that you learn to use proper grammar and netiquette.

Old 06-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #35
MegF.
I try to remain civil and helpful for the most part in my posts to newbies and their questions. That said, I find that it gets more than frustrating to be asked advice and then have it ignored. Dean and I were discussing this the other day (very fun Dean!) and we both agreed it's almost not worth the effort. I want to cringe everytime I see a post about co-habitating, surprise breedings (geez, how did that happen??? I didn't see them holding hands or anything....) and how much my snakes love each other and can't live without the other. They ask if it's o.k. then tell you why they are going to do it anyway. I pretty much just pan thru the forum now. If I see a post that hasn't had any response or only one or two responses and they seem like they've given some thought to the question and it's posting, I'll answer. I enjoy seeing people get into this hobby/obsession, but they have to make me feel like they aren't on here as a joke.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:05 AM   #36
kimbyra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taceas
Will it fit in a deli cup? Cause if not, its too fat for me.
Very, very funny!!!

I agree with most of what has been said here. I definitely see both sides.

The only thing I want to add to what has already been said is that we should be patient with newbies (not saying that I'M not one) because they come here with different levels of experience with internet interactions, and snake keeping - until they are rude or obnoxious of course. Who says that has to be met with complete civility.
Also, age should be taken into consideration. I LOVE it when a 10 year old wants to know how to take care of their new pet, instead of just throwing it a tank and tossing in food! We really shouldn't expect them to post in the same manner as a 25+ year old. They learn eventually.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #37
JM :o)
Well...........I guess I think all of us (read that as specifically ME and some of you, but I don't want to be alone here! LOL!) have forgotten what it's like to BE new at this. It's not easy to learn all this stuff. A lot of the stuff we take for granted as common sense now is completely foreign to a newbie ~ "you mean I SHOULDN'T feed after it throws up? If it were a dog it would DIE if I waited 10 days to feed it!" "And what do all those words and numbers mean? Het, Homo(does that mean what I think it does?) Allele, genotype, 1.0.1 or 0.2.0??" What about that search function? Searching those will bring up a lot of threads (try searching "het" though)~ but very few that DEFINE them (the definitions are there~ but they are hard to find)~ and thats only if they KNOW what they are looking for. Even if they KNOW what it is they are searching for~ that search function sucks. I hate it. I tried looking up a thread I KNEW the name of and had posted in recently~ and I couldn't find it! I finally had to search my own name (the search function will not bring up my user name as it does not have enough letters) and then search for posts made by me to find the thread I wanted to find.

It's frustrating and demoralizing to think your the only idiot in the world that can't take care of "an easy care pet" properly~ they come here asking questions~ we get frustrated and treat them to some condemnation for being an idiot.

I do it too. I get especially frustrated in the feeder section. Half the advice I see handed out there is just wrong~ and I get tired of saying the same thing over and over (at the point where I started to become known as the "how to kill it lady" I stopped answering those questions pretty much all together).

I think we all just need to back up and remember this stuff is fun IF you understand it~ and it's frustrating if you don't. If we know where a thread is that answers all the questions we don't want to answer AGAIN~ would it take anymore effort to post a link to that thread than it does to post a belittling snotty remark?

I'm trying to remember to be less hatefull to those who get on my nerves (it's hard~ but I AM trying!) I think a lot of us should try a little harder at that.

Good luck all you newbies! It's really not all that difficult~ once you start to understand it!

Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #38
ghosthousecorns
[quote=JM )

I think we all just need to back up and remember this stuff is fun IF you understand it~ and it's frustrating if you don't. If we know where a thread is that answers all the questions we don't want to answer AGAIN~ would it take anymore effort to post a link to that thread than it does to post a belittling snotty remark?

[/QUOTE]

Thank you- that pretty much sums up the way I feel. Why even bother replying to a thread if all you want to do is rub the poster's nose in his mistakes like some unhousebroken puppy? I understand everything that has been said so far about the tone, spelling, grammar etc, but I also think nobody is perfect and everybody deserves another chance. Not endless chances, but at least one to learn by.
I know some people don't intend to be belittling and snotty but can sometimes come across that way. You don't know the situation of the person posting, as has been said they could have a developmental disability, be very young, or english could be their second language. I feel like 'who am I to judge?' If people are percieving this site as hostile to newcomers and getting scared away then maybe we are being a tad bit too exclusive. Give people a chance, give them a free mistake or two to learn by before jumping all over their case. Find out their situation, don't assume they are just ignorant. And like Mama said "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #39
Mary-Beth
When I first joined here I read posts for weeks before I ever posted anything myself. I guess it just seems logical to me - I'm searching on the internet for info about my new snakes, I find a place that's filled with info, so I read a lot of info.

If they're looking for the information they need and stumble across this place, why do they then expect us to do the work for them? They were researching to begin with right? It doesn't make sense to me.

I don't mind the "use the search" replies. I'd never been on a forum before (hadn't had a computer for very long) and didn't know anything about the search button. I found out about it by reading someone else's "cn my snks liv 2gether??/" thread.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #40
ArpeggioAngel
[quote=shed'n my skin]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM :o)

[/QUOTE

Thank you- that pretty much sums up the way I feel. Why even bother replying to a thread if all you want to do is rub the poster's nose in his mistakes like some unhousebroken puppy? I understand everything that has been said so far about the tone, spelling, grammar etc, but I also think nobody is perfect and everybody deserves another chance. Not endless chances, but at least one to learn by.
I know some people don't intend to be belittling and snotty but can sometimes come across that way. You don't know the situation of the person posting, as has been said they could have a developmental disability, be very young, or english could be their second language. I feel like 'who am I to judge?' If people are percieving this site as hostile to newcomers and getting scared away then maybe we are being a tad bit too exclusive. Give people a chance, give them a free mistake or two to learn by before jumping all over their case. Find out their situation, don't assume they are just ignorant. And like Mama said "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Thank you Jen and Cheryl for remembering how hard it can be when someone is new to the world of reptiles and for being willing to cut us "newbies" a little slack. For my part, I will always attempt the FAQ's and search function before starting a question post as I would like to think that I am intelligent enough to do the research first. (It also helps that I live with CaptBogart) who has at least a little more experience that I do and I value him as a resource for my endless questions). I don't think I will ever fully understand genetics but since I do not plan on breeding that is one topic I don't have to broach anyways. I will continue to read and hopefully learn about it and it is great to know that there is a group of people available here for me if I ever do have questions about that or any other topic that I can't find the answer for myself. I appreciate everyone on here who has taken the time to make me feel welcome and to answer questions that I do have. This really is a wonderful forum with a wealth of knowledge to be found and the people who participate openly and warmly are the ones to be thanked for that.

Katie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google