CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

Hooollooween Photo Contest?

Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #81
Susan
My eyes are hurting from spending all day updating my website, so I apologize if I repeat something that has already been "finalized" in a previous post...I've only hurriedly read each post.

There is a question about what to do in case of tie votes...easy...have a tie-breaking vote where only those photos are voted on by the membership.

You can list what prize is for what winning place, but the winner should be allowed to decline that particular prize for a "lower" prize if they want, and then the original prize just moves down the list. For example, the second place winner does not want that prize, preferring the fourth place prize. They get that prize and then the third place winner would get the second place prize and the fourth place winner gets the third place prize...everybody ends up happy! Someone also has the right to completely decline accepting any prize and then it just goes from there.

I don't know if anything was finalized concerning the number of entries per person, but I would suggest one entry per category per person, with the exception of the International...US members leave that one alone and International members can have that category broken up into the multiple ones like the US does, depending upon the number of prizes and entries obtained.

I can't think of anything else at the moment other than to me, photoshopping means more than adjusting the hue, contrast, etc. of a photo, so that soret of stuff should be allowed for the other category entries...just my opinion.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #82
TripleMoonsExotic
Ahh! You guys posted too much while I was at work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs InsaneOne
In order to avoid any seemingly unfairness, we could just assign a prize to each category, for the respective winners. That way, there's no room for anyone to say that they should have had a chance to pick first, but were unfairly overlooked.
I could live with this idea. We have 2 snake prizes per US category currently, so if you would be willing to figure out the split per category, that would be great. What I think would work is have the 2 snake prizes per category, and then the optional "Other Prizes" category could be used for those that don't want or can't have a snake prize, no need to split those up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUN
Suggestion - what about making a rule saying an image is disqualified if the person taking an image does anything ("judges" discretion) to tell people it is their photo: no posting images from the same shoot, no posting the same set of images on another form, no using the image as their avatar, etc
I actually meant to post this exact thing in the rules but forgot. You are 100% right and it will be added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosthousecorns
I am wondering since so many people are offering to donate prizes if it wouldn't make sense to have another contest later, like a Xmas or Thanksgiving one?
I agree with this. We should do a Thanksgiving and then a Christmas one too since 1) we have oddles of offers of prizes and 2) we have 3 holidays back to back which could make for some really fun photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by torsten
so does anyone have any ideas what those pictures will entail, what is the topic?
Being that it's a Halloween photo contest, the topic would be Halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
You can list what prize is for what winning place, but the winner should be allowed to decline that particular prize for a "lower" prize if they want, and then the original prize just moves down the list. For example, the second place winner does not want that prize, preferring the fourth place prize. They get that prize and then the third place winner would get the second place prize and the fourth place winner gets the third place prize...everybody ends up happy! Someone also has the right to completely decline accepting any prize and then it just goes from there.
This is specifically what I wanted to avoid. I want to give them options rather then them being stuck with whatever's in their prize field. Since we have two pairs of snakes per category (once Jen splits 'em up), the 1st place winner will have there pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
International...US members leave that one alone and International members can have that category broken up into the multiple ones like the US does, depending upon the number of prizes and entries obtained.
Maybe someone outside of the US would like to handle the International category and make those decisions? We could just keep it separate.

As for the additional snake prizes that are not currently listed in post #40...I would like to have those held off for the next contest(s). I think 2 pairs per category is good for a contest. So I don't miss any offers for prizes, please PM me with your donations so I can stick it in one list to use in the future (and perhaps leave some surprise for the next one). Any donations that are not of live animals I would like to just have a list posted so that winners can pick and choose.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #83
Lennycorn
This "Hooollooween Photo Contest" is for fun....right?

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM   #84
CassieK
something that I just thought of is copyright issues. I register some of my photos and thus they all have my name, copyright, in the bottom right corner. But the time allowed is not enough to register the image before judging. I am sure many people can be trusted on this site, but i just worry about theft of photos as it is hard to control on the internet, and I my want to sell the photos later. Please feel free to correct me in any way if I am wrong as i have just started really getting into photography as both a hobby and source of income. I would still very much like to have a photo contest. I also dont mean to cause more stress on those setting this up as im sure it has already become very stress. Thank you for your hard work

Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #85
bekers71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieK View Post
something that I just thought of is copyright issues. I register some of my photos and thus they all have my name, copyright, in the bottom right corner. But the time allowed is not enough to register the image before judging. I am sure many people can be trusted on this site, but i just worry about theft of photos as it is hard to control on the internet, and I my want to sell the photos later. Please feel free to correct me in any way if I am wrong as i have just started really getting into photography as both a hobby and source of income. I would still very much like to have a photo contest. I also dont mean to cause more stress on those setting this up as im sure it has already become very stress. Thank you for your hard work
I'm not real sure what to tell you on this. I know it's a concern but we don't have a way to guarantee some one wont steal a picture. Sorry

Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #86
TripleMoonsExotic
After much deliberation between Becky, Jen and myself...
The rules and information for the US Halloween Photo Contest have been posted.

Jen (MrsInsaneOne) will be posting the International Halloween Photo Contest soon.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #87
measley
yaaaay! you guys rock!!! I need to get imaginative now!!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 PM   #88
PJ@PJCReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tula_Montage View Post
Ahhh well I will have a think about something unusual/interesting for us internationals
You have very beautiful pieces of art my love! How about one of YOUR prints??? Would be a great prize in any country!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:55 PM   #89
Maize411
Talking

Alright time to get imaginative..lol

I donated a log hide in case anyone missed that as I didn't see it listed in the list of prizes on the official rules :0)

Old 10-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #90
Mrs InsaneOne
I didn't get a chance to post the link to the International Contest earlier, because Tim wanted to hang out and chat for a while, but it is up and can be found here:

Rules and Information about the International Halloween Contest

I know the prizes seem kind of skimpy, but I was hoping we'd get a few more offers for donations on the international side before the end of the contest. So, if you are interested in donating certificates, CS memberships, or think of something else... please let me know so I can get it added to the list.

Thanks! And I look forward to seeing all the entries. =)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google