CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Corn snakes in the classroom...periodic updates to my Chgo classroom donation :)

Old 11-16-2006, 08:09 PM   #61
Dave123
Im sure they had a blast at the zoo. Thats right If you have a corn snake farm you will need to have mice too, smart thinking by that kid. Is the picture of just your group? Thanks for keeping us updated.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #62
Cegninedorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave123
Im sure they had a blast at the zoo. Thats right If you have a corn snake farm you will need to have mice too, smart thinking by that kid. Is the picture of just your group? Thanks for keeping us updated.
Dave, your age shows you as being only 14. Now, when I was 14, I was quite the lil'academic over-achiever myself, and I loved learning (still do, obviously!). I wasn't a fan of school, but I did quite well for myself, I must say. However, I do know that I would've been intimidated in participating in forums and such, like this one -- in fact, I'm still intimidated because so many people here are so incredibly knowledgeable. Sure, I might know things that those people don't about other areas of life (i.e., how to keep 25 inner-city kids under control without resorting to Ritalin or corporal measures...), but as this is a corn snake forum, those matters don't apply here. But, I guess what I'm getting at is that I'd love to know if you're really 14 & then, to compliment you on your communication skills (I wish the 14-year olds I taught could put two words together & not only spell them right but have them make sense!) and your confidence. Nice job. I'd even give you a sticker, if I could.

So! No, that's not my whole class...one was absent and one was back at school (parent refused permission to go, no biggie) and the others were running around like locos. However, you do see one of the two white kids in my class. (One is Eastern European and the other is plain ol'American...) The rest of my school is demographically 50% Hispanic, about 35% African-American, 10% Asian (everything from Pakistani to Chinese to Filipino...) and 5% Other -- which is where even I fit in, even amongst my colleagues...I love the diversity, though. I have a bright, colorful classroom in every sense of the meaning.

And, as I spent part of my life living amongst farmers in rural central WI, I daresay I shan't be having a farm EVER in my life.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:19 PM   #63
PnyKlr
Do you mind if I asked what the free/reduced lunch percentage of the school is?

Old 11-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #64
chibitamalove
The majority of my middle school was Hispanic, too. Probably almost 75%. At my high school, I'm thinking it's about 50%. Maybe less. It's more balanced out between the ethnicities at my high school.

My Language Arts teacher from last year had a farm. We're in a pretty populated area, and I was amazed that she could even have a farm in Santa Ana. She's got horses, goats, the whole works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cegninedorf
I would've been intimidated in participating in forums and such, like this one -- in fact, I'm still intimidated because so many people here are so incredibly knowledgeable.
I know exactly what you mean. I feel like that all the time.

Quote:
I wish the 14-year olds I taught could put two words together & not only spell them right but have them make sense!
That bugs me so much! I pretty much HAVE to type in complete sentences, becasue otherwise, it nags at me until I retype the sentence with capitalization and everything. Even when I'm IMing someone, I type in complete sentences and with capitalization, because I'm a dork. One of my friends does that too.

Old 11-16-2006, 09:49 PM   #65
Cegninedorf
Quote:
Originally Posted by PnyKlr
Do you mind if I asked what the free/reduced lunch percentage of the school is?
No, not at all...and I'm sure that it's on our school Report Card...something like 99%. All of my students get free lunch except for 2, who pay about quarter-price. And that's the most I've ever collected from kids in my 3 years there now...

Old 11-16-2006, 10:12 PM   #66
Dave123
Yes I really am 14 and it seems that chibitamalove is too. It is a little bit intimidating because I do know that many people on here are very knowledgeable but I just like learning more and more each day, and helping the new pet owners. I did see that most of the students were not white but I thinks thats great that they have people like you out there to give everyone who wants a chance an education. Sometimes I forget how fortunite I am. I'm off to bed now so Ill talk to you all in the morning.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM   #67
PnyKlr
Quote:
No, not at all...and I'm sure that it's on our school Report Card...something like 99%. All of my students get free lunch except for 2, who pay about quarter-price. And that's the most I've ever collected from kids in my 3 years there now...
Wow! A school I worked at two years ago was nearly that high, and parental support was nearly non-existant. There were a few parents and grandparents in each grade who were great advocates of education, but that was the minority.

Now I teach in a town small enough to be called a village, with only 3 black kids in 7th grade and one hispanic girl. Everyone else is white...and a few think that they are "tough" and "gangsta." The sixth grade science teacher and I laugh at them because they wouldn't last 2 seconds in Rockford, let alone where she used to teach (Cabrini Green).

I just wanted to add that your room/school sounds like it has such a great atmosphere!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:58 PM   #68
chibitamalove
Yo G, don't you be makin' fun o' us ganstas, foo'. Fo shizzle. Dayum.

Old 11-17-2006, 02:33 AM   #69
jaxom1957
Quote:
However, you do see one of the two white kids in my class. (One is Eastern European and the other is plain ol'American...) The rest of my school is demographically 50% Hispanic, about 35% African-American, 10% Asian (everything from Pakistani to Chinese to Filipino...) and 5% Other -- which is where even I fit in, even amongst my colleagues...I love the diversity, though.
I'm assuming you meant to say, "one of the two NONHISPANIC white kids", right? As my many Portuguese, Spanish and Mexican relatives would point out, Hispanics are white, too.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 AM   #70
connord94
*sigh* Wish one of MY teachers would bring a corn snake in to school, or heck, any animal would do, British schools are soooo boring. I think the most animal related thing our school has encountered was when my English teacher let one of her older pupils bring their pet rat in.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google