CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
JustineNYC
What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard?

I know everyone here owns snakes and if you do, you no doubt have heard some incredibly dumb things from people who dont. Anything from people bragging about killing snakes just because they got onto their property, or just because they "dont like them"

Mine happened last year. My tenant had just had a baby and she told her step mom I was like the 'animal lady' and I owned snakes and her step mom flipped out.

Told her she needed to move because "the snakes would smell the baby's milk" and make their way down to her apartment.

Whats the dumbest you have heard?

Old 01-25-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
ghosthousecorns
I heard/read something about hybrids that I thought was kind of stupid. The discussion was on my local craigslist pets so I am not sure if it really applies to this thread because it wasnt about snakes but I will share it anyway.
OK so this person has a dog/wolf mix the dad is the dog and the mom is the wolf. They claim the dog is 97% wolf because the genes from the mother are more dominant than those from the father. A couple of people challenged it and the OP said a vet had tested the DNA and the dog was in fact 97% wolf. LOL

Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
RobbiesCornField
Besides "They eat RATS?! But can't you feed them crickets or something like that?!" when talking about a boa? I'm not entirely sure! LOL. But I'm sure I can think of something a little later.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
MinLynn
Same here, Robbie! Last week I got into a pretty heated argument with someone who claimed to be a zoologist and swore that I could convert my corns into eating insects instead of mice. Said it was inhumane of me to feed a fellow mammal to a reptile. She even asked me how I would like to be swallowed alive by one of my snakes. I had to explain to the "zoologist" that my snakes are constrictors and therefore would more than likely squeeze me to death before they swallowed me. Therefore, I wouldn't be alive when swallowed. I don't think she liked me much after that and has kindda disappeared from that section of the forum.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
Same here, Robbie! Last week I got into a pretty heated argument with someone who claimed to be a zoologist and swore that I could convert my corns into eating insects instead of mice. Said it was inhumane of me to feed a fellow mammal to a reptile. She even asked me how I would like to be swallowed alive by one of my snakes. I had to explain to the "zoologist" that my snakes are constrictors and therefore would more than likely squeeze me to death before they swallowed me. Therefore, I wouldn't be alive when swallowed. I don't think she liked me much after that and has kindda disappeared from that section of the forum.
Unless that snake is a GIANT racer, that wouldn't happen. LOL. Racers are one of the few snakes that prefer their prey live while eating. So nice to hear of these "zoologists"! I'm glad she didn't identify herself as a "herpetologist". That would've just cooked my cookies.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
MinLynn
But....but.....she's a zoologist! She's knows her stuff, man! She even explained to me how insects have the same amount of nutrients in them than a mammal! Mice are cute and have little personalities and just, how dare I!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #7
jazzgeek
Any and all correlations between snakes and Da Debbul.

Dale

Old 01-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
RobbiesCornField
Quote:
But....but.....she's a zoologist! She's knows her stuff, man! She even explained to me how insects have the same amount of nutrients in them than a mammal! Mice are cute and have little personalities and just, how dare I!
At that point, I probably would have said "Well, I'm sure that an entomologist would claim that insects are cute, and have personalities, too! Now what should I do? Should I feed my snake something that it's likely to eat in the wild with a much higher nutritional, or should I feed it something insubstantial and have it die just so you can sleep better at night?".
I really don't deal well with people who claim to be experts but turn out to be idiots. LOL.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
MinLynn
Her final say after she boo-hooed off was pretty much that owning snakes are wrong and we should just leave them in the wild where they belong.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:57 PM   #10
maxcherry
Quote:
Her final say after she boo-hooed off was pretty much that owning snakes are wrong and we should just leave them in the wild where they belong.
Doesn't that include chickens, cows, rabbits, sheep, dogs,etc as all animals are wild at one point of there existance and just because you buy cute little flopsy from the petshop doesn't mean it's not predisposed to be wild.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google