CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Miscellaneous Corn Snake Discussions This is a "none of the above" forum. All posts should still be related to cornsnakes in one form or another, but some slight off topic posting is fine.

I heard the MOST annoying thing about Corns....

Old 08-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #21
medusacoils
Ya know, it's funny. I brought this topic up before, because I have heard it. I was shocked, when I heard it the first time. Now, I get a chuckle out of these kinds of comments.

Wayne

Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #22
Pal-O-Mine
The way I was brought up, snakes are no more evil than sharks, bats, bugs, a virus, a parasite etc. Each will do what it needs to do to survive. Does that make it evil??? Certainly not! Its our view of such animals, ( normally learned or taught to us in childhood ) that makes the creature SEEM evil. I don't like spiders. Does that make them evil? Absolutely not! I even held a tarantula at a local Faerie Festival. (Of course if it had moved the least little bit in my hand, I would have screamed and it would have gone flying! Poor critter! My issue not the spider's.)

Devon

Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #23
COerriccaRN
lol, Noname what you said is kinda funny. I would say those things to other people, but its my family. What can you say? I do love them, but they are closed minded(sometimes...a little).

Anyway, I'm glad a few people on here are former pastors and all. I actually printed out Russels post and showed it to my mom. She still things the snake is cursed, and because of the curse it crawls on its belly...but she doesn't beleive its "bad" really anymore...

Apparently this is an ongoing debate between snake people/snake haters.

My uncle still thinks its trashy to own a snake, but we hardly ever talk to him for that reason(he is RUDE). But I have a snake, and I am in NO WAY a trashy person I know that no one else on here is either...

Old 08-11-2009, 11:46 PM   #24
Medevil_Nuke
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medevil_Nuke View Post
On a side note. Being Catholic I personally find it absolutely hilarious when people such as those that you mentioned completely misunderstand God's teachings and twist his sacred texts into meaning things for their own intentions; that is just lacking some serious respect man!
In my home country they would be beaten for making lies about the bible.

But I'm not trying to start a big religion thing, just my thoughts.
Oh Goody, I knew somebody would open it up, throw down the staff so to speak.

If I may ask for a clarification, what you are saying is that if people don’t agree with your understanding of “the sacred text” then they are laughable, disrespectful, and should be beaten. Is that what you mean? Isn’t that as narrow minded as the people who think that snakes are of the devil?
Hmmm? Oh no no no, that is not what I am insinuating.
What I was merely stating is that I find it laughable how universal truths and wisdom written within ""the sacred text"" can and is often distorted into a weapon that certain group's exploit as ways of validating their claims and believes for their cause. Ex: racial injustice, ethnic cleanings, interpretations of cosmic events, the meaning of life and its value, how one should act ect....

That last comment was also just an example about how "unaccepting" people are to new ideas, not my own thoughts.

I understand this is getting a bit too out of hand so I'm going to kill this now and not respond to any more comments pertaining my blatantly stated words.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #25
COerriccaRN
And I wasn't trying to bring up a religion thing...it just says in the bible that God cursed the devil to crawl on his belly and eat the dust of the earth...which is where my mom gets the snake/devil/cursed thing...

Also, just to defend my mom, she IS halfway joking(although she hates the snake.)

I'm not gonna defend my Uncle though...he makes no sense.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 AM   #26
vetusvates
Quote:
Originally Posted by COerriccaRN View Post
My uncle still thinks its trashy to own a snake, but we hardly ever talk to him for that reason(he is RUDE). But I have a snake, and I am in NO WAY a trashy person I know that no one else on here is either...
Emily, now that, I think, is the funniest post so far. I'd love to meet your uncle. He sounds like a riot.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 AM   #27
COerriccaRN
Oh, he is a riot and he says everything for good fun...but STILL.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:09 AM   #28
Russell
hmmm...I REALLY need to write an update to that little writing of mine... There's other things I've found... The bible is indeed too often used as an excuse for some groups to pull the stunts that they do. And there is no denomination that I know of that is innocent of such things! Frankly too few people bother to read through it and really let it sink in what is being said. I love coming across passages that suddenly I'm going, oh hey wait, that applies to this other situation way back over here that I read and... Anyhow, maybe someday I'll get some free time and write it up better and with the additions that I have in mind. I read it again tonight and though, blegh, come on, you can do better than this...LOL! We are our own worst critic!

Anyhow, glad you guys liked it anyway. And yeah, your not going to convince those who claim to have a religious arguement why they hate snakes. But at least you can show direct from the bible which they claim to follow, that their arguement holds no water.

Maybe I could like, write a little booklet and sell it for a gazillion dollars at reptile shows...dude, I'd be a millionaire! Just think!

Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 AM   #29
Russell
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I think we have learned a valuable lesson here. Don’t ever get into it with religious people. No matter what your position or theirs. They will talk you to death and then beat your broken body with the book.
Have totally been there and done that! Was a time that I just didn't know the bible like I do now! This little write up I hope will let those who are Christians realize that there is no biblical condemnation for keeping snakes! I've had it in the past where people strongly told me it was a sign I was possesed by the devil and garbage like that! When the bible simply does NOT teach that at all! But regardless, they'll try to hold to their personal beliefs rather than the bible verses so plainly shown to light!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #30
Cornsnake124
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinLynn View Post
We got into a conversation and he said that there is no definitive proof that it was a snake in the bible or an apple for that matter(we're Methodist).
1. the proof is the bible
2. our priest (we are roman catholic) said that only that particular snake was possessed by the devil and that it wasn't all of snake kind...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google