CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Behavior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Behavior General topics or questions concerning the way your cornsnake may be acting.

"Pickles, would you lay down!"

Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Kaynein
"Pickles, would you lay down!"

So, my assumed female, maybe male...I never had the snake probed...anyway she is very active these past few weeks. I know it's starting to look a lot like spring out there. I live in Northern MD. But this is crazy. My three year old corn snake will not stop zooming around her enclosure. She's been so active that I removed her log jungle gym as she's been crawling sometimes and then crashes down in the middle of the night - quite hard. I worry she might break a rib or something. She's already roughed up her scales a bit. Some are bent back, and pinched. So, any expert advice would be wonderful...

Is she bored? 20g long tank, had a toy, has a nice rock den, fresh water...
Is she too hot? I use a 60w day bulb, and a 75w night bulb. My basement can get chilly at night, the light clicks on at 9pm. Should I let her cool down at night? This basement gets like 65 degrees at night, maybe less. I worried myself into getting the night bulb since this winter was rather cold.
Does it have something to do with mating? Maybe Pickles is male searching for a mate? She spends a lot of her time with her nose to the screen lid, trying to escape her tank.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #2
Kali
She might be too hot with those bulbs. what are your temps?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Kaynein
During the day my temps are about 75/85. Cool side is 70ish.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
proileri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaynein View Post
Does it have something to do with mating? Maybe Pickles is male searching for a mate? She spends a lot of her time with her nose to the screen lid, trying to escape her tank.
Yes, it's starting to be the reproductive season, and that makes snakes more adventurous than usual. My 1 1/2 yo female has been all over the place for the past couple of weeks, even during daylight hours.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Kaynein
She has damaged some of her scales though, it is concerning. She is constantly trying to escape her tank, she never seems at rest.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:50 PM   #6
VampMN
How are you measuring her temperatures? Does she seem like she's just restless, or does she seem frantic?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google