CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Post Feeding Defensive Behavior: Is it Normal?

Old 10-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #1
Pudge Toad
Post Feeding Defensive Behavior: Is it Normal?

My new baby cornsnake is very nice when I handle her, never striking or showing any defensive behavior, but after I feed her she is much more defensive, rearing up and striking sometimes. I know snakes feel threatened when they are heavy from a meal but will she grow out of this as she gets used to me? Thanks for any advice!

Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #2
Dragonling
She's trying to tell you what the rest of the hobby will repeat...leave her alone while she's digesting. Some are more defensive than others, but most of mine will either get annoyed at disturbance within a day or two of feeding or decide that my hand looks like delicious seconds.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #3
Pudge Toad
I don't touch her for two days after I feed, but I'm talking about getting her back in the tank.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Dragonling
Heh, yeah that's pretty normal. It's honestly one of the reasons I stopped moving to feed. The process of moving them back always seemed excessively stressful for some. It can be helpful to use a feeding bin that will fit inside the cage. Then you can slowly turn it to the side and let her flee to the safety of her hides without the intervention of spooky hands.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
Pudge Toad
Thanks for the info!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #6
Nanci
Snakes stay in "feeding mode" for a few minutes after they are done feeding. You can either let her relax for a few minutes, or just pick her up and ignore the behavior. It becomes a "problem" when the snake is still hungry, and goes after any moving object- like your hand!

I have always fed in separate containers from the first meal forward and not had problems. My snakes just get used to it. I like to feed outside the viv for several reasons. You handle the snake and detect any problems by visual inspection. You can get a weight at a scheduled time, and get in the habit of weighing regularly. The snake gets handled, and gets used to being handled. Babies (and adults) can be trained to come to the front of their viv on feeding day when you knock. it's kind of fun. While the snake is out, you can spot clean, take the water bowl out and wash and refill, or even do a full bedding change.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:44 PM   #7
Karl_Mcknight
I allow my snake to crawl out of his "Feeding Box" on his own. He usually eats his mouse and looks around the feeding bin as if he's looking for more. I have no doubt that if I stuck my hands in there I'd get bit. Snakes have a "Look" about them when they are in feeding mode. You need to learn to recognize that "Look."

Anyway, after he's swallowed the mouse, he will eventually crawl out of the feeding box (usually within a few minutes of eating) and once he's out of the box, he's a regular sweetheart again, and I can easily pick him up.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:10 PM   #8
Weebonilass
When mine were little, I would sort of tip them back into their cages so I didn't bother their stomachs. I'm still somewhat careful removing them from their cages. That said, a couple of night ago, my oldest (11 yrs old), Daire, struck me several times after downing his dinner. Out of character totally. I think it was due to the lights still being off... my youngest (7 yrs old) is still a shy eater and will take forever to eat if the lights are off. It's the only thing I could thing of... he will sometimes take me before dinner is served, but it was first after.

So I would be willing to bet he'll outgrow it.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:12 PM   #9
Weebonilass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
Snakes stay in "feeding mode" for a few minutes after they are done feeding. You can either let her relax for a few minutes, or just pick her up and ignore the behavior. It becomes a "problem" when the snake is still hungry, and goes after any moving object- like your hand!

I have always fed in separate containers from the first meal forward and not had problems. My snakes just get used to it. I like to feed outside the viv for several reasons. You handle the snake and detect any problems by visual inspection. You can get a weight at a scheduled time, and get in the habit of weighing regularly. The snake gets handled, and gets used to being handled. Babies (and adults) can be trained to come to the front of their viv on feeding day when you knock. it's kind of fun. While the snake is out, you can spot clean, take the water bowl out and wash and refill, or even do a full bedding change.
Exactly why Kathy Love told me to feed them in a different bin when I bought my first guy from her. I often take my pictures at this time also... it keeps them from coming out of their homes in feeding mode

Old 10-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #10
Pudge Toad
Thanks for all the advice!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google