CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

My own little controversial topic... Just how "weird" are we?!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Tula_Montage
My own little controversial topic... Just how "weird" are we?!

The general consensus of people who don't keep, or know much about snakes/reptiles is that snake keepers are "weird". Our animals are yuck, and vomit worthy.

On the net, the snake keeper community is HUGE. I never knew a thing about snakes until just over a year ago - and in that time I have gained so much knowledge and met so many wonderful people.

Yet it has come to my attention that some peoples irrational fear of snakes has manifested into a fear of their keepers as well!? I know I have had many comments made about me being devilish and disgusting for keeping snakes. Hell they call me "snake lady" at work - which obviously I have no problems with. I encourage work pals to question me and find out the reality of my hobby, instead of making mindless assumptions.

I have a few close pals in the hobby in my area - Not many but the few are excellent resources. How many non snake keepers would sit through 6 hours of talking about genetics whilst killing/defrosting rodents and cleaning snake poop? I get glazed eyes from most people as soon as I so much as mention snake!

Just how eccentric are we?! To what extent are we not of the "norm"?

Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #2
Fenderplayer108
I don't know, if someone saw any of us on the street, I don't think we would look like snake keepers. I love talking about the hobby, and telling people that snakes are not SLIMY. (They are shocked when they hear that)

Old 02-12-2007, 08:05 PM   #3
tyflier
My boss and his wife are terrified of snakes. When I first started talking about snakes to them, my boss wouldn't even look at the pictures. I have since gotten his wife to pet 2 out of 3 of my snakes, and my boss encourages me to bring them in to work, as long as they don't interfere with doing my job.

I have had a few people look at me sideways when I tell them that my daughter and I keep snakes. It usually is OK until they find out she is 2 1/2, then they think I am some sort of psycho father that wants my kid to get bit by snakes and be cruel to mice. But usually, a pleasant conversation revolving around the benefits of learning the facts of life and death at such a young age, as well as being well-rounded enough to not needlessly fear animals she doesn't understand will end any doubts they may have.

Of course, the questions ALWAYS come down to "What if she gets bitten?" and my standard answer is "Better a snake than a dog.", and that settles it, though they still probably think I am a little wierd. They can't deny how excited SHE gets when talking about her snakes, though...

Old 02-12-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderplayer108
I don't know, if someone saw any of us on the street, I don't think we would look like snake keepers. I love talking about the hobby, and telling people that snakes are not SLIMY. (They are shocked when they hear that)
Very true... But I think there is a certain look to "some" snake keepers. For example, I attend the Scottish Exotic Animals Society meetings once a month, and most members all have some sort of similar look? I can't pin point it but when you are in a room full of enthusiasts theres an aura

Old 02-12-2007, 08:29 PM   #5
raisingKane
When I tell people that I have snakes, I usually get a response something like "YOU? You have snakes?" accompanied by some nasty grimace. I don't understand it. Some cool people out there respond by "Cool." I like those people.

I don't think owning a snake is weird or devilish. A few of my Christian friends think it's pretty cool. But some do look down on me for it.

Some people are irrationally afraid of people who wear black clothes or have ten chains around their oversized black pants. It's nothing more than a stereotype. The same applies to snake-keepers. It's easy to put people in boxes or categories. Due to the most unfortunate event in the garden of eden, snakes and the people who love them got placed in society's evil box.

However, I believe that all is not lost. One day, snake moms and snake dads will be free from the typical stereotype!! And we shall free the gothic emo teenagers as well!! Liberation is nigh!! Good people like you all and several others I know that continue to educate their friends and family will eventually bring us back from the fringes of society.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Roy Munson
Rarely do I make the mistake of talking about the hobby to those who don't know me very well. But sometimes a friend or close business associate will bring it up in mixed company just to watch me squirm around. Most snake-haters can't be converted, so I don't even try. But I don't come into contact with too many of those. A lot of people seem to think it's pretty cool, and at that point the friend or associate who got me into the conversation in the first place will ask me how many I own. When I'm forced to answer, I'm usually regarded as insane afterward.

Sometimes I'll tell people that there is money to be made in this hobby. This is a half-truth at best, but many people seem to find it immediately acceptable if there's profit potential.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #7
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisingKane
When I tell people that I have snakes, I usually get a response something like "YOU? You have snakes?" accompanied by some nasty grimace. I don't understand it. Some cool people out there respond by "Cool." I like those people.

I don't think owning a snake is weird or devilish. A few of my Christian friends think it's pretty cool. But some do look down on me for it.

Some people are irrationally afraid of people who wear black clothes or have ten chains around their oversized black pants. It's nothing more than a stereotype. The same applies to snake-keepers. It's easy to put people in boxes or categories. Due to the most unfortunate event in the garden of eden, snakes and the people who love them got placed in society's evil box.

However, I believe that all is not lost. One day, snake moms and snake dads will be free from the typical stereotype!! And we shall free the gothic emo teenagers as well!! Liberation is nigh!! Good people like you all and several others I know that continue to educate their friends and family will eventually bring us back from the fringes of society.
I liked your answer...

However thats a big can of worms thats been opened - Christian rejection of snakes will probably always stick. My mother is devout and HATES snakes for that reason. Although she has never been face to face with one she refuses to face up to the fact that its completely irrelevant. Snakes as creatures IMO don't deserve to be symbolised as the epitome of evil - no matter how significant it is to religious culture. But each to his own and EVERYONE has the right to their own opinion.

Of course there are many religious people who do keep snakes - and don't associate them with that kind of ancient symbolisation

Old 02-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
tyflier
Tula, you change your avatar FAR too often. Just when I think I can figure out whose "talking", you go and change your avatar, and confuse me all to heck and gone...

Old 02-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyflier
Tula, you change your avatar FAR too often. Just when I think I can figure out whose "talking", you go and change your avatar, and confuse me all to heck and gone...
Sorry :-p I just love the advantages of a bigger avatar size... Means I can get creative Bad me is playing in fireworks making another right now

Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #10
SPJ
People are nervous of me without even having to let them know I keep multiple snakes.

I don't get it.

I'm really a pleasent person as you can see from this picture of me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google