• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Daytona 2009

I wish I could go, but I've got no vacation time for work :( I'll try next year though, it sounds like a lot of you get together every year.

There's a possibility that Tara and I might be able to make it... unfortunately we're probably not going to know for sure until a little later in the year. How long are those rates good for??

I will find out!

Cause if roomie comes i need to find a place for the dogs to go
I will have to see if they accept dogs. If they do, hotels normally do not like dogs left in the room during the day while the occupant is out - and dogs are not allowed in the convention center.
They also normally have a size limit on dogs, how many are allowed per room and charge an additional fee for having one in the room.
Max occupancy normally in these rooms is 3-4 people. I do not believe they have a pull out sleeper/sofa.

More information from the hotel on how long we have to book the rooms and get these rates, how many days before/after the weekend we are eligible for these rates, and the hotel cancellation policy:

"They can book 2 days before and 2 days after the event and get the discounted rates. The last day to reserve rooms is August 1, 2009. After that date it will be based on a space available basis and rates will not be guaranteed. The cancellation policy is 6pm the day of arrival. As long as the room is cancelled prior to 6pm the day they are scheduled to arrive, they have no cancellation fees."

That is a very nice looking hotel! We usually stay at the Super 8, and so do Chuck and Connie, and usually a couple of other friends. I think it is usually about the same price as you quoted. The only negative is that it is on the mainland, and a bit further from all of the Expo activity.

If we had our "cornsnake dinner" in their meeting room, would their restaurant serve there, or would we have to get a catering service?

If we did have a nice, big meeting room like that for the dinner, it seems like we should have some sort of speaker(s), or contest, or awards, or just a few people giving short presentations about their newest projects - some sort of focus to go beyond just our own tables for discussion.

Is it possible to get those kind of rates at a hotel closer to the Expo? And how many rooms would we have to take in order to get that rate?

That is a very nice looking hotel! We usually stay at the Super 8, and so do Chuck and Connie, and usually a couple of other friends. I think it is usually about the same price as you quoted. The only negative is that it is on the mainland, and a bit further from all of the Expo activity.

If we had our "cornsnake dinner" in their meeting room, would their restaurant serve there, or would we have to get a catering service?

If we did have a nice, big meeting room like that for the dinner, it seems like we should have some sort of speaker(s), or contest, or awards, or just a few people giving short presentations about their newest projects - some sort of focus to go beyond just our own tables for discussion.

Is it possible to get those kind of rates at a hotel closer to the Expo? And how many rooms would we have to take in order to get that rate?

It is about 5miles from the convention center - straight shot out to the beach. They also offer a free hot continental breakfast every morning.
I doubt that I could get a rate this good at a similar or nicer hotel on the beach without a guarantee of many more rooms than I think we might be able to confirm. I think part of the reason they are giving me such a good rate is because I was there last year and became friendly with the manager.

As far as holding some kind of get together at the hotel - I am not sure if they have a catering department there - but if they did - it would more than likely be an additional cost - or a cost to have something catered in.
Since they are an all suite hotel geared towards long term stay people - they do not have a restaurant on site or offer room service.

We could probably look into getting a budget priced catering service, like Boston Market or Sonny's BBQ or something similar. Maybe with the bad economy, somebody will be "hungry" for the business, lol!

i'll be hopefully coming to daytona as ong as i get the money saved up

wish i could fly but at this point it unless the flight was super cheap i'll be traveling by bus and will be stuck in said bus for almost 2 days....not loooking forward to that but am looking forward to going to daytona and meeting people from here on CS.com

Are you talking about Tropical Storm Fay? Or Hurricane Charlie?

Hurricane Charlie. When my friend and I left Ky at 3am it was not supposed to get anywhere near Daytona. When we hit Fl around 4pm it was going to cross the state and hit Daytona.

On Sat after the storm no one had power and I thought the show would be cancelled but we checked anyway. Two blocks before you we arrived at the show there were stop lights on. We joked all that weekend that the rodent vendors had them hooked to wheels to provide power.

I don't remember what number Charlie was for me. LOL. I was down in Naples at the time. It was definitely fun! I remember when the eye had a perfect number 2 in it on the radar. Just before it made the turn.

I wish the whole darn country wasn't in between me and the expo. :awcrap:

Katie, what is the date of the expo? I tried to search for the info, but I could only find dates for last year's expo. I'm not sure if the expo is the same date every year or not. I also tried to get a flight price, but couldn't find that out without the date!
Since you're the expert however, any idea what a flight from Oregon to Florida would be?

*sigh, this is probably all just wishful thinking..

Jessica, I just booked a flight out of San Jose and it was $350 after all the taxes and airport fees (around $280 before). Tampa is a bit of a drive but the flights seem to be a lot cheaper going in and out of there.

Want to come pick me up on your way Carol? :D

Sadly, I'll have to miss this one too. Seems like I keep saying that... In all actuality, I'll probably have to miss the next 3 :( But after that, I'll be hitting it up every year! Have fun for us lame people that can't make it!

Hey maybe one of these days, some of yous can haul out for our Tucson show. Sure its not Daytona, but it is pretty darn neat.

Want to come pick me up on your way Carol? :D

Sadly, I'll have to miss this one too. Seems like I keep saying that... In all actuality, I'll probably have to miss the next 3 :( But after that, I'll be hitting it up every year! Have fun for us lame people that can't make it!

Hey maybe one of these days, some of yous can haul out for our Tucson show. Sure its not Daytona, but it is pretty darn neat.

There are so many people I want to "pick up" and bring. Hang in there. I've been saying "next year" for seven years now. I just couldn't take it anymore, especially with Rich not having keepers this year...

Back