CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Best place to buy

Old 05-29-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
MrTisdale
Best place to buy

Hey guys I have a baby corn snake not sure if it's a boy or a girl and how old it is lol . My question is where is a good place to buy pinky mice? I fed my snake 1 today (1st time feeding with great success). i just purchased from a petssupermarket (only place in town I know to get them ) and I paid 2.45$ for 1 pinky... I'd love to be able to order some but I don't wanna go crazy on bulk packages for just 1 baby corn snake that may grow out of that size . What are your suggestions? I'd like to stock up on food so I won't ever have to worry about not being able to feed.

Thanks for you help

Old 05-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
With only one snake, ordering online may not be the best option for you. However, if you're looking to buy smaller quantities, I recommend Layne Labs. They sell smaller quantities. I would probably buy several sizes ahead to make the shipping price worth it.

Also, there's a member here who owns a pet store in North Carolina. His username is Chip. I'm not sure how close his store is to where you're located, but you could try contacting him.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #3
MrTisdale
Ok ty I will def have to talk to him and see where his shop is. Looking at the Layne Labs website I noticed u can buy 10 which isn't bad at all. But how would I determine what size to buy it gives the length of the mice but don't I need to know the width of them? And how fast do snakes usually grow out of one size mouse to another? Thank you

Old 05-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
hypnoctopus
I've never been good at predicting how many mice I will need before the snake will need the next size, which is a great part of having multiple snakes!

How much does your snake weigh right now?

Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
MrTisdale
Im not sure on the weight. He/She is small probably 14" long and alittle wider then a pencil. I purchased it from Pets Mart and she told me it was maybe 3 months old if that helps. What would the best method be to weigh her/him and is that something i need to keep track of?

iv read the rule of thumb is to give them alittle bit wider then the widest part of their body is. The pinky i fed her/him today didnt have any hair so that would make it 1 day old right ? and it was same size or maybe alittle wider.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
hypnoctopus
Yes, the rule of thumb is 1.5x the middle of their body, but while he's a baby, you can feed him pinkies that are about as wide as his middle, or a little larger. The one you already fed him sounds like a good size for him.

You can get a cheap kitchen gram scale from Walmart or eBay. You don't HAVE to keep track of his weight, but it will help guide you on which size to feed him. Plus, it's neat to be able to track his growth!

Many people use the Munson plan as a guide for feeding, but I find it to be a bit more aggressive than what I find comfortable. Here's a link to it: http://medusa-corns.webs.com/feedingchart.htm

Old 05-30-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
NH93
I'd see if you could find someone local who breeds out of their home, perhaps as a small business or just for themselves. That's what I do my current supplier actually just closed but I found someone else using Kijiji (which is an online site similar to Craig's List). I asked a lot of questions about their set up and business and asked for photos.

If that doesn't work, see if you can get in contact with other herpers in your area and share some food! See if anyone else has hatchling and young corns or other snakes that feeds pinky mice and would like to split an order with you; for example, online sellers usually have a minimum quantity to sell. My previous supplier sold in bags of 25.

Try throwing an add out there on a website, or on forums (like this one!), or check out any local reptile clubs or expos coming up to meet people

All the best!

P.S.
I wouldn't even pay $2.45 for an adult mouse, never mind a pinky. What a rip-off!

Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
Nanci
Big Cheese Rodents is having a $25 shipping special now. You could buy a pack of large pinks, (there will be some smaller in there) a pack of hoppers and a pack of weanlings and that should last till he's on adults. That would be 50, 50 and 25, I think.

Old 05-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #9
MrTisdale
This is a stupid question but are weanlings the adults lol

Old 05-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
drybgerg
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTisdale View Post
This is a stupid question but are weanlings the adults lol
Weanlings are a class of adult mice that weigh 13-18 grams and are 3-4 weeks old. They are called weanings because they have just been weaned off of their mother.

Here are a couple guides to feeder sizes.

Rodent Pro

FrozenFeeder

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google