CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

They like each other

Old 02-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #71
Taryn7
I meant to say I want to know which is pooping

Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #72
Tula_Montage
Classic signs of young corns stressed and fighting for dominance is constant twitching around each other. My first 2 juvie corns were cohabed, against sound advice and better judgment from people on this forum. Guess what, they were right. No my corns didn't eat each other but they were competing for dominance and as such one was smaller as he took longer to digest because the largest male wouldn't allow him to sit on the heat for long enough. You need to notice the little things to realise that a snake is stressed. Afterall, they show so little signs so any different or strange behaviour is an obvious sign there is someting wrong.

Nuff said. I won't lecture you too, just sharing my bad experience with cohabing...

Old 02-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #73
Tula_Montage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn7 View Post
I meant to say I want to know which is pooping
What would you do if you found a green runny poop that would require a vet check? Which snake do you take? All 3? Thats a mighty high vet bill...

Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #74
lyndy299
They are stressed because research has proven that...even though cohabbing has been done successfully in the past it is a risk that most owners would never even dream of taking...and that is why everyone is so concerned here.

Say someone came on here and said 'I swing my snake around by its tail, but it's still eating and shedding fine and doesn't seem to have any problems. I just thought I would share my sweet story about how much my corn loves to be swung around by me'. I'm quite sure you wouldn't be happy about that. These animals are capable to adapting to their surroundings which is why they have adapted so readily to captivity...which is why your snakes, as small as their brain capacity is, are making the best out of a pretty bad situation.

You've come on here and said you understand the risks and thats why you are seperating them. Now you've just said "I am not seperating them because I'm worried about them being eaten or even stress". Make your mind up.

And just because I want to, I'm going to throw a whole new idea in because I think your attitude has been that bad. You got these snakes at different times, different ages...did you quarantine them?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:47 PM   #75
Taryn7
Thank you Tula

I understand the part about the poop which is my reasoning behind seperating..

Old 02-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #76
v_various
Quote:
Ya - but how do we know that my 3 are at this point - stressed?
I'm no expert, but to me the biggest indicator is that this "liking each other" has never been observed in the wild. It is not a natural behavior, not something happy free corn snakes do. Dogs run in packs, rabbis warrens, cats colonies. Snakes do not seem to need or want any social interaction if they have any choice in the matter.

then you have all the cons (eating eachother, sickness, breeding too young) that everyone has covered, and ya, this site isn't so friendly toward people who post about how omgcute it is their snakes "like each other". It's poor planing, poor husbandry, and you put your pets at risk. No one here will respect that.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #77
Taryn7
If you read it properly - I said I am not seperating because I think they may eat each other, I AM seperating because of the poop issue. So I am still seperating..

Yes, the breeders quarantined for me for 6 weeks, I asked them to

Old 02-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #78
lyndy299
I understand you are seperating them. I think the point that you are going to seperate them at some time, whenever the rack happens to get finished is clear.
However, the reason for your attitude isn't.
My first response was decent. I told you about the views of this forum etc. I also wished you luck with your snakes....and my post was replied to with a sleeping smiley...because that's mature...*rolls eyes*
Well done for having them quarantined, however I'm under the impression that 60-90 days is the usual time...mostly on the higher end of the scale.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #79
susang
Quote:
Originally Posted by susang View Post
Joe don't you see it's us who isn't doing the reading she didn't ask for advice. I have no idea why anyone offers help or advice on this forum, uless we word it exactly as the OP chooses we are bad, evil people, bashing the poor newbie (well in this case she has expereince).
Quote:
I agree

Clever hey
Taryn you think I was agreeing with you, but NOT, "tongue in cheek" thing, or you might say "thumbing my nose" at you.
I do think you knew the reasons to not co-hab and didn't need to learn them from everybody here, your cheeky answer like "big enough" and "ghost,...,...,...," said it all. Then you graced us with your pictures and backed down with the 'tude. It didn't take long for it to come back though. I think you weren't the only one with insomnia. I think you should have accepted the advice and stopped there instead of telling us how to talk to you. Calling us bad people especially Lenny and Jen who said nothing offensive.
I'll have to agree with other Susan when something goes wrong some of us will sit back and laugh. Before you jump the no ones perfect band wagon, I make mistakes everyday if I ask for help I listen and accept what I can or ask more questions, but maybe this is a maturity thing, gawd knows at my age I should be mature (???) or not.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #80
Taryn7
It wasnt your post replied to with a sleepy smilie - it was the whole thread because I keep having to say the same thing over and over,,

And I repeat again - it will be here between now and 2 weeks max

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google