CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

$25 more for a feeder?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
HeavenHell
Unhappy $25 more for a feeder?

I've been seeing ads on kingsnake lately where folks are selling animals that are not eating F/T mice. The ads says they'll get them started for another $25/ per animal. Something about that doesn't sit right with me. Any thoughts?

Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 AM   #2
bitsy
I suppose as an unscrupulous seller it's worth a try. Maybe they'll sucker in someone inexperienced, who doesn't realise that a reputable seller would never sell a Corn that ate anything other than f/t.

Some reptiles do insist on live only, but I imagine either:
a) this would be a species-specific thing and nothing out-of-the-ordinary for some sorts of reptile, so the buyer will already be expecting it and it wouldnt affect the price.
or
b) the live preference is not normal and would usually result in the animal selling for less. In this case, I'd expect the seller to view it as a "problem animal" and bear the cost of conversion to f/t themselves.

IMHO the ad is an attempt to drill money out of people who don't know better. Shame on them.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
starsevol
I agree with Bitsy. I have seen animals advertised for sale with the "live only feeder" description, but at that point the buyer knows what he is getting and can make the choice whether or not to buy the animal.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Nanci
Usually you see them advertised the other way around- less for a snake that demands live, or that requires lizard-scenting, or out-of-egg. No one thinks any less of a breeder for offering a price reduction for a live-feeder, especially an adult.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Drizzt80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Usually you see them advertised the other way around- less for a snake that demands live, or that requires lizard-scenting, or out-of-egg. No one thinks any less of a breeder for offering a price reduction for a live-feeder, especially an adult.
Interesting the power of advertisement isn't it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsy View Post
I suppose as an unscrupulous seller it's worth a try.

IMHO the ad is an attempt to drill money out of people who don't know better. Shame on them.
What is unscrupulous about selling nonfeeders cheaper than feeders? You better check the for sale ads here because by your logic, Carol, Jeff Mohr, Susan and a bunch of others are unscrupulous . . . 50% out of egg specials, not guaranteed feeders? Same thing. Shoot, on a $100 snake you're paying $50 more for a feeder!

D80

Old 08-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #6
ceduke
I don't see anything unscrupulous about it! If you want them to put in extra time and work with a particular animal, they're offering to do it for a fee. Sounds 100% reasonable to me. LOTS of people sell non-feeders cheaper, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #7
cornsnakeforsale_com
Well, if the ad has them priced $25 less to get you in the door, then you realize the actual price is higher, that's kinda a cheap gimmick in my mind. If they're more up front about it, it's odd but not that bad. It's when you get into false advertising that it's a problem.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Nanci
So what kind of snakes were the snakes for sale on Kingsnake, anyway?? Something that is notoriously hard to start on FT mice, or something that you would expect to feed on FT with no problems, but the person just wants them out the door??

Old 08-14-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
So what kind of snakes were the snakes for sale on Kingsnake, anyway?? Something that is notoriously hard to start on FT mice, or something that you would expect to feed on FT with no problems, but the person just wants them out the door??
Just what I was thinking...grayband hatchlings immediately comes to mind as one I would expect to see such an ad for.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
Emanon
seems fine with me. read the add... buy what the add says... or don't!

I sell nonfeeders from time to time... they are greatly discounted and PLAINLY labeled as nonfeeders.

No harm no foul!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google