• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Culling 'side product' hatchlings

Culling hatchlings:

• is a responsible thing to do when they are deformed/weak and have no chance of a decent life

Votes: 155 74.5%
  • 1 + when they are 'side products' and end up in pet shops, overflowing the market

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • 1 + when hybrid hatchlings can be mistaken for pure, threatening the mass market with their genes

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • 1 + 2 + 3

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • is ok when..... (see my post)

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • is never a good thing to do, even a deformed/week hatchling should only die by its defect

Votes: 13 6.3%

• Total voters
Yes, I agree that there are A LOT of things I think are rational and not immoral or unethical, but that I would not do myself because either I just don't like it or don't feel quite right about it. Not just to do with herps, but lots of things in life.

That means I would not judge others harshly for doing many things that I would not feel comfortable doing myself. I don't feel there is anything inherently wrong with what they are doing (in certain cases - there are limits!) - but just wouldn't choose it for myself.

tyflier said:
I think a HUGE barrier that is difficult to cross in discussions of this nature is human emotional connection.

We love snakes, therefore it is nearly impossible to view them in a light that holds no bias towards them and our desires for them to be healthy and beautiful creatures that are well loved and appreciated.

I wonder how many breeders have shed tears over a little cutie that just wasn't going to make it, and needed to be put down? I also wonder how many poeple get into breeding without ever considering the probability that they will, eventually, need to euthanize some of their offspring? How many people get into breeding thinking, "Oh...this is amazing, i get to raise these beautiful little creatures, get them started, and healthy, and pass them along to a loving home where they will be loved and respected.", only to find out that some of the offspring won't survive, and a good number of those that DO survive, may end up dying horrible deaths because of lack of appropriate knowledge and care on the part of the pet purchaser?

I think if you can seperate the love and emotional attachment we feel with the little hatchlings as they pip and take their first breaths of unencumbered air, it is far easier to understand the rational thought processes that many people put into making the decisions of which animals will thrive and be sold and which will be euthanized...for WHATEVER reasons...
Breeding animals can be tough and you do have to remove the emotional barrier and do what is necessary. I'm heart broken when I loose a snake, but I do occasionally cull. I also do produce baby kingsnakes (because I like kings not for the purpose of eating "extras"). Some of those baby kings insist on getting started on other snakes. If I have a few stubborn baby kings to feed and I have no more deformed hatchlings in the freezer, I would feed them a healthy hatchling. When I choose those hatchlings, obviously I choose ones that do not suit my breeding plans. I don't see the difference in going over an selecting a mouse from my fancy colony or going over to select a corn. Except that the kings won't eat the mouse. So do I let a corn live and a king die or vice versa? Either way an animal will be lost and I will feel really bad.

What gets me through that emotional barrier? I like mice and I LOVE my hamsters. I seem to be able to be detached when I feed f/t that come from someone else. However, when feeding off mice that I have raised it's a battle each week to thin them off. I find watching the mice and hamsters more amusing than the T.V. sometimes and I know each colony's social order and family history. I'll literally select a mouse for feeding off and think, "this is a grandson of 'ol patch". It's all I can bear to put them in the "waiting bin" and from there thankfully my husband takes care of putting them in the chamber and then feeding them to the snakes. I can't even watch. I'm even worse with the hammies, how on earth do you feed of something that willingly jumps into your hand and wants to interact with you? But alas, every year I produce some hatchlings that just require to be started on hamster pinks. So do I let the hamsters die and the corns live or vise versa? I don't like either scenario.

When you keep and breed long enough, life and death is a weekly occurrence. Death is never pleasent but it is necessary. Either one animal dies to feed another or the other dies because it has no food. If my kingsnake needs food it doesn't matter if I feed it an corn, mouse, chick, lizard, etc. Either way something dies to feed it. I find it interesting how most people can read the list "mouse, chick, lizard" and not bat an eye, yet add "corn" to the list and suddenly it's horrifying. To me, the entire list bums me out. I like mice, chicks, lizards, and corns. So the fact that I occasionally feed off corns does not mean I am callous, it means I hate to see anything die so it's just as sad for me to feed off a mouse as a corn but it has to be done or something else will go hungry.

carol said:
Breeding animals can be tough and you do have to remove the emotional barrier and do what is necessary. I'm heart broken when I loose a snake, but I do occasionally cull. I also do produce baby kingsnakes (because I like kings not for the purpose of eating "extras"). Some of those baby kings insist on getting started on other snakes. If I have a few stubborn baby kings to feed and I have no more deformed hatchlings in the freezer, I would feed them a healthy hatchling. When I choose those hatchlings, obviously I choose ones that do not suit my breeding plans. I don't see the difference in going over an selecting a mouse from my fancy colony or going over to select a corn. Except that the kings won't eat the mouse. So do I let a corn live and a king die or vice versa? Either way an animal will be lost and I will feel really bad.

What gets me through that emotional barrier? I like mice and I LOVE my hamsters. I seem to be able to be detached when I feed f/t that come from someone else. However, when feeding off mice that I have raised it's a battle each week to thin them off. I find watching the mice and hamsters more amusing than the T.V. sometimes and I know each colony's social order and family history. I'll literally select a mouse for feeding off and think, "this is a grandson of 'ol patch". It's all I can bear to put them in the "waiting bin" and from there thankfully my husband takes care of putting them in the chamber and then feeding them to the snakes. I can't even watch. I'm even worse with the hammies, how on earth do you feed of something that willingly jumps into your hand and wants to interact with you? But alas, every year I produce some hatchlings that just require to be started on hamster pinks. So do I let the hamsters die and the corns live or vise versa? I don't like either scenario.

When you keep and breed long enough, life and death is a weekly occurrence. Death is never pleasent but it is necessary. Either one animal dies to feed another or the other dies because it has no food. If my kingsnake needs food it doesn't matter if I feed it an corn, mouse, chick, lizard, etc. Either way something dies to feed it. I find it interesting how most people can read the list "mouse, chick, lizard" and not bat an eye, yet add "corn" to the list and suddenly it's horrifying. To me, the entire list bums me out. I like mice, chicks, lizards, and corns. So the fact that I occasionally feed off corns does not mean I am callous, it means I hate to see anything die so it's just as sad for me to feed off a mouse as a corn but it has to be done or something else will go hungry.

Sigh.... who said the kind of animal matters? Certainly not me, nor anyone else I think! Did I say one should not feed corns to snakes but mice only? No! Do I feel bad feeing my snakes what they need? No! Would I feel bad breeding my bairdi to my yellow ratsnake, kill most of the hatchlings (or give them to my friends with a beardie) and keep only 2 I like cause I know the others will end up in a pets shop and probably die of neglect? Yes!

I think 2 people got what I am saying, 1 agrees with me, 1 does not.... others just seem to be running another discussion with me then I do...

I am not discussing the differences in feeding corns or mice to kings or other reptiles. My opinion/statement is; it is not respectful towards nature/animals to purposely produce any animal you do not tend to sell or feed to other animals, but which you plan to kill, to reach a random goal in breeding that does not even benefit the species.[/COLOR]

kathylove said:
Yes, I agree that there are A LOT of things I think are rational and not immoral or unethical, but that I would not do myself because either I just don't like it or don't feel quite right about it. Not just to do with herps, but lots of things in life.

That means I would not judge others harshly for doing many things that I would not feel comfortable doing myself. I don't feel there is anything inherently wrong with what they are doing (in certain cases - there are limits!) - but just wouldn't choose it for myself.

You think I judge people that do not agree with me harshly? Just for the recond, I don't... I judge their actions, not the persons but some seem to feel that way. And I do use the word 'judge' since this is not about what is practical or wise to do, but it is about ethics. I think when discussing ethics, if someone does things that do not stroke with your ethics, judging these actions is the logical reaction. Ethics IS about what you think is right or wrong, not about practical stuff.... so how can one not judge what one sees as unethical? And if someone I know does many things that do not stroke with my ethics, or some that are really far away from being ethcial IMO, sooner or later that person will also be judged by me and be erased from my addressbook...

I do understand what you are saying and I'm trying to explain that it's not always as black and white as you want to see it. Now that you've read the last post and know how I feel about feeding anything off I'll tell you this...

Yes, I do make some pairings that will only produce a handful of keepers and the others will be hard to place. However on the other hand when I decide to make these pairings I do so with the expectation of my kings being in need of food. Just as with my mice. I make pairings to create certian genetics, keep one or two then feed off the rest to fufill a need. That doesn't mean that I got kings to excuse overbreeding.

carol said:
I do understand what you are saying and I'm trying to explain that it's not always as black and white as you want to see it. Now that you've read the last post and know how I feel about feeding anything off I'll tell you this...

Yes, I do make some pairings that will only produce a handful of keepers and the others will be hard to place. However on the other hand when I decide to make these pairings I do so with the expectation of my kings being in need of food. Just as with my mice. I make pairings to create certian genetics, keep one or two then feed off the rest to fufill a need. That doesn't mean that I got kings to excuse overbreeding.

If you keep your kings in all sincerity because you like them and not to be able to run certain corn beeding projects, that is fine with me.

Would you make these pairings if you had to put the hatchlings down?

Blutengel--

I don't think Carol's response was directly aimed at you, or intended to "dissuade" you in any way. I think it was merely a clarification on her part, and an attempt to shed more light on the decision-making process.

What I got from Carol's response was not an argument for or against culling, just a display to the question of ethics...their are at least 3 sides to every situation, and she was merely giving us insight into what HER thought process is when making such hard decisions.

The bottom line is...for anyone that loves animals, the situation of humane euthanization(euthanation? what IS that word?) and carnivorous feeding is typically a moral dilemma that one needs to wrestle with. Dependant upon how "deeply" one is involved with their chosen hobby of pet keeping or breeding, that decision gets easier to make. It becomes a rational thought process rather than an emotionally turmoiled decision. One must die so the other may live sort of situation. In that way, the emotional attachment can be "delayed", as it were, and the necessary job at hand can be completed, whether it be culling for food, culling for health reasons, culling for "other" reasons, or "putting down" a pet. The person making these decisions in a rational, emotionless manner is often viewed as careless, cold, and cruel. But the reality is...it hurts that person(usually) to perform such tasks, and death is NEVER pretty...but it is a necessary means to an end, and needs to be dealt with in as detached a manner as possible.

It's akin to comparing a rookie Beat Cop to a seasoned Homicide Detective at the rookie's first murder/suicide scene. While the seasoned vet takes in all accounts as facts with no visible emotional attachment and is seen as cold and calculating, the rookie is vomiting in the corner, and emotionally distressed over the horror of the scene. Neither one will leave that situation unchanged...it's impossible to do so. But the veteran is able to deal with the facts of the case as a seperate matter from the emotions of the situation...and the rookie will learn to do the same.

Does that make any sense to anyone other than me??

At this point...I think this topic is no longer a "debate" and is merely a discussion. We have all realized and understand the "other" points of view, and we have all been able to respect and respond to those opinions. I don't think any of us is going to change anyone else's mind on the matter, so debating in an effort to "prove a point" is no longer needed. We can all agree to disagree respectfully. The points have been made, and the opinions understood. But discussing the topic in a rational manner amongst oursleves...our thought processes, how and why we make the decisions that we do...this can only help to understand ourselves more, as well as(hopefully) help to prepare others that may be considering breeding to more reasonably and informedly make that decision.

tyflier said:
Blutengel--

I don't think Carol's response was directly aimed at you, or intended to "dissuade" you in any way. I think it was merely a clarification on her part, and an attempt to shed more light on the decision-making process.

What I got from Carol's response was not an argument for or against culling, just a display to the question of ethics...their are at least 3 sides to every situation, and she was merely giving us insight into what HER thought process is when making such hard decisions.

The bottom line is...for anyone that loves animals, the situation of humane euthanization(euthanation? what IS that word?) and carnivorous feeding is typically a moral dilemma that one needs to wrestle with. Dependant upon how "deeply" one is involved with their chosen hobby of pet keeping or breeding, that decision gets easier to make. It becomes a rational thought process rather than an emotionally turmoiled decision. One must die so the other may live sort of situation. In that way, the emotional attachment can be "delayed", as it were, and the necessary job at hand can be completed, whether it be culling for food, culling for health reasons, culling for "other" reasons, or "putting down" a pet. The person making these decisions in a rational, emotionless manner is often viewed as careless, cold, and cruel. But the reality is...it hurts that person(usually) to perform such tasks, and death is NEVER pretty...but it is a necessary means to an end, and needs to be dealt with in as detached a manner as possible.

It's akin to comparing a rookie Beat Cop to a seasoned Homicide Detective at the rookie's first murder/suicide scene. While the seasoned vet takes in all accounts as facts with no visible emotional attachment and is seen as cold and calculating, the rookie is vomiting in the corner, and emotionally distressed over the horror of the scene. Neither one will leave that situation unchanged...it's impossible to do so. But the veteran is able to deal with the facts of the case as a seperate matter from the emotions of the situation...and the rookie will learn to do the same.

Does that make any sense to anyone other than me??

At this point...I think this topic is no longer a "debate" and is merely a discussion. We have all realized and understand the "other" points of view, and we have all been able to respect and respond to those opinions. I don't think any of us is going to change anyone else's mind on the matter, so debating in an effort to "prove a point" is no longer needed. We can all agree to disagree respectfully. The points have been made, and the opinions understood. But discussing the topic in a rational manner amongst oursleves...our thought processes, how and why we make the decisions that we do...this can only help to understand ourselves more, as well as(hopefully) help to prepare others that may be considering breeding to more reasonably and informedly make that decision.

Leaving out emotions to be able to reach a breeding goal (I know, that is a harsh shortcut) does not seem right to me, leaving out emotions to be able to help find out who killed someone, is totally different for me.

I do think it is a good idea to let this thread as it is now indeed. Thank all for your input and respecful postings, I am proud of you all :grin01: :rolleyes:

Blutengel said:
If you keep your kings in all sincerity because you like them and not to be able to run certain corn beeding projects, that is fine with me.

Would you make these pairings if you had to put the hatchlings down?
Except, I don't get this statement...

It seems that, in your opinion, the reason for owning the kings is what makes the process ethical or not, and I don't agree with that. The kings are there, for whatever reason. It doesn't change the ethics behind breeding projects and "side effect" offspring. Buying the kings to have a feeding outlet is another rational decision in the equation, IMO. IMO, it doesn't matter if the kings were bought because they are cool snakes to own, or because they are capable of eating any necessary culls.

Do I like my kings because they eat anything and everything I give them? That's PART of why I like my kings. I like my kings for a vast number of reasons...they look cool, they ARE cool, they are incredible feeders with an aggressive feeding response(no, I'm not twisted, but I do appreciate and aggressive feeding response), they come in an amazing variety of species and colors, and they are typically confident enough to be "viewable" more often than my corns. And to be honest, I purchased them for ALL of those reasons and more. What is unethical about that? Why would you consider it "unethical" simply to exploit their aggressive feeding response for my own ends?

tyflier said:
Except, I don't get this statement...

It seems that, in your opinion, the reason for owning the kings is what makes the process ethical or not, and I don't agree with that. The kings are there, for whatever reason. It doesn't change the ethics behind breeding projects and "side effect" offspring. Buying the kings to have a feeding outlet is another rational decision in the equation, IMO. IMO, it doesn't matter if the kings were bought because they are cool snakes to own, or because they are capable of eating any necessary culls.

Do I like my kings because they eat anything and everything I give them? That's PART of why I like my kings. I like my kings for a vast number of reasons...they look cool, they ARE cool, they are incredible feeders with an aggressive feeding response(no, I'm not twisted, but I do appreciate and aggressive feeding response), they come in an amazing variety of species and colors, and they are typically confident enough to be "viewable" more often than my corns. And to be honest, I purchased them for ALL of those reasons and more. What is unethical about that? Why would you consider it "unethical" simply to exploit their aggressive feeding response for my own ends?

Somehow I draw the line as you explained indeed. It might be because of my emotionally (maybe even spiritually) driven respect for life, but so be it. I do not feel it is a good thing to learn to set aside this emotionally driven respect. At my place animals get killed if they are bred to be fed, are weak or deformed or somehow unintentionally got redundant (e.g. can unexpectedly not be sold to a decent keeper or pet shop and I cannot handle the numbers).

I'm still curious; you have not answered my question yet about me wanting to breed my bairdi to my yellow rat snake? Would you really think it is completely ethical to breed them, kill most of the baby's (cause they are really hard to sell to anything but an ordinary pet shop or whole saler) and only keep the best looking couple to see if they look good and if I can breed a line of hybrids people like? This really does not feel good to me, even if I would feed the hatchlings to my beloved king. To me it feels like a natural burden to do so. Even thinking of it honestly makes me feel a horrible person. And I do not want to loose this burden...

Ty - Chris - I hope I can clear this up a bit, but I fear it may be hopeless (not directed to you specifically). Nonetheless:

Let us say you are in the habit, be it hobby, business, or whatnot, of encouraging creatures to reproduce. Presumably, you do this for a reason. Maybe the reason is that they are a staple food source for something else that you have, or that other people have. Maybe you hope to make money. Maybe you want to be considered cool by other people; it doesn't matter. What matters is that your goal provides some fulfillment to those involved, or at least does not harm them. Raising mice in a good environment is a fine thing; the mice benefit. The babies are needed for your purpose, so you feel a pang of sadness at their early demise - not their demise, but the fact that they have enjoyed none of the life they may have had - but you realize that they are themselves helping others (their predators), so you are doing what you have to do.

Now let's say you are creating creatures with a mind towards taking the best ones and killing the rest. The purpose, your purpose, in accordance with your ethics, of creating these creatures is to kill them. What you do with them after that decision is irrelevant. You are not creating a little ecosystem: you are creating a death factory, and perhaps others are benefiting from this but that is not pertinent to your true plan. Your intention behind your actions is what matters for ethical considerations, and if your intention in a breeding plan is to weed out what you don't like, then your ethics are found to be wanting.

There is a fine line here that cannot be determined from the outside; people who lie about their motives get away scott-free unless they are outed as liars in some other way. But, as far as ethics go, it is an important line nonetheless.

:cheers:
-Sean

Eremita said:
Ty - Chris - I hope I can clear this up a bit, but I fear it may be hopeless (not directed to you specifically). Nonetheless:

Let us say you are in the habit, be it hobby, business, or whatnot, of encouraging creatures to reproduce. Presumably, you do this for a reason. Maybe the reason is that they are a staple food source for something else that you have, or that other people have. Maybe you hope to make money. Maybe you want to be considered cool by other people; it doesn't matter. What matters is that your goal provides some fulfillment to those involved, or at least does not harm them. Raising mice in a good environment is a fine thing; the mice benefit. The babies are needed for your purpose, so you feel a pang of sadness at their early demise - not their demise, but the fact that they have enjoyed none of the life they may have had - but you realize that they are themselves helping others (their predators), so you are doing what you have to do.

Now let's say you are creating creatures with a mind towards taking the best ones and killing the rest. The purpose, your purpose, in accordance with your ethics, of creating these creatures is to kill them. What you do with them after that decision is irrelevant. You are not creating a little ecosystem: you are creating a death factory, and perhaps others are benefiting from this but that is not pertinent to your true plan. Your intention behind your actions is what matters for ethical considerations, and if your intention in a breeding plan is to weed out what you don't like, then your ethics are found to be wanting.

There is a fine line here that cannot be determined from the outside; people who lie about their motives get away scott-free unless they are outed as liars in some other way. But, as far as ethics go, it is an important line nonetheless.

-Sean

Thank you so much for telling this in a way anybody can get, so they can really decide if they agree with it. This is 100% what I mean!

Honestly, I would have no problem if you decided to perform that particular hybrid experiment...with some considerations...

You've heard the phrase "If you want to make an omelette, you need to break some eggs", I'm sure. So...has this cross been done, that you are aware of? Do you feel as though a cross of this nature could very well produce saleable offspring that would have a "niche" in the marketplace? Do you feel justified in performing the cross, hoping that the offspring may be desireable enough to hold value for other keepers besides yourself?

If you answered "yes" to question number one...than no...it would not be ethical to perform the experiement only to have one or two of the offspring for yourself. Responsability would dictate that you locate someone that has already done the experiment and would have offspring you could purchase.

However, if you answered "No" to number one, and "yes" to the rest of the questions, than I absolutely would feel you are justified in performing the experiment to see precisely what the results would be.

The fact is...someone has to be the first person to create a hybrid. Not all hybrids are going to produce desireable offspring. If you perform this experiment, and find that the offspring are NOT saleable either because they resemble purebloods too much, or are otherwise undesireable or unhealthy, I would not fault you for trying and experimenting. I would think in that situation, IF it hasn't been done before, the question would justify the actions. If it is an answer worth having, you have to be willing to make certain sacrifices to find it. IMO, this would be justifiable. But...that is just MY opinion...

I'm a newbie and I'm coming in on the tail end of this discussion, but I have really enjoyed reading the posts in this thread. I am on the fence when it comes to culling for aesthetics and conformity, but I completely agree with culling weak/nonfeeding/sick/deformed/etc. I also like the idea of feeding these specimens to the stronger animals rather than simply disposing of them. Kind of like simulating natural selection (an oxymoron, I know...just go with it). I breed small exotic birds and let me tell you...the debates are NOT this friendly when the subjects are warm blooded. I tend to be on the culling side there too (although I haven't had to do it yet)...not a popular side to be on! But here's how I sum it up: when we breed animals, we are putting ourselves into a "god" role by essentially creating life and taking nature out of the equation. If natural selection isn't going to have a chance to cull the weak/nonfeeding/sick/deformed/etc. (which it inevitably would), then it is our responsibility to step in. If we can't deal with the issue of death reasonably, then we have no business creating life.

"The fact is...someone has to be the first person to create a hybrid."

No, it is not necesary to create a hybrid or better looking animal to begin with.

Eremita said:

-Sean
I completely understand what you're saying.

Let's define this statement though, because I feel there are more "lines" than one, and the definition is important:

Now let's say you are creating creatures with a mind towards taking the best ones and killing the rest. The purpose, your purpose, in accordance with your ethics, of creating these creatures is to kill them.

What am I trying to create, and what is the definition of "best"? I think those are important distinctions that should be made. Am I creating an entirely new hybrid with the hopes that the offspring will be desireable and saleable, such as my above reposne to Blutengel? Am I breeding an existing morph just so I can have a couple for myself? Am I line-breeding for a "locality look"? Am I breeding a known hybrid and culling only pure-looking offspring?

To be honest...if I am breeding hybrids, than I feel that there does need to be some sort of control over which animals are sellable to the general public, and this criteria *should* use appearance and physical traits as an impacting factor. Also...if I am attempting to put together a NEW hybrid that has never been seen(again, reference my above reply), and the idea is to produce desireable offspring, but the offspring are not sellable for whatever reason, than the justification is in the question...I am seeking the answer to a genetics equation, and the answer may not be what was expected...it's a justifiable loss...once.

But if I am line-breeding Okeetees, I need to be sure I have an outlet for the "lesser" offspring such as a pet store or pet keeper. If I am breeding for a specific morph, I need to be sure that I have an outlet for the offspring that I don't want to keep for myself, or I am being irresponsible.

In other words, the only time I can "condone" the culling of healthy animals is for food, or to protect pureblood from being "polluted" from pure-looking hybrids. I DO believe that culling of pure-looking hybrid offspring is ONE possible solution to the ethical question of hybrids. I am sure there are others, and should I decide to ever breed hybrids, I will certainly TRY to find a different way to deal with pure-looking offspring. However, I do believe it is better to cull pure-looking offspring than it is to allow them to be sold and possibly be bred as purebloods in the future. It is the lesser of two evils, in this instance, and my opinion. Is there a better way to protect the bloodlines? Possibly...but I can't come up with one off the top of my head.

You may wonder how I differentiate these examples, and I will try to explain.

If I am breeding for a specific morph, or I am line-breeding for a specific look, there is no doubt BEFORE BREEDING BEGINS that I will DEFINITELY produce offspring that will not look exactly as I want them to. It is also GUARANTEED that I will produce more offspring than I am capable of keeping for myself. Responsibility dictates that I have an outlet for those offspring(NOT culling), before I begin breeding.

If I am breeding hybrids...even known hybrids...there is only a small CHANCE that I will produce pure-looking offspring, and it is a slim chance at that. Should the pairing produce 1 or 2 pure looking offspring, through no fault of my own, I feel that culling those are a responsible action to protect the bloodlines from possibly being contaminated either through ignorance or dishonesty.

Now, you may say, "Than simply don't breed hybrids, and you don't have that chance.", and I agree with you. But hybrids are a viable market, a desireable product, and viable animals. I see no reason why they should be "shunned" because they are unnatural, and I see no reason why the possibility of a very small percentage of the offspring being culled should prevent me from breeding them, just as I don't allow the chance of unhealthy offspring prevent me from breeding purebloods.

Blutengel said:
"The fact is...someone has to be the first person to create a hybrid."

No, it is not necesary to create a hybrid or better looking animal to begin with.
Science would disagree with you, and I see no reason why the science of snake genetics should not follow suit. The object of scientific discovery is to improve upon the old or create something new, and I see no reason whatsoever why we, as laymen scientists in the genetics field of reptile biology, should be prevented from or feel guilty about our attempts to follow those same principles.

Blutengel said:
I'm still curious; you have not answered my question yet about me wanting to breed my bairdi to my yellow rat snake? Would you really think it is completely ethical to breed them, kill most of the baby's (cause they are really hard to sell to anything but an ordinary pet shop or whole saler) and only keep the best looking couple to see if they look good and if I can breed a line of hybrids people like? This really does not feel good to me, even if I would feed the hatchlings to my beloved king. To me it feels like a natural burden to do so. Even thinking of it honestly makes me feel a horrible person. And I do not want to loose this burden...
Actually, I think this brings up a whole new aspect of the discussion for me. I wouldn't want to subject one of my breeder females of any snake species, most of which I've raised since they were hatchlings, to the real and perilous risks of breeding for little return (e.g., creating feeder animals). There are emotional and rational components to this opinion.

Is it ethical to subject ANY of our female snakes to the potentially fatal risks of breeding for ANY reason? If they were endangered, and we were breeding to replenish the species for re-introduction into their former habitats, there would be an argument. That's not the case with most of the colubrids we're discussing, and it's certainly not the case with corns. You buy a snake, and it relies on you and you alone for its well-being. Are you betraying that responsibility every time you allow a female to be bred? Maybe it kills her, and maybe it doesn't.

I've said this myself on this forum: "Cohabitation is a benefit to the breeder alone; there is no benefit to the snake". But what benefit does breeding offer a snake? Somebody PM Duff and tell him I've caught myself in a contradiction ( :grin01: ). But seriously, I'm only contradicting myself if I claim that my snakes' welfare is my highest priority while I'm willing to breed the females.

Well, Dean...now you've gone and brought an entirely new aspect to the question...NOW I gotta start thinking...;).

Actually, I think breeding our snakes DOES benefit them in that it allows them to fulfill their natural instincts and desires to pass along there genes and propogate the species. Granted, it is not in a natural setting, and discussing ANYTHING regarding "nature" in a non-natural environment is iffy, at best. But I believe the instincts to breed and procreate are very much alive and well, no matter HOW long our snakes have been held captive, and I feel that allowing them to breed, even though it is ultimately greed and selfishness that leads to the decision, DOES fulfill a natural desire in the snakes...even if we are "tricking" them into creating hybrids...it still satisfies that desire...

Is it a "fair trade", if the female dies? I can't answer that question for anyone other than myself. But to me, the potential rewards FAR outweigh the potential risks...

:sobstory: :sobstory: this is going nowhere I think the point was made posts ago . You aint gona change a animal rights activeist mind untill the world as we know it crumbles and it is every person fo themselfs and watch them kill animals to live. Or put them is a place that they wiil kill anything to surive, what will they kill to eat. This world is not fair get over it some are lucky and some are not and you cant change it.

Back