• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Yearling Corn, adult mice to small?

just a reply to all the newer posts on this thread!

Sirius is just over the 300 gram mark still i think he weighed in last time at 308 or something along those lines, still getting one adult mouse every 10 days now. Which has been nice, he's out hunting a lot more in the last few days before feeding. :)

but I am being cautious with his feedings now, he gets weighed before every meal so i can track his weight. and he's doing just great!

Keep in mind that snakes grow at different rates. It's not just about genetics or what you feed them (*I'll comment on that in a minute).
I've had sibling babies from the same clutch, on the same feeding schedule, being fed the same prey that have grown at a noticeably different rate. At a year, a couple were on the small side, some were "average" and a few were huge.

I've never seen an overweight youngin. They're using everything to grow. It's when they're done growing, if over fed, that they start getting overweight.

Some are just bigger than others.

As far as food, while some corns do get rather large, even the largest ones really don't need anything bigger than an XL Adult mouse. I have fed a couple of very large (800-ish grams) an XL Adult mouse, but everything under 500-600 grams gets Large Adult mice. Females about every 7 days, males about every 14 days.

Rats are higher in fat, and will eventually cause the Corn to be fat. While some people do feed rats to corns, I think it's excessive.

As far as food, while some corns do get rather large, even the largest ones really don't need anything bigger than an XL Adult mouse. I have fed a couple of very large (800-ish grams) an XL Adult mouse, but everything under 500-600 grams gets Large Adult mice. Females about every 7 days, males about every 14 days.

Rats are higher in fat, and will eventually cause the Corn to be fat. While some people do feed rats to corns, I think it's excessive.

Going to resurrect this thread. I know we talked about it in a previous thread you help me with, but for the sake of clarity: How many grams is a large adult? XL adult?

I've had sibling babies from the same clutch, on the same feeding schedule, being fed the same prey that have grown at a noticeably different rate. At a year, a couple were on the small side, some were "average" and a few were huge.

Plus, once there's a gap, caused by whatever, all it does is widen. I had a clutch a couple years ago where one baby hatched and shed and ate, and the others were four or five days behind, so when they ate, the first one got fed again. He was always a step ahead of them, and got onto fuzzies way ahead, then hoppers, and he was easily twice the size of his clutchmates by the time he was a year old.

In a reverse situation, if a baby refuses the first one or two meals, or has a regurge, that's enough to set it way behind the siblings. They all average out eventually, at 3-5 years of age. Usually.

Based on my experience I think a small extra amount of food can make quite a difference on growth rate without becoming fat. My two snakes are almost 2 & 1/2 years old. Rigby was ever so slightly larger when I got them a year ago, so I always subconsciously fed him the larger of the two mice at every feeding. Now he is several inches longer and much heavier than Marceline, but he isn't fat and she isn't starving. He just grew faster.

Rats actually have a smaller percentage of fat and a little higher calcium than mice. I feed my oldest corn one small rat every 3 weeks. When i take him to shows they tell me he is one of the most beautiful corns they've ever seen.
aqu6uqu5.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Here is a pick I just took a minute ago and he just ate his rat about an hour ago. Hes still pretty active at the moment
yhe3u8yr.jpg

Going to resurrect this thread. I know we talked about it in a previous thread you help me with, but for the sake of clarity: How many grams is a large adult? XL adult?

You mean on the feeders, correct?
Depends on the vendor.
Layne Labs large (20-30) Xlarge (30-50)

Rodent Pro large (18-24) Xlarge (24-45)

But that should give you a general idea. :)

Rats actually have a smaller percentage of fat and a little higher calcium than mice. I feed my oldest corn one small rat every 3 weeks. When i take him to shows they tell me he is one of the most beautiful corns they've ever seen.

I think you got it backwards:
Adult rat fat 32.6%
Adult mouse fat 23.6%

It really does depend on the source of info and the size and age of the prey. Here is one reference I use. Since I use small rats I refernce the Juvenile rat in comparison to an adult mouse. I believe rats are a little hugher protein percent as well.
Juvenile rat 56% protein 27% fat

Adult mouse 55% protein 24% fat

Here is a pick I just took a minute ago and he just ate his rat about an hour ago. Hes still pretty active at the moment
yhe3u8yr.jpg

He's really beautiful, but I think he is outgrowing his tank! Corns like to stretch out, and also a hide at each end is recommended, one over the UTH and one on the cool side. I think that the recommendation for the length of the viv is a minimum of 3/4 the length of the snake.

They also LOVE ground cover, adding some plastic or silk foliage would not only look nice but give him some more places to explore through.

He's really beautiful, but I think he is outgrowing his tank! Corns like to stretch out, and also a hide at each end is recommended, one over the UTH and one on the cool side. I think that the recommendation for the length of the viv is a minimum of 3/4 the length of the snake.

They also LOVE ground cover, adding some plastic or silk foliage would not only look nice but give him some more places to explore through.

Breeders keep their snakes in sweater boxes. This is a 20gallon long. I live in florida so very rarely even use heat. I may switch it on for a few days after feeding if i remember. He is perfectly fine. Ive raised him from a hatchling now he is 9 years old going on 10. And corns are agoraphobic they like closed in spaces. I had him housed in a spare 55gallon for a year or so and all he did was hide. Hes frequently out and about back in a 20 the last few years.

This is what im talking about right here...

It really does depend on the source of info and the size and age of the prey. Here is one reference I use. Since I use small rats I refernce the Juvenile rat in comparison to an adult mouse. I believe rats are a little hugher protein percent as well.
Juvenile rat 56% protein 27% fat

Adult mouse 55% protein 24% fat

In your source the rat still has more fat as I was saying.. It's pretty much commonly accepted by the corn community that rats are more fattening for corns. Unless you can't get mice (highly unlikely as there are numerous suppliers that ship right to you door) there really is no reason to feed rats.

In your source the rat still has more fat as I was saying.. It's pretty much commonly accepted by the corn community that rats are more fattening for corns. Unless you can't get mice (highly unlikely as there are numerous suppliers that ship right to you door) there really is no reason to feed rats.

Yeah your right. Its been a while since I looked at that info. Only my oldest is on small adult rats and it works for him. He only eats every 2-3 weeks

Back