CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

How many of each?

Old 08-02-2014, 04:19 AM   #1
blujp
How many of each?

I haven't got a snake yet but I'm doing a lot of research beforehand. I was hoping to go to the All Ohio Reptile show in September to pick up a corn and get some feeders while I'm there but apparently I'm working that weekend. So now I'll be getting a snake from one of the breeders on this site (I have my eyes on a few babies but we'll see what's available after I get my refund from school).

Anyway, that means I'll have to order feeders online (I can check the Petsmart but I've heard the quality and price isn't very good). In order to make the shipping worth it I would have to buy several is there anyway to guesstimate how many of each sizes I would need (if I purchased them from laynelabs which have small bags of multiple sizes) or would I be better off just sticking with Petsmart feeders (if they have any) and going to the reptile show the next month?

Old 08-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #2
smigon
Since it is only for one snake, I would go with Layne Labs. You will have to go by the size of the snake in gram weight, and snakes gain (I believe) 1/3 of the prey weight. So you will have to do some math in figuring out how many to order relying on that 1/3 figure.

Here is the Munson Plan which is a bit aggressive for babies and smaller snakes, you can let them grow a few grams more before moving up a size in prey.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
blujp
Thanks!(yay, math ;_; ). I wish there was some place within driving distance that had frozen feeders without trying to figure out if I'll be able to make it to a show, but alas Ohio doesn't seem to have any.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Shaggy
When I got my snake at a show, I also picked up a bag of 50 pinkies and 50 fuzzies. At the price, and since I was at the show anyway, there was no competition. The ones from the show were not uniformly sorted in size - which was good because I had a variety of small to large of pinkies and fuzzies. I often would double up and feed two pinks, two fuzzies, or a fuzzie and a pink, etc., as the snake grew (in appitite and size).
I ended up using about 40 or so of the pinkies, and about 30 of the fuzzies before stepping up to Big Cheese small adults - which I ordered along with what will be more than a year's supply of regular adult mice.
At the price paid at the reptile show, I am still ahead on price compared to ordering and paying shipping, or making the many trips to Petsmart and buying overpriced, questionable pinkies. I could throw the rest away and be ahead. I kept the the overstocked and fuzzies in the freezer though, so I use them as fishing bait, or to feed an occasional wild-caught and released reptile guest that my kids find.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google