CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Concerns about rising mice

Old 08-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #1
Vexillum1
Concerns about rising mice

My concern is potentially getting sick from my feeders, since mice are known for carrying diseases.
I have read that disease from them can become airborne from dust, I'm assuming from their own bedding mixed with urin, feces etc.

I have a small colony already that I keep out in the garage. I got them from pet stores, and recently I got a trio from a breeder.
I did bring in a batch of wild baby mice I found in bag of soil (didn't know they were in there when taking the soil to a job site) and tride to introduce them to a mother mouse I already had, hoping she would foster them. Turned out she rejected them and ate a couple.
Now I'm concerned she may have potentially contracted something from the wild mice babies (she seems fine, and so do her other babies)

Long story short
Has anyone ever gotten sick from their own feeder mice?
I'm wondering if I should just feed f/t mice instead.
I have quite a few corn snakes (close to 20, most are hatchlings.)

Any advice appreciated! Thank you.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
Twolunger
I would never bring wild mice into my rodent colony. I have started colonies from pet store mice or rats with no problems. Mice can be infected with salmonella so make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after cleaning their enclosures. You may want to wear plastic or latex gloves if you are concerned about it. The last large colony we started was with rodents that came from a company that provides laboratory rodents. I only feed frozen/thawed now, but if I start another colony it will be with lab mice. If you search online for diseases that mice can transmit to humans you won't be able to sleep at night. As a kid I had pet mice in my bedroom all the time and I'm still here, and didn't spread the bubonic disease to anyone.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:20 AM   #3
regnar
I haven't heard of anyone getting sick from their own feeder mice but I'd be wary about introducing wild mice to your colony. If you want to be really sure, I suggest you exterminate all your current mice that came i contact with the wild mice. And start from scratch again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google