CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Virgin corns

Old 04-24-2019, 02:46 PM   #1
Rawren
Virgin corns

soo...the lack of locking still continues. Everyone seems interested (ie, twitching,little tail wriggling from the mail, even tail straight up, and the girls will even 'assume the position' and lift up) but no one has locked!!!

I've tried putting them in smaller tub so that they have to touch each other - I was finding that the bigger the enclosure, the more distracted they would get. And I've misted the tub and put one of the girls' sheds in there. I've even borrowed my nephew's male and let his scent get on the girls to try to induce a feeling of competition. Whether it's on their schedule or not, if it rains, I pair them up.

Not sure why there has been no lock. I know everyone says they're easy but damn are mine being difficult.

halp!

Old 04-25-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Dragonling
They're just not ready yet, or you've missed an ovulation. Some females will only be receptive for a week or two at most. Did you brumate? If so, when did you wake them up? How heavily did you feed? How certain are you on sexes? Even seasoned breeders have occasionally been wrong. A friend of mine put a "male" Anery with a "female" Coral snow and came back to find it was the other way around entirely. Three of my girls showed no interest in breeding this year, possibly because I didn't feed them heavily like some of the others (they're starting to border on chubby and didn't want to exacerbate that).

Old 04-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
albinoscooby
I'm in the same boat as you. I've tried it all, and so far nothing. Some are having luck with locks lately, but it's not a guarantee. Sometimes you just have to roll the dice and hope for the best.

Unfortunately, somtimes it just doesn't happen flat out like Dragonling said. I've had 2/5 females breed in a season before. I even tried multiple males, it just happens

Old 04-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
Rawren
They brumated. I used the VMS herp site as a guide. Been pairing them every other / few days so I wouldn't miss ovulation. Everyone keeps acting like they're ready to breed but just never lock.
Sexes have been confirmed multiple times by different people too.
They show every sign of wanting to breed just never lock

Old 04-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #5
Twolunger
Despite all the theories about brumation, increasing the sperm count, etc, the key is that brumation gets the corns into the breeding cycle fast. Brumation is not required to have corns successfully mate. I don't brumate my corns, however, it's a bit more of a challenge to get them cycling properly. I start out early in the spring combining the pairs. I leave them together until feeding time, when I separate them. After feeding and when they defecate, I combine them again. The only reason to keep them separate until defecation is that I don't want the male chasing the female through piles of feces. Typically I find the pairs cuddled up together, although I may not see a tail lock. After the pairs have been together for 3 or 4 weeks I try to feel if there are any eggs developing in the females. It helps if someone with sensitive fingers allows the female to slither through their hands while feeling along the underside of the corn. Sometimes you will luck out and see a tail lock after combining them again after feeding, but it isn't necessary to see it, only the results.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google