• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

My own little controversial topic... Just how "weird" are we?!

well, a pet fishtank WOULD be sort of odd.... fishtanks don't really do anything except sit there. :p

lol, i figure everyone is weird in some way- and the very few that aren't? well they're weird for not being at least slightly weird.

tyflier said:
I used to have a pet rock as a kid...does that count? :grin01: :grin01:

Sure because I still have one :)

rock.jpg

Soo lets see YOURS!

I'm 33 like no love rap music, motorcycles, soccer, WOW(computer game) an snakes. I have some tats and have had a few piercings but I don't think I'm strange. Now my grandma just thinks I'm wrong because of the snakes and everyone thinks my son will be a freak because of my hobbies. I have been into fish tanks for 20 years and would have a snake or fish over a big (or little dog) any day. As far as spiders go you can keep those devil bugs to yourself.

You never realize how long a thread is until you start at the beginning and start looking for what your posted. Then you think you're crazy because you can't find what you posted where your thought you posted it. :crazy02:

I find people in my neck of the woods don't really care for snakes because the Bible mentions that Satan took the form of a serpent but then the TN area where my husband is from has Christians that have church services with hot snakes. Go figure. It's all how they are raised. It is not a fear based on religon but fear based on preceptions.

As for those who have snakes and are afraid of spiders. Well, I leave them alone as long as they leave me alone. My husband always wants to call the exterminator in the Spring to spray the house. I have always managed to talk him out of it. We have a nice colony of anoles growing around the house, some wild snakes (Copperheads, we catch and release elsewhere and rat) along with spiders. They do pretty good keeping the roaches and waterbugs down; which, by the way, are the only bugs I will kill.

This thread's so long I didn't even finish reading it, but I've got to say one thing.

People are born with 2 fears, snakes and heights (that's scientific fact!!). I think all us people who have loved snakes since we were 5 are a little "weird", as in not the way most people are. We just have a special extra something that no one else has. We're NOT afraid.

So is anyone NOT scared of heights here?

I love rock climbing, and that time I went parasailing 300 feet above Florida's waters I was having the time of my life, so I think I'm extra "weird". I don't have either of those fears. Well, I am a little scared of REALLY high places. I'm not sure I could go sky diving.

Okay, one more thing. We're incredably normal. Have you seen the variety of things people here like and dislike? We're just like any other group of people, people just think we're weirder. :grin01:

tbtusk said:
I don't mind heights at all. I love flying and I used to love going hiking and rock climbing. I've even stood on the top of a sky scraper and stared avidly down at all the little 'ants' running back and forth across the street.

On the other hand I have a huge fear of falling. The thought of an endless fall through space or sky terrifies me to no end. The only thing I fear more then falling itself, would be the sudden stop at the end of a long drop.

So no, I didn't do well jumping off the high dive at the local pool during summer as a kid. lol. And I see absolutely no reason to jump out of a perfectly safe, and fully functional airplane!

Yet I used to willingly run across the top of an eight foot high cinderblock wall without any hesitation when I was younger. The stupid things we do as children! :shrugs:

Jenn

tbtusk said:

i actually love heights. as a kid i always used to dream about flying, almost every night.
I love jumping off the 5 and 7 meter diving boards(the 10 is AWESOME-mostly. i find the smack at the end just a liiittle too much)
i also love planes, and tall, tall buildings.

Interesting, isn't it? We're not afraid of snakes and we're not afraid of hights either. We just weren't born with any natural fears.

Oh, well I guess that's right.

But I don't see any problem with that, and if there is, we make up for it by understanding that snakes can be such great pets. Every person with a fear of snakes is one less person who wants a pet snake, and there for, one more snake for us!! We're the lucky ones that actually understand.

I love flying. I don't mind heights but am afraid of falling, elevator music and wearing fuzzy slippers sitting in a rocking chair when I'm fifty. Oh, yeah, right, I'm 56 so make that when I'm 66. Since I got these snakes my husband thinks I weird because I watch as many shows as I can on TV about snakes. It was funny the other day a movie (sci-fi) showed a snake and said it was a king when in fact it was an Austrialian Black-head boa. :crazy02:

How could they!! I think you need to start your on tv show, or at least call them up and tell the producers just how wrong they are. Or hate mail would be good!! :grin01: I'll send a few. lol

Well, to tell the truth, I would have known it was not a king because of the shape of the head and markings; but, I only knew it was a Black headed Boa because I just read an article about the in "Reptiles". I'm still learning my snakes.

Back